How to echo to stdout?

Peng Yu
Hi,

The following command does not echo anything to stdout.

~/linux/bin/xplat/src/vim/vimS/main$ cat main.vimrc
:echo "Hello world"
:q
~/linux/bin/xplat/src/vim/vimS/main$ vim -S main.vimrc

Is there a way to echo the message to stdout? Also what is the fd
number that echo print to by default and how it implement in vim?
Thanks.

Regard,
Peng

Re: How to echo to stdout?

Asis Hallab-2
Hi there!

2013/6/2 Peng Yu <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> The following command does not echo anything to stdout.
>
> ~/linux/bin/xplat/src/vim/vimS/main$ cat main.vimrc
> :echo "Hello world"

:!echo "Hello world!

You do need the exclamation mark.

Cheers!

> :q
> ~/linux/bin/xplat/src/vim/vimS/main$ vim -S main.vimrc
>
> Is there a way to echo the message to stdout? Also what is the fd
> number that echo print to by default and how it implement in vim?
> Thanks.
>
> Regard,
> Peng

> ---

Asis Hallab
Rothehausstr. 6 - 12
50823 Köln

Skype: asis.hallab.cgn
Fest (Köln) 42346046
Mobil  (O2) 0176 63370211
Fax 01212 - 5 - 30697106

Re: How to echo to stdout?

Peng Yu
That is not what I'm looking for. I need to somehow redirect that
output that is not to stdout to stdout.

For example, I want to see the output of "set filetype" on stdout.

~/linux/test/vim/man/variable/filetype$ cat main.vimrc
set filetype
~/linux/test/vim/man/variable/filetype$ vim -S main.vimrc

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 1:03 AM, Asis Hallab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> 2013/6/2 Peng Yu <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The following command does not echo anything to stdout.
>>
>> ~/linux/bin/xplat/src/vim/vimS/main$ cat main.vimrc
>> :echo "Hello world"
>
> :!echo "Hello world!
>
> You do need the exclamation mark.
>
> Cheers!
>
>> :q
>> ~/linux/bin/xplat/src/vim/vimS/main$ vim -S main.vimrc
>>
>> Is there a way to echo the message to stdout? Also what is the fd
>> number that echo print to by default and how it implement in vim?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Regard,
>> Peng
>>
>> --
>> --
>>
>> ---

> Asis Hallab
> Rothehausstr. 6 - 12
> 50823 Köln
>
> Skype: asis.hallab.cgn
> Fest (Köln) 42346046
> Mobil  (O2) 0176 63370211
> Fax 01212 - 5 - 30697106

> ---

Peng

Re: How to echo to stdout?

Christian Brabandt
Hi Peng!

On Sa, 01 Jun 2013, Peng Yu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The following command does not echo anything to stdout.
>
> ~/linux/bin/xplat/src/vim/vimS/main$ cat main.vimrc
> :echo "Hello world"
> :q
> ~/linux/bin/xplat/src/vim/vimS/main$ vim -S main.vimrc

:h xterm-screens

#v+
~$ cat main.vimrc set t_ti= t_te=
echo "Hello world"
~$ vim -S main.vimrc
Hello world
~$
#v-

Alternatively, tell vim you are using a dumb terminal (then you don't
need to reset t_ti and t_te):

#v+
~$ TERM=dumb vim -S main.vimrc

Hello world
~$
#v-

regards,
Christian
--
Es gibt Tiere, die kein Fleisch fressen, z.B. unsere Kühe. Wenn wir
das Experiment machen könnten, eine Ochsenherde mit Fleisch zu

Re: How to echo to stdout?

Peng Yu
> #v+
> ~$ cat main.vimrc set t_ti= t_te=
> echo "Hello world"
> ~$ vim -S main.vimrc
> Hello world
> ~$
> #v-

I'm not sure what you meant here. Did you mean the following?

vim -c 'set t_ti= t_te=' -S main.vimrc

But then I see many empty lines (more than a screen) printed before
"Hello World" is printed.

Peng

Re: How to echo to stdout?

Christian Brabandt
Hi Peng!

On So, 02 Jun 2013, Peng Yu wrote:

> > #v+
> > ~$ cat main.vimrc set t_ti= t_te=
> > echo "Hello world"
> > ~$ vim -S main.vimrc
> > Hello world
> > ~$
> > #v-
>
> I'm not sure what you meant here. Did you mean the following?
>
> vim -c 'set t_ti= t_te=' -S main.vimrc

The email got messed up.

> But then I see many empty lines (more than a screen) printed before
> "Hello World" is printed.

Yes of course, because Vim draws a screen when starting. Try using the
dumb terminal as I have show. This seems to work.

regards,
Christian
--
Bürokommunikation? Schreibtischgelaber!

Re: How to echo to stdout?

John Little-4
On Sunday, June 2, 2013 11:29:04 PM UTC+12, Peng Yu wrote:
> That is not what I'm looking for. I need to somehow redirect that
> output that is not to stdout to stdout.
>
> For example, I want to see the output of "set filetype" on stdout.

How about:

$ cat main.vimrc
redir! > /tmp/main.out
echo "hello"