How to get graphical vim for SuSe 10.0 <SOLVED>

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to get graphical vim for SuSe 10.0 <SOLVED>

Steve Litt
Hi all,

It ended up being easy. Download the Vim 6.4.whatever as a .bz, untar it, go
to the distro/src directory, then:

./configure
make
make test
make install

Then go to /usr/bin and do the following:

mv vim vim-6.3.84
ln -s /usr/local/bin/vim vim

When doing make test, be very careful. It's a freaky experience, with the test
going into and out of vim. At some point you hit a place with a syntax error
with no end statement to end a while statement, or something like that, after
which it appears that you've gone into an infinite loop for about 5 minutes.
DON'T BAIL! Eventually it gets out of the loop, finishes, and reports no
errors.

SteveT
_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to get graphical vim for SuSe 10.0 <SOLVED>

Detlef Steuer
Hi Steve,

out of curiosity: didn´t just yast2 -i gvim  as root work?
May be you have to add one of the online installation sources,
but you want to do that anyway, because a lot of packages can´t be found
on the CDs which are needed for developement.

Detlef

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:19:59 -0500
Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It ended up being easy. Download the Vim 6.4.whatever as a .bz, untar it, go
> to the distro/src directory, then:
>
> ./configure
> make
> make test
> make install
>
> Then go to /usr/bin and do the following:
>
> mv vim vim-6.3.84
> ln -s /usr/local/bin/vim vim
>
> When doing make test, be very careful. It's a freaky experience, with the test
> going into and out of vim. At some point you hit a place with a syntax error
> with no end statement to end a while statement, or something like that, after
> which it appears that you've gone into an infinite loop for about 5 minutes.
> DON'T BAIL! Eventually it gets out of the loop, finishes, and reports no
> errors.
>
> SteveT
> _______________________________________________
> VimOutliner mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to get graphical vim for SuSe 10.0 <SOLVED>

Steve Litt
Hi Detlef,

Years ago I was a Linux guru, so much in fact that I was invited to write
several chapters in Redhat Linux 6 Unleashed and Redhat Linux 7 Unleashed.

Those days are gone :-)

Today I'm what the press would call a power user -- the computer's an
appliance to do my job, and I've just mastered what I need to know to get my
job done on Mandrake Linux.

So after the graphical Yast didn't show me a graphical vim, I immediately went
back to what I know: ./configure;make;make install.

As far as online installation sources, I'm on dialup, so if I grab something
online, I want to do it manually so I know the extent of the download (and
also so I understand the state of my computer).

So in answer to your question, your suggestion probably would have worked, and
if I have time I'll try to deinstall my compiled vim and use yast as you
suggest.

While we're on the subject, what's your opinion of SuSE? SuSE is one of the
two distros still in the running in my evaluation to be the distro I use for
the next year.

Thanks

SteveT


On Friday 13 January 2006 02:27 am, Detlef Steuer wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> out of curiosity: didn´t just yast2 -i gvim  as root work?
> May be you have to add one of the online installation sources,
> but you want to do that anyway, because a lot of packages can´t be found
> on the CDs which are needed for developement.
>
> Detlef
>
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:19:59 -0500
>
> Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It ended up being easy. Download the Vim 6.4.whatever as a .bz, untar it,
> > go to the distro/src directory, then:
> >
> > ./configure
> > make
> > make test
> > make install
> >
> > Then go to /usr/bin and do the following:
> >
> > mv vim vim-6.3.84
> > ln -s /usr/local/bin/vim vim
> >
> > When doing make test, be very careful. It's a freaky experience, with the
> > test going into and out of vim. At some point you hit a place with a
> > syntax error with no end statement to end a while statement, or something
> > like that, after which it appears that you've gone into an infinite loop
> > for about 5 minutes. DON'T BAIL! Eventually it gets out of the loop,
> > finishes, and reports no errors.
> >
> > SteveT
> > _______________________________________________
> > VimOutliner mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
>
> _______________________________________________
> VimOutliner mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner

--
Steve Litt
Founder and acting president: GoLUG
http://www.golug.org
_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to get graphical vim for SuSe 10.0 <SOLVED>

Stefan Schmiedl
Steve Litt (13.01. 13:56):

> Today I'm what the press would call a power user -- the computer's an
> appliance to do my job, and I've just mastered what I need to know to get my
> job done on Mandrake Linux.
>
> So after the graphical Yast didn't show me a graphical vim, I
> immediately went back to what I know: ./configure;make;make install.

The times, they are a-changing.

Learning your environment's administration really pays off.
I am on gentoo now, and in the beginning always was scared of updates,
because I never managed to find the newly installed versions of config
files in /etc. There is a script for just this task, called
"etc-update", which can even merge trivial changes.

And in times long gone, I always set links into rc?.d directories
manually, until I came upon gentoo's own "rc-update add|del service
runlevel".

Our "old-timer" behavior might in fact be non-optimal, read dangerous,
if we forget/don't know about dependencies. So maybe we should change.

> While we're on the subject, what's your opinion of SuSE? SuSE is one of the
> two distros still in the running in my evaluation to be the distro I use for
> the next year.

If you're on slow dialup, a "everything on a few dvds" SuSE-distro is
not the worst choice to make. In the old days they also had excellent
(German) documentation, which paid for the price of the package, if you
actually read it. I used to give a recommendation to the audience in my
linux introductions: "Buy a SuSE once, for the documentation. If you
know your way around, switch to Debian."

s.
--
Stefan Schmiedl
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
|Approximity GmbH               | EDV-Beratung Schmiedl                  |
|http://www.approximity.com     | Am Bräuweiher 4, 93499 Zandt, Germany  |
|mailto:[hidden email]  | Tel. (09944) 3068-98, Fax -97          |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner