How to get to the helppage of shiftwidth in options.txt?

123

How to get to the helppage of shiftwidth in options.txt?

Peng Yu
Hi,

When I ":help shiftwidth", I get to eval.txt. But I'd like to get to
options.txt. How to do so? Thanks.

Peng

Re: How to get to the helppage of shiftwidth in options.txt?

tooth pik
On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 04:45:46PM -0500, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,

> When I ":help shiftwidth", I get to eval.txt. But I'd like to get to
> options.txt. How to do so? Thanks.

    :help 'shiftwidth'

Re: How to get to the helppage of shiftwidth in options.txt?

Dmitri Vereshchagin
* Peng Yu <[hidden email]> [2015-03-29 16:45]:
> When I ":help shiftwidth", I get to eval.txt. But I'd like to get to
> options.txt. How to do so? Thanks.

Surround shiftwidth with single quotes.  Read ":help help-context".

--
Dmitri Vereshchagin

On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 5:09:58 PM UTC-5, toothpik wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 04:45:46PM -0500, Peng Yu wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > When I ":help shiftwidth", I get to eval.txt. But I'd like to get to
> > options.txt. How to do so? Thanks.
>
>     :help 'shiftwidth'

What is the difference between with the single quote and without the single quote? Where is this difference documented?

Re: How to get to the helppage of shiftwidth in options.txt?

Tim Chase
On 2015-03-29 15:26, Peng Yu wrote:
> > > When I ":help shiftwidth", I get to eval.txt. But I'd like to
> > > get to options.txt. How to do so? Thanks.
> >
> >     :help 'shiftwidth'
>
> What is the difference between with the single quote and without
> the single quote? Where is this difference documented?

By convention, Vim's settings are targeted in the help by putting
single-quotes around them.  If they're unique, you can find them in
the help without the quotes, as Vim does a best-guess matching for
substrings.  Thus if you do something like

  :help formatexpr

it will take you to the same place as

  :help 'formatexpr'

However, as you discovered, if you leave off the single-quotes and
some other target is found, it will take you there instead.  E.g.

  :help 'list'  " takes you to the help on the 'list' setting
  vs
  :help list    " takes you to the help on ":list"

So generally, if you want to find an option/setting, make sure to
include the single-quote.  The conventions are listed at

  :help help-context

which is visible right from the first page of just typing

  :help

You can also hit control+D to have Vim show you the potential matches
such as

  :help list<C-D>

which shows that there are Ex commands, settings, functions,
build-time options, variables, and data-types all containing the
search-term "list".

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 05:52:04PM -0500, Tim Chase wrote:

> > >     :help 'shiftwidth'
> >
> > What is the difference between with the single quote and without
> > the single quote? Where is this difference documented?

> By convention, Vim's settings are targeted in the help by putting
> single-quotes around them.  If they're unique, you can find them in
> the help without the quotes, as Vim does a best-guess matching for
> substrings.  Thus if you do something like

>  :help formatexpr

> it will take you to the same place as

>  :help 'formatexpr'

> However, as you discovered, if you leave off the single-quotes and
> some other target is found, it will take you there instead.  E.g.

>  :help 'list'  " takes you to the help on the 'list' setting
>  vs
>  :help list    " takes you to the help on ":list"

> So generally, if you want to find an option/setting, make sure to
> include the single-quote.  The conventions are listed at

>  :help help-context

> which is visible right from the first page of just typing

>  :help

> You can also hit control+D to have Vim show you the potential matches
> such as

>  :help list<C-D>

> which shows that there are Ex commands, settings, functions,
> build-time options, variables, and data-types all containing the
> search-term "list".

and, if you want to dive in and spend an afternoon reading up on various
things in the docs try using

    :helpgrep <whatever-you're-interested-in>

with

let mapleader = ','

nnoremap <Leader>hhh :call HelpgrepScrollers()<CR>

function! HelpgrepScrollers()
    silent! nmap <F6> :cnext<CR>
    silent! nmap <S-F6> :cprev<CR>
    echo 'helpgrep scrollers :cn and :cp mapped to F6 and S-F6'
endfunction

in your .vimrc you then hit ,hhh to map F6 and S-F6 to scroll through
the helpgrep results at your leisure

--
_|_ _  __|_|_ ._ o|
 |_(_)(_)|_| ||_)||<

Re: How to get to the helppage of shiftwidth in options.txt?

Tim Chase
[side rant]

On 2015-03-29 18:28, toothpik wrote:
> let mapleader = ','

I've never understood why people remap the exceptionally useful
functionality of "," to become the map-leader.  I use the native ","
and ";" all the time in conjunction with f/F/t/T.

  :help ;
  :help ,

If one isn't going to keep the single-key "\", at least choose
something that has more than one key providing the same
functionality, such as "+" & <enter>

Or, just map them straight out:

  :nnoremap <f8> :cn<cr>
  :nnoremap <f7> :cN<cr>

without bothering to wrap them in an extra mapping merely to create
the mappings.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Tim Chase <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> >     :help 'shiftwidth'
>>
>> What is the difference between with the single quote and without
>> the single quote? Where is this difference documented?
>
> By convention, Vim's settings are targeted in the help by putting
> single-quotes around them.  If they're unique, you can find them in
> the help without the quotes, as Vim does a best-guess matching for
> substrings.  Thus if you do something like
>
>   :help formatexpr
>
> it will take you to the same place as
>
>   :help 'formatexpr'
>
> However, as you discovered, if you leave off the single-quotes and
> some other target is found, it will take you there instead.  E.g.
>
>   :help 'list'  " takes you to the help on the 'list' setting
>   vs
>   :help list    " takes you to the help on ":list"
>
> So generally, if you want to find an option/setting, make sure to
> include the single-quote.  The conventions are listed at
>
>   :help help-context
>
> which is visible right from the first page of just typing
>
>   :help
>
> You can also hit control+D to have Vim show you the potential matches
> such as
>
>   :help list<C-D>

Is there a way to somehow print the potential matches in the command to stdout.

I am able to get vim print some arbitrary text. But I can not get the
above printed to the command line.

vim -T dumb -c echo\ \"Hello\ World\!\" -c q

On 2015-03-29 20:22, Peng Yu wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
> >   :help list<C-D>
>
> Is there a way to somehow print the potential matches in the
> command to stdout.
>
> I am able to get vim print some arbitrary text. But I can not get
> the above printed to the command line.
>
> vim -T dumb -c echo\ \"Hello\ World\!\" -c q

Not that I know of.  If I aspired to do something like that, I'd start
by using :helpgrep to find the matches of interest:

  :helpgrep \*[#-)!+-~]\+list[#-)!+-~]\+\*

and then access the quick-fix window with ":copen", extracting the
matching contents.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 07:08:53PM -0500, Tim Chase wrote:
> [side rant]

> On 2015-03-29 18:28, toothpik wrote:
> > let mapleader = ','

> I've never understood why people remap the exceptionally useful
> functionality of "," to become the map-leader.  I use the native ","
> and ";" all the time in conjunction with f/F/t/T.

>  :help ;
>  :help ,

I can tell you why I do, but not any of the others:  I don't use the
comma or the semi-colon -- I can see what's in the current line and
don't need to search it, let alone repeat that search -- not only do I
use comma as the mapleader, I remapped the semi-colon to the colon,
because I use the colon all the time to get to the ex command line and
with it mapped to the semi-colon I save all that energy I might have
expended pressing that big old shift key

> If one isn't going to keep the single-key "\", at least choose
> something that has more than one key providing the same
> functionality, such as "+" & <enter>

> Or, just map them straight out:

>  :nnoremap <f8> :cn<cr>
>  :nnoremap <f7> :cN<cr>

> without bothering to wrap them in an extra mapping merely to create
> the mappings.

I don't use them enough to permanently map them -- I have things I do
with my F-keys that I do much more frequently than :cn and :cp, and I
happen to like the little message that pops up when I run that function

--
_|_ _  __|_|_ ._ o|
 |_(_)(_)|_| ||_)||<

Re: How to get to the helppage of shiftwidth in options.txt?

Gary Johnson-4
On 2015-03-29, Tim Chase wrote:

> [side rant]
>
> On 2015-03-29 18:28, toothpik wrote:
> > let mapleader = ','
>
> I've never understood why people remap the exceptionally useful
> functionality of "," to become the map-leader.  I use the native ","
> and ";" all the time in conjunction with f/F/t/T.
>
>   :help ;
>   :help ,
>
> If one isn't going to keep the single-key "\", at least choose
> something that has more than one key providing the same
> functionality, such as "+" & <enter>
>
> Or, just map them straight out:
>
>   :nnoremap <f8> :cn<cr>
>   :nnoremap <f7> :cN<cr>
>
> without bothering to wrap them in an extra mapping merely to create
> the mappings.

Because I don't need the functionality of ',' very often and I do
need some sort of prefix/leader for mappings.  I can easily type ','
followed by any other key.  To type '\', I have to lift my right
hand off the home row and stretch my pinkie to the right.  Then
before I type a right-hand key, I have to put my right hand back on
the home row and strike that next key before timeoutlen expires.
That's too much effort and likelihood of error for a mapping I use
often.  As for using the function keys:  I have enough trouble
touch-typing the keys in the number row.  Touch-typing function keys
is right out.

For me, the functionality and usability I gain by using ',' as a map
leader greatly exceeds that lost by not having the bare
functionality of ','.

Regards,
Gary

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Tim Chase <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2015-03-29 20:22, Peng Yu wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
>> >   :help list<C-D>
>>
>> Is there a way to somehow print the potential matches in the
>> command to stdout.
>>
>> I am able to get vim print some arbitrary text. But I can not get
>> the above printed to the command line.
>>
>> vim -T dumb -c echo\ \"Hello\ World\!\" -c q
>
> Not that I know of.  If I aspired to do something like that, I'd start
> by using :helpgrep to find the matches of interest:
>
>   :helpgrep \*[#-)!+-~]\+list[#-)!+-~]\+\*
>
> and then access the quick-fix window with ":copen", extracting the
> matching contents.

In bash, there is `compgen`. So, it might make sense to add something
similar to vim as well?

On 2015-03-31, Peng Yu wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Tim Chase <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Is there a way to somehow print the potential matches in the
> >> command to stdout.
> >>
> >> I am able to get vim print some arbitrary text. But I can not get
> >> the above printed to the command line.
> >>
> >> vim -T dumb -c echo\ \"Hello\ World\!\" -c q
> >
> > Not that I know of.  If I aspired to do something like that, I'd start
> > by using :helpgrep to find the matches of interest:
> >
> >   :helpgrep \*[#-)!+-~]\+list[#-)!+-~]\+\*
> >
> > and then access the quick-fix window with ":copen", extracting the
> > matching contents.
>
> In bash, there is `compgen`. So, it might make sense to add something
> similar to vim as well?

Isn't that what Tim already explained above with

    :help list<C-D>

?  Take a look at

    :help 'wildmode'

for ways to customize the results.  You might try

    :set wildmode=longest,list

which is what I use.

Regards,
Gary

How to indicate multiple window lines that belong to a long line in a file

'Jürgen Krämer' via vim_use
Currently I use "set number" for this purpose. But it takes a lot of
window space. So I wonder whether there is a better way to do it, such
as the way used in Emacs window (showing a little line wrap symbol at
the end of a window line if it continues to the next window line), or
maybe show alternative background colors for different long lines? Any
ideas?

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 4:07 PM, Gary Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2015-03-31, Peng Yu wrote:

>> > Not that I know of.  If I aspired to do something like that, I'd start
>> > by using :helpgrep to find the matches of interest:
>> >
>> >   :helpgrep \*[#-)!+-~]\+list[#-)!+-~]\+\*
>> >
>> > and then access the quick-fix window with ":copen", extracting the
>> > matching contents.
>>
>> In bash, there is `compgen`. So, it might make sense to add something
>> similar to vim as well?
>
> Isn't that what Tim already explained above with

Check compgen in bash, then you will see what I mean.

>     :help list<C-D>
>
> ?  Take a look at
>
>     :help 'wildmode'
>
> for ways to customize the results.  You might try
>
>     :set wildmode=longest,list
>
> which is what I use.
>
> Regards,
> Gary

> ---

Peng

Re: How to get to the helppage of shiftwidth in options.txt?

Nicolas Dermine
hi,

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 9:02 AM, Gary Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2015-03-29, Tim Chase wrote:
>> [side rant]
>>
>> On 2015-03-29 18:28, toothpik wrote:
>> > let mapleader = ','
>>
>> I've never understood why people remap the exceptionally useful
>> functionality of "," to become the map-leader.  I use the native ","
>> and ";" all the time in conjunction with f/F/t/T.
>>
>>   :help ;
>>   :help ,
>>
>> If one isn't going to keep the single-key "\", at least choose
>> something that has more than one key providing the same
>> functionality, such as "+" & <enter>
>>
>> Or, just map them straight out:
>>
>>   :nnoremap <f8> :cn<cr>
>>   :nnoremap <f7> :cN<cr>
>>
>> without bothering to wrap them in an extra mapping merely to create
>> the mappings.
>
> Because I don't need the functionality of ',' very often and I do
> need some sort of prefix/leader for mappings.  I can easily type ','
> followed by any other key.  To type '\', I have to lift my right
> hand off the home row and stretch my pinkie to the right.  Then
> before I type a right-hand key, I have to put my right hand back on
> the home row and strike that next key before timeoutlen expires.
> That's too much effort and likelihood of error for a mapping I use
> often.  As for using the function keys:  I have enough trouble
> touch-typing the keys in the number row.  Touch-typing function keys
> is right out.
>
> For me, the functionality and usability I gain by using ',' as a map
> leader greatly exceeds that lost by not having the bare
> functionality of ','.

I also have ',' as my leader key, and I find I can still use it after f/t/F/T
There is just a lag between the moment I press ',' and the cursor
movement, unless I immediately type another command after hitting ','.
This made me realise that if that command started like a mapping of
mine it would not do what I expect :)

nico

> Regards,
> Gary

Re: How to get to the helppage of shiftwidth in options.txt?

Christian Brabandt
Am 2015-04-01 04:27, schrieb Peng Yu:
> Check compgen in bash, then you will see what I mean.

Please be more specific and say exactly what you want. Not everybody
wants to install bash to check a manual page.

Best,
Christian

Re: How to indicate multiple window lines that belong to a long line in a file

Paul Isambert
Le mercredi 01 avril 2015 à 04:21, 'Paul' via vim_use a écrit:
> Currently I use "set number" for this purpose. But it takes a lot of window
> space. So I wonder whether there is a better way to do it, such as the way
> used in Emacs window (showing a little line wrap symbol at the end of a
> window line if it continues to the next window line), or maybe show
> alternative background colors for different long lines? Any ideas?

I’m not sure I understand your request correctly, but perhaps the
showbreak option is what you’re looking for?

Best,
Paul

Am 2015-04-01 08:56, schrieb Paul Isambert:

> Le mercredi 01 avril 2015 à 04:21, 'Paul' via vim_use a écrit:
>> Currently I use "set number" for this purpose. But it takes a lot of
>> window
>> space. So I wonder whether there is a better way to do it, such as the
>> way
>> used in Emacs window (showing a little line wrap symbol at the end of
>> window line if it continues to the next window line), or maybe show
>> alternative background colors for different long lines? Any ideas?
>
> I’m not sure I understand your request correctly, but perhaps the
> showbreak option is what you’re looking for?

Also note, you can configure the width of the number column using
the 'numberwidth' option.

Best,
Christian

On 2015-03-31, Peng Yu wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 4:07 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > On 2015-03-31, Peng Yu wrote:

> >> In bash, there is `compgen`. So, it might make sense to add something
> >> similar to vim as well?
> >
> > Isn't that what Tim already explained above with
>
> Check compgen in bash, then you will see what I mean.

I am quite familiar with compgen, having written a number of
bash_completion scripts.  I still don't understand what you think
bash has that Vim doesn't, when it comes to command or argument
completion.

I thought you were just looking for completion of help topics.  If
you're looking for general context-dependent completion, see

    :help 20.3
    :help cmdline-completion
    :help :command-completion

I found the last by typing