How to learn vim

Paolo Bolzoni
Dear list,

I am interested in improving my vim knowledge, so I tried
seeking on the internet about tutorials. But in most of the
cases you only find useful cheat sheets, extremely basic
command (i.e., hjklg...) or over-complicated plugins that
once activated seems to start random actions while typing.

Now, I know I am probably missing the obvious. But can
anyone point me to tutorial to learn more than moving
around in the file? Or you learnt in some other way?

Your sincerely,
Paolo

Re: How to learn vim

Ethan Hereth

On Friday, January 24, 2014, Paolo Bolzoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear list,

I am interested in improving my vim knowledge, so I tried
seeking on the internet about tutorials. But in most of the
cases you only find useful cheat sheets, extremely basic
command (i.e., hjklg...) or over-complicated plugins that
once activated seems to start random actions while typing.

Now, I know I am probably missing the obvious. But can
anyone point me to tutorial to learn more than moving
around in the file? Or you learnt in some other way?

Your sincerely,
Paolo

Paolo,

Have you tried running vimtutor? Type :help vimtutor from within vim to read more about it. It's fairly basic, but I good place to start. Also, try www.openvim.com/tutorial.html for a clever visual tutorial. That's just one of the first things I found with a quick google search for "vim tutorial," there must be many more.

Cheers, and happy vimming

Re: How to learn vim

MarcWeber
1) vimtutor
2) :help

Some advanced ideas:
https://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-manager/blob/master/autoload/sample_vimrc_for_new_users.vim

http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/index.html
=> "how to get help about vim"

And of course there is the vim wiki:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki

Of course you'll get more replies and hints

Also join irc if cannot find a solution within 5min.

Marc Weber

Re: How to learn vim

Ben Klein
On Jan 24, 2014, at 7:04 AM, Paolo Bolzoni <[hidden email]> wrote:

Now, I know I am probably missing the obvious. But can
anyone point me to tutorial to learn more than moving
around in the file? Or you learnt in some other way?

I started with vimtutor (which has already been mentioned) and then found this (among other things) helpful: http://yannesposito.com/Scratch/en/blog/Learn-Vim-Progressively/.

Also, Daniel Miessler has a (I think more recent) lengthy tutorial on using Vim; it covers a good range of Vim ideas and is at http://www.danielmiessler.com/study/vim/.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: How to learn vim

Mohit Sharma

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 5:04 AM, Paolo Bolzoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear list,

I am interested in improving my vim knowledge, so I tried
seeking on the internet about tutorials. But in most of the
cases you only find useful cheat sheets, extremely basic
command (i.e., hjklg...) or over-complicated plugins that
once activated seems to start random actions while typing.

Now, I know I am probably missing the obvious. But can
anyone point me to tutorial to learn more than moving
around in the file? Or you learnt in some other way?

Once you're familiar with the basics which shouldn't take a long while. I've found  this place http://learnvimscriptthehardway.stevelosh.com/ to be super useful.

Your sincerely,
Paolo

Re: How to learn vim

Marcin Szamotulski
On 12:06 Fri 24 Jan     , Mohit Sharma wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 5:04 AM, Paolo Bolzoni <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear list,
> >
> > I am interested in improving my vim knowledge, so I tried
> > seeking on the internet about tutorials. But in most of the
> > cases you only find useful cheat sheets, extremely basic
> > command (i.e., hjklg...) or over-complicated plugins that
> > once activated seems to start random actions while typing.
> >
> > Now, I know I am probably missing the obvious. But can
> > anyone point me to tutorial to learn more than moving
> > around in the file? Or you learnt in some other way?
> >

> Once you're familiar with the basics which shouldn't take a long while.
> I've found  this place http://learnvimscriptthehardway.stevelosh.com/ to be
> super useful.
>

> > Your sincerely,
> > Paolo
> >
> > --
> > --
> >
> > ---
> > email to [hidden email].

> ---

As already mentioned there is :help, you should now that :help contains
user manual as well which was based on a book (:help frombook).  The
manual starts with :help usr_01 which is mentioned on :help.

There are also very nice video casts:
1) http://vimcast.org
2) http://derekwyatt.org/vim/tutorials/novice/#Welcome

Cheers,
Marcin

Re: How to learn vim

Benjamin Fritz
On Friday, January 24, 2014 7:04:42 AM UTC-6, Paolo Bolzoni wrote:

> Dear list,
>

> I am interested in improving my vim knowledge, so I tried
>
> seeking on the internet about tutorials. But in most of the
>
> cases you only find useful cheat sheets, extremely basic
>
> command (i.e., hjklg...) or over-complicated plugins that
>
> once activated seems to start random actions while typing.
>

> Now, I know I am probably missing the obvious. But can
>
> anyone point me to tutorial to learn more than moving
>
> around in the file? Or you learnt in some other way?

Some wiki resources to help:

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Getting_started
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_documentation