How to maximize help window automatically ?

How to maximize help window automatically ?

Lenin Lee
Hi there,

Why the following configuration doesn't work ?

au BufEnter help <C-W>_

How to maximize help window automatically when I open or enter it ?

Thanks.

Lenin

Re: How to maximize help window automatically ?

Gary Johnson-4
On 2010-09-10, Lenin Lee wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Why the following configuration doesn't work ?
>
> au BufEnter help <C-W>_
>
> How to maximize help window automatically when I open or enter it ?

The autocommand command is an ex command whereas the key sequence
<C-W>_ is a normal-mode command.  To make that work, you would have
to write it as

    au BufEnter help "exe normal \\<C-W>_"

A better solution, though, would be the following.

    au FileType help wincmd _

Regards,
Gary

Re: How to maximize help window automatically ?

Lenin Lee
Thanks, Gary, I got more than I expected from your answer.

On 2010-09-10, Lenin Lee wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Why the following configuration doesn't work ?
>
> au BufEnter help <C-W>_
>
> How to maximize help window automatically when I open or enter it ?

The autocommand command is an ex command whereas the key sequence
<C-W>_ is a normal-mode command.  To make that work, you would have
to write it as

   au BufEnter help "exe normal \\<C-W>_"

A better solution, though, would be the following.

   au FileType help wincmd _

Regards,
Gary

Re: How to maximize help window automatically ?

caruso_g
>     au FileType help wincmd _

Absolutely helpful! Thanks a lot.

Re: How to maximize help window automatically ?

Ben Fritz

On Sep 9, 11:20 pm, Gary Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > How to maximize help window automatically when I open or enter it ?
>
> The autocommand command is an ex command whereas the key sequence
> <C-W>_ is a normal-mode command.  To make that work, you would have
> to write it as
>
>     au BufEnter help "exe normal \\<C-W>_"
>
> A better solution, though, would be the following.
>
>     au FileType help wincmd _

Might I suggest one more?

Instead of :help {topic}, type :tab help {topic} for an automatically
maximized help window that doesn't interfere with your window layout.

Re: How to maximize help window automatically ?

Nikhilesh S
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 08:23:15PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
> Instead of :help {topic}, type :tab help {topic} for an automatically
> maximized help window that doesn't interfere with your window layout.

Or you can use ZoomWin:

Nikhilesh S
http://www.nikhilesh.info

Re: How to maximize help window automatically ?

Lenin Lee
Great, thank you all !