How to prevent cursor briefly jumping to top of file on 'edit'?

How to prevent cursor briefly jumping to top of file on 'edit'?

Andrew Stewart
Hello!

Here's my problem:

1. Open a file in vim which is larger than the window.
2. Go to the bottom of the file.
3. Type `:edit`
4a. Expected behaviour: nothing apparently changes
4b. Actual behaviour: cursor briefly jumps to line 1 then jumps back to bottom of file.

I get this problem on terminal vim ('mvim -v') but not gui MacVim.  I'm running Vim 7.4.258.

Is there a way to prevent the flicker caused by 4b?

Thanks in advance!

Yours,
Andy Stewart

Re: How to prevent cursor briefly jumping to top of file on 'edit'?

Christian Brabandt
Hi boss!

On Fr, 17 Okt 2014, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Here's my problem:
>
> 1. Open a file in vim which is larger than the window.
> 2. Go to the bottom of the file.
> 3. Type `:edit`
> 4a. Expected behaviour: nothing apparently changes
> 4b. Actual behaviour: cursor briefly jumps to line 1 then jumps back to bottom of file.
>
> I get this problem on terminal vim ('mvim -v') but not gui MacVim.  I'm running Vim 7.4.258.
>
> Is there a way to prevent the flicker caused by 4b?

I don't see this. Could this be caused by a plugin?

Can you reproduce the issue with vim -u NONE -N

Best,
Christian
--
Mein Kopf wackelt, aber ich verspreche euch, er fällt nicht runter.
                -- Audrey Hepburn

Re: How to prevent cursor briefly jumping to top of file on 'edit'?

Andrew Stewart
Hi Christian!

On 17 Oct 2014, at 09:44, Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't see this. Could this be caused by a plugin?
>
> Can you reproduce the issue with vim -u NONE -N

Aha: I cannot reproduce the issue with vim -u NONE -N.  I should have thought of trying that first, sorry!

I'll investigate my plugins and configuration...

Many thanks,

Andy