How to recall what bookmarks I defined?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to recall what bookmarks I defined?

Woody Wu
Hi,

I quite depend on bookmarks feature when I brows source code.  But I
always got following problems:

1. It's hard to recall what marks I defined -- local marks and global
marks.  The typical scenario is that: I want to jump back to a
function definition that I just marked, I know what this function is,
but don't remember its name and location, neither the mark name.  What
I can do is just try: 'A, 'B, 'C ... one by one.  I can use ':marks'
command to open the marks list, however it only show names of files in
which marks were defined.  Unless a mark is defined in my current
buffer, no context text will be displayed in the marks list.

2. Quite often I just created a mark with a name, say 'a',  but 'a' is
already a important mark I defined before.  Vim just silently
overwrite the old mark with prompting.  This alway create headache to
me.

Thanks in advance.


--
Life is the only flaw in an otherwise perfect nonexistence
    -- Schopenhauer

narke
public key at http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371 ([hidden email])

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to recall what bookmarks I defined?

Tom Link-3
> 1. It's hard to recall what marks I defined -- local marks and global
> marks.

Are you looking for the :marks command?

There are a few plugins that display marks as signs on the left-hand
side. One of them is (my own) quickfixsigns. But there are others on
vim.org that may better fit your needs. It seems that over on vim.org
there are at least two plugins called showmarks that achieve something
similar. I personally also find that plugins like wokmarks and (my
own :-) tmarks make it easier to deal with marks. YMMV and, again,
maybe other plugins suit your editing habits better.

HTH
Tom

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to recall what bookmarks I defined?

Woody Wu
On 28 December 2010 04:33, Tom Link <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> 1. It's hard to recall what marks I defined -- local marks and global
>> marks.
>
> Are you looking for the :marks command?
>
> There are a few plugins that display marks as signs on the left-hand
> side. One of them is (my own) quickfixsigns. But there are others on
> vim.org that may better fit your needs. It seems that over on vim.org
> there are at least two plugins called showmarks that achieve something
> similar. I personally also find that plugins like wokmarks and (my
> own :-) tmarks make it easier to deal with marks. YMMV and, again,
> maybe other plugins suit your editing habits better.
>
> HTH
> Tom
>

Thanks Tom!  I found quickfixsigns does not correct refresh its status
bar, showmarks does not work at all, and workmarks does not do global
marks.  So the only one left is your tmarks.  The 'TMarks' list better
information than the build-in 'marks' command.  Thanks for your work.
So the issue remained open to me is that how to prevent me from
accidently overwrite an previously defined mark.  If one of above
bookmark visualization tools works, it would be resolved.

Thanks.

-
narke


--
Life is the only flaw in an otherwise perfect nonexistence
    -- Schopenhauer

narke
public key at http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371 ([hidden email])

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to recall what bookmarks I defined?

Rick Dooling-2
I am no programming expert, I use Vim mainly for writing, but you
sound as if you are interested in something more semi-permanent than a
mere mark. Have you ever tried ctags?

http://ctags.sourceforge.net/

This could enable you to keep all the "marks" you want and also call
them by any name you please.

Just a suggestions.

RD

On Dec 28, 11:10 am, Steven Woody <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28 December 2010 04:33, Tom Link <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
> >> 1. It's hard to recall what marks I defined -- local marks and global
> >> marks.
>
> > Are you looking for the :marks command?
>
> > There are a few plugins that display marks as signs on the left-hand
> > side. One of them is (my own) quickfixsigns. But there are others on
> > vim.org that may better fit your needs. It seems that over on vim.org
> > there are at least two plugins called showmarks that achieve something
> > similar. I personally also find that plugins like wokmarks and (my
> > own :-) tmarks make it easier to deal with marks. YMMV and, again,
> > maybe other plugins suit your editing habits better.
>
> > HTH
> > Tom
>
> Thanks Tom!  I found quickfixsigns does not correct refresh its status
> bar, showmarks does not work at all, and workmarks does not do global
> marks.  So the only one left is your tmarks.  The 'TMarks' list better
> information than the build-in 'marks' command.  Thanks for your work.
> So the issue remained open to me is that how to prevent me from
> accidently overwrite an previously defined mark.  If one of above
> bookmark visualization tools works, it would be resolved.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -
> narke
>
> --
> Life is the only flaw in an otherwise perfect nonexistence
>     -- Schopenhauer
>
> narke
> public key athttp://subkeys.pgp.net:11371([hidden email])

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to recall what bookmarks I defined?

Tom Link-3
In reply to this post by Woody Wu
> Thanks Tom!  I found quickfixsigns does not correct refresh its status
> bar, showmarks does not work at all, and workmarks does not do global
> marks.

Could you please describe how it doesn't correctly refresh the signs?
I know that an earlier version had problems with global marks. I
uploaded the current version to vim.org.

Anyway, I too wondered if tags could be of help for you.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to recall what bookmarks I defined?

Woody Wu
On 29 December 2010 04:00, Tom Link <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Thanks Tom!  I found quickfixsigns does not correct refresh its status
>> bar, showmarks does not work at all, and workmarks does not do global
>> marks.
>
> Could you please describe how it doesn't correctly refresh the signs?
> I know that an earlier version had problems with global marks. I
> uploaded the current version to vim.org.
>
> Anyway, I too wondered if tags could be of help for you.
>


The version I tried when I was writing the email is 0.11.  In that
version, I can see the indication bar on the left.  It can list some
marked I defined before, but when I created some new marks with 'ma',
'mb', 'mX', etc,  I saw nothing changed on the bar.  Sometimes, when I
scroll the screen with PGDN or PGUP, one or two of these newly defined
marks got displayed on the bar.  Anyway the behavior is strange and I
don't know why.

Now I installed the lastest version 0.12, and it even worse and got an
error when I started vim:
  Error detected while processing function QuickfixsignsSelect:
  line 5:
  E121: Undefined variable: g:quickfixsigns_class_breakpoints
  E15: Invalid expression: g:quickfixsigns_class_{what}

Best Regards,
narke

--
Life is the only flaw in an otherwise perfect nonexistence
    -- Schopenhauer

narke
public key at http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371 ([hidden email])

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php