How to retrigger 'autocmd' ?

Woody Wu
Hi,

When I 'vimgrep' on a large file tree, I usually turn of 'autocmd' by
':noau vimgrep /xxx/ **/*.c'.   Then I got c file open in a buffer but
without the syntax highlighting (maybe also other good things). So I
think what I need to do is to retriggle those 'autocmd' that would
been usually executed if I don't do 'noau ...'.  Can anyone tell me
how to, if possible?

Thanks in advance.

    -- Schopenhauer

narke
public key at http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371 ([hidden email])

Re: How to retrigger 'autocmd' ?

Gregor Uhlenheuer
2011/6/28 narke <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> When I 'vimgrep' on a large file tree, I usually turn of 'autocmd' by
> ':noau vimgrep /xxx/ **/*.c'.   Then I got c file open in a buffer but
> without the syntax highlighting (maybe also other good things). So I
> think what I need to do is to retriggle those 'autocmd' that would
> been usually executed if I don't do 'noau ...'.  Can anyone tell me
> how to, if possible?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> Life is the only flaw in an otherwise perfect nonexistence
>     -- Schopenhauer
>
> narke
> public key at http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371 ([hidden email])

usually I just reload the file by entering :e without arguments.

Cheers,
Gregor

Re: How to retrigger 'autocmd' ?

Ben Schmidt
>> When I 'vimgrep' on a large file tree, I usually turn of 'autocmd' by
>> ':noau vimgrep /xxx/ **/*.c'.   Then I got c file open in a buffer but
>> without the syntax highlighting (maybe also other good things). So I
>> think what I need to do is to retriggle those 'autocmd' that would
>> been usually executed if I don't do 'noau ...'.  Can anyone tell me
>> how to, if possible?

:doau Filetype c

perhaps? Or

:doau BufRead

which will call :setfiletype and thereby retrigger the autocommands?

Ben.

Re: How to retrigger 'autocmd' ?

Tim Chase
On 06/28/2011 06:11 AM, Ben Schmidt wrote:

>>> think what I need to do is to retriggle those 'autocmd' that would
>>> been usually executed if I don't do 'noau ...'.  Can anyone tell me
>>> how to, if possible?
>
> :doau Filetype c
>
> perhaps? Or
>
> :doau BufRead
>
> which will call :setfiletype and thereby retrigger the autocommands?

I recommend Ben's answer over using ":e" because it shouldn't
lose various state (such as jump-lists, undo-history, marks,
manual folds, etc which can be lost in an ":e") and it can be
used on a modified buffer without losing the changes.

Re: How to retrigger 'autocmd' ?

Gregor Uhlenheuer
2011/6/28 Tim Chase <[hidden email]>:

>> :doau Filetype c
>>
>> perhaps? Or
>>
>> :doau BufRead
>>
>> which will call :setfiletype and thereby retrigger the autocommands?
>
> I recommend Ben's answer over using ":e" because it shouldn't lose various
> state (such as jump-lists, undo-history, marks, manual folds, etc which can
> be lost in an ":e") and it can be used on a modified buffer without losing
> the changes.
>
> -tim

Hi,
in case the buffer was already opened before there is no need to
retrigger the autocommands anyway.

Cheers,
Gregor

Re: How to retrigger 'autocmd' ?

Andy Wokula
Am 28.06.2011 13:11, schrieb Ben Schmidt:

>>> When I 'vimgrep' on a large file tree, I usually turn of 'autocmd' by
>>> ':noau vimgrep /xxx/ **/*.c'. Then I got c file open in a buffer but
>>> without the syntax highlighting (maybe also other good things). So I
>>> think what I need to do is to retriggle those 'autocmd' that would
>>> been usually executed if I don't do 'noau ...'. Can anyone tell me
>>> how to, if possible?
>
> :doau Filetype c
>
> perhaps? Or
>
> :doau BufRead
>
> which will call :setfiletype and thereby retrigger the autocommands?
>
> Ben.

Or  (which I think is the recommended command):

     :filetype detect

--
Andy

Re: How to retrigger 'autocmd' ?

Benjamin Fritz

On Jun 28, 4:31 am, narke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I 'vimgrep' on a large file tree, I usually turn of 'autocmd' by
> ':noau vimgrep /xxx/ **/*.c'.   Then I got c file open in a buffer but
> without the syntax highlighting (maybe also other good things). So I
> think what I need to do is to retriggle those 'autocmd' that would
> been usually executed if I don't do 'noau ...'.  Can anyone tell me
> how to, if possible?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I normally add the 'j' flag to my vimgrep to avoid an automatic jump
to the first match. Then I can use the quickfix window with :copen, or
just use :cnext/:cprev/:ccurrent to navigate. When these commands load
a new file, it triggers all the proper autocmds.

Re: How to retrigger 'autocmd' ?

Woody Wu
On 29 June 2011 11:08, Ben Fritz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 28, 4:31 am, narke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I 'vimgrep' on a large file tree, I usually turn of 'autocmd' by
>> ':noau vimgrep /xxx/ **/*.c'.   Then I got c file open in a buffer but
>> without the syntax highlighting (maybe also other good things). So I
>> think what I need to do is to retriggle those 'autocmd' that would
>> been usually executed if I don't do 'noau ...'.  Can anyone tell me
>> how to, if possible?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> I normally add the 'j' flag to my vimgrep to avoid an automatic jump
> to the first match. Then I can use the quickfix window with :copen, or
> just use :cnext/:cprev/:ccurrent to navigate. When these commands load
> a new file, it triggers all the proper autocmds.

Thanks for all your inputs.  At the end, I so much like Ben's
solution: using the 'j' flag of vimgrep.

Cheers!
narke