How to scroll back in Vim's built-in terminal?

How to scroll back in Vim's built-in terminal?

Redesorr
Hello,
I am using Vim's built-in ":terminal", it works well.

However, I found it is impossible to scroll back in this terminal.

I have tried several terminal emulators and Gvim. But none of them can let me scroll back in terminal opened by ":terminal" command.

I tried SHIFT+PgUp and Ctrl+Shift+UP, both failed. And I don't find any information about scroll back in ":terminal" in Vim's document.

Is there any way to scroll text in Vim's ":terminal"?

Re: How to scroll back in Vim's built-in terminal?

Tony Mechelynck
On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Redesorr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am using Vim's built-in ":terminal", it works well.
>
> However, I found it is impossible to scroll back in this terminal.
>
> I have tried several terminal emulators and Gvim. But none of them can let me scroll back in terminal opened by ":terminal" command.
>
> I tried SHIFT+PgUp and Ctrl+Shift+UP, both failed. And I don't find any information about scroll back in ":terminal" in Vim's document.
>
> Is there any way to scroll text in Vim's ":terminal"?

I haven't much experimented with Vim's new +terminal feature, but I
remember how it was before, with the !something, :shell, etc.
commands.

In that case, Console Vim let you interact with the terminal it was
started from, with just something like "Hit Enter to continue" at the
end, but what you got (and IIUC still get) in gvim is a "dumb"
terminal, which emulates the kind of paper-hammer-ribbon
teletypewriter which could neither backspace nor move up the paper but
only move forward and down. So unless gvim's new +terminal feature is
radically different from what it used to run shells in before
+terminal came around, the answer to your question could quite well be
"In gvim there isn't, and in Console Vim you get what you started Vim
from".

Re: How to scroll back in Vim's built-in terminal?

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov

> On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Redesorr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I am using Vim's built-in ":terminal", it works well.
>>
>> However, I found it is impossible to scroll back in this terminal.
>>
>> I have tried several terminal emulators and Gvim. But none of them can let me scroll back in terminal opened by ":terminal" command.
>>
>> I tried SHIFT+PgUp and Ctrl+Shift+UP, both failed. And I don't find any information about scroll back in ":terminal" in Vim's document.
>>
>> Is there any way to scroll text in Vim's ":terminal"?
>>

> I haven't much experimented with Vim's new +terminal feature, but I
> remember how it was before, with the !something, :shell, etc.
> commands.
>
> In that case, Console Vim let you interact with the terminal it was
> started from, with just something like "Hit Enter to continue" at the
> end, but what you got (and IIUC still get) in gvim is a "dumb"
> terminal, which emulates the kind of paper-hammer-ribbon
> teletypewriter which could neither backspace nor move up the paper but
> only move forward and down. So unless gvim's new +terminal feature is
> radically different from what it used to run shells in before
> +terminal came around, the answer to your question could quite well be
> "In gvim there isn't, and in Console Vim you get what you started Vim
> from".

+terminal uses libvterm which is xterm-compliant to a great extent, it
has nothing to do with what was there previously. To scroll back one
just needs to exit to normal mode and scroll there using regular
scrolling commands, e.g. via `<C-\><C-n>`.

Redesorr wrote:

> I am using Vim's built-in ":terminal", it works well.
>
> However, I found it is impossible to scroll back in this terminal.
>
> I have tried several terminal emulators and Gvim. But none of them can let me scroll back in terminal opened by ":terminal" command.
>
> I tried SHIFT+PgUp and Ctrl+Shift+UP, both failed. And I don't find any information about scroll back in ":terminal" in Vim's document.
>
> Is there any way to scroll text in Vim's ":terminal"?

First go to Terminal-Normal mode with CTRL-W N.  Now the terminal window
behaves (mostly) like a normal buffer, you can scroll back with CTRL-B
or jump to the start with "gg".  As soon as you use an insert command
such as "i" or "a" it will go back to Terminal-Job mode.

243. You unsuccessfully try to download a pizza from www.dominos.com.

On Monday, October 2, 2017 at 2:57:18 AM UTC+8, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Redesorr wrote:
>
> > I am using Vim's built-in ":terminal", it works well.
> >
> > However, I found it is impossible to scroll back in this terminal.
> >
> > I have tried several terminal emulators and Gvim. But none of them can let me scroll back in terminal opened by ":terminal" command.
> >
> > I tried SHIFT+PgUp and Ctrl+Shift+UP, both failed. And I don't find any information about scroll back in ":terminal" in Vim's document.
> >
> > Is there any way to scroll text in Vim's ":terminal"?
>
> First go to Terminal-Normal mode with CTRL-W N.  Now the terminal window
> behaves (mostly) like a normal buffer, you can scroll back with CTRL-B
> or jump to the start with "gg".  As soon as you use an insert command
> such as "i" or "a" it will go back to Terminal-Job mode.

> 243. You unsuccessfully try to download a pizza from www.dominos.com.
>
>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
> ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
> \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
>  \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///
Thanks very much.
I forgot mode switch.

Re: How to scroll back in Vim's built-in terminal?

Cesar Romani-2
On 01/10/2017 01:57 p.m., Bram Moolenaar wrote:

 > Redesorr wrote:
 >
 >> I am using Vim's built-in ":terminal", it works well.
 >>
 >> However, I found it is impossible to scroll back in this terminal.
 >>
 >> I have tried several terminal emulators and Gvim. But none of them
 >> can let me scroll back in terminal opened by ":terminal" command.
 >>
 >> I tried SHIFT+PgUp and Ctrl+Shift+UP, both failed. And I don't find
 >> any information about scroll back in ":terminal" in Vim's document.
 >>
 >> Is there any way to scroll text in Vim's ":terminal"?
 >
 > First go to Terminal-Normal mode with CTRL-W N.  Now the terminal
 > window behaves (mostly) like a normal buffer, you can scroll back with
 > CTRL-B or jump to the start with "gg".  As soon as you use an insert
 > command such as "i" or "a" it will go back to Terminal-Job mode.

But CTRL-W N opens a new window! Only CTRL-\ CTRL-N goes to
Terminal-Normal mode. I'm using gvim on Windows 7.

--
Cesar

Re: How to scroll back in Vim's built-in terminal?

Bram Moolenaar

Cesar Romani wrote:

> On 01/10/2017 01:57 p.m., Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>  >
>  > Redesorr wrote:
>  >
>  >> I am using Vim's built-in ":terminal", it works well.
>  >>
>  >> However, I found it is impossible to scroll back in this terminal.
>  >>
>  >> I have tried several terminal emulators and Gvim. But none of them
>  >> can let me scroll back in terminal opened by ":terminal" command.
>  >>
>  >> I tried SHIFT+PgUp and Ctrl+Shift+UP, both failed. And I don't find
>  >> any information about scroll back in ":terminal" in Vim's document.
>  >>
>  >> Is there any way to scroll text in Vim's ":terminal"?
>  >
>  > First go to Terminal-Normal mode with CTRL-W N.  Now the terminal
>  > window behaves (mostly) like a normal buffer, you can scroll back with
>  > CTRL-B or jump to the start with "gg".  As soon as you use an insert
>  > command such as "i" or "a" it will go back to Terminal-Job mode.
>  >
>
> Bmut CTRL-W N opens a new window! Only CTRL-\ CTRL-N goes to
> Terminal-Normal mode. I'm using gvim on Windows 7.

It works fine for me.  Maybe you typed "n" instead of "N"?

246. You use up your free 1 Gbyte in two days.