How to set EDITOR

jasonpickensnz
How do I set the EDITOR variable so that MacVim will launch within my terminal and not a separate GUI?

I tried:
> export EDITOR='mvim -v'
But that doesn't work.

Running it directly does work:
> mvim -v

Normal vim does what I expect:
> export EDITOR='vim'

In case it makes any difference, EDITOR is being used when I execute:
> direnv edit .

Cheers

Re: How to set EDITOR

Bailey Stoner
Hi Jason,

I don't know if it helps, but exporting EDITOR only works in the shell that you run it from. I'm guessing you ran it in a different shell. If not, then I think we will need more deets on exactly what you're doing :)

You could also try ` EDITOR=mvim direnv edit .`, but I'm guessing having it inline isn't ideal for your use-case. Hope that helps :)

Best,
  Bailey

14. Mar 2018 20:04 by [hidden email]:

How do I set the EDITOR variable so that MacVim will launch within my terminal and not a separate GUI?

I tried:
export EDITOR='mvim -v'
But that doesn't work.

Running it directly does work:
mvim -v

Normal vim does what I expect:
export EDITOR='vim'

In case it makes any difference, EDITOR is being used when I execute:
direnv edit .

Cheers

Re: How to set EDITOR

Andrew Stewart

> How do I set the EDITOR variable so that MacVim will launch within my terminal and not a separate GUI?

This works for me:

export EDITOR='/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim'

Yours,
Andrew Stewart