How to set the language of ui in gvim

Zhe Lee
According to this link I already add the language setting code into my vimrc file.
http://superuser.com/a/921446/609799

"Set The Language Of The Vim"
set langmenu=en_US
let $LANG = 'en_US'
source $VIMRUNTIME/delmenu.vim
source $VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim

But the language on the ui is still CN how to change that ?

1213220017.bmp (136K) Download Attachment
1213220035.bmp (1M) Download Attachment

Re: How to set the language of ui in gvim

Edward L. Fox

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 6:02 AM 李哲 <[hidden email]> wrote:
According to this link I already add the language setting code into my vimrc file.
http://superuser.com/a/921446/609799

"Set The Language Of The Vim"
set langmenu=en_US
let $LANG = 'en_US'
source $VIMRUNTIME/delmenu.vim
source $VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim

But the language on the ui is still CN how to change that ?

What you need is a single line of code in your vimrc:

language en_US

By the way, the "source delmenu.vim" and "source menu.vim" trick in vimrc was a work-around to a Vim bug which I believe to be fixed around 10 years ago. I'm quite astonished that people still keep doing that even till today.

Re: How to set the language of ui in gvim

Christian Brabandt
Hi 李哲!

On Di, 13 Dez 2016, 李哲 wrote:

> According to this link I already add the language setting code into my vimrc file.
> http://superuser.com/a/921446/609799
>
> "Set The Language Of The Vim"
> set langmenu=en_US
> let $LANG = 'en_US'
> source $VIMRUNTIME/delmenu.vim
> source $VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim
>

> But the language on the ui is still CN how to change that ?

I am afraid, this might be currently broken:
https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/1082

Best,
Christian
--
Die Liebe besteht zu drei Viertel aus Neugier.
                -- Giacomo Girolamo Casanova

Re: Re: How to set the language of ui in gvim

skywind3000@163.com
Hi 李哲!

1. Delete your vim/lang folder

or

2. Install gvim with "native language ????" disabled.

Date: 2016-12-14 02:45
Subject: Re: How to set the language of ui in gvim
Hi 李哲!

On Di, 13 Dez 2016, 李哲 wrote:

> According to this link I already add the language setting code into my vimrc file.
> http://superuser.com/a/921446/609799
>
> "Set The Language Of The Vim"
> set langmenu=en_US
> let $LANG = 'en_US'
> source $VIMRUNTIME/delmenu.vim
> source $VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim
>

> But the language on the ui is still CN how to change that ?

I am afraid, this might be currently broken:
https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/1082

Best,
Christian
--
Die Liebe besteht zu drei Viertel aus Neugier.
-- Giacomo Girolamo Casanova

Re: Re: How to set the language of ui in gvim

Tony Mechelynck
It is not always possible or desirable to disable +multi_lang.

Which languages are recognized (and acceptable as argument to the
:language command and its subcommands) depends on your OS and on hos
it is installed.
    On Windows, ":language messages en" usually works, ":language
messages C" never does, ":language messages en_US" usually doesn't, "
:language messages English_United States" may or may not work, and I
don't know whether the space in the middle of United States needs a
backslash escape. Without the quotes in each case.
    On Unix and similar, the command "locale -a |less", given without
the quotes at a shell prompt, will tell you all recognized language
names

In my experience, the ":language messages LANGUAGENAME" command is one
of the few that should be given before sourcing the vimrc_example.vim
-- the following is how my vimrc begins:

" force English menus and messages regardless of which locale is set in the OS
if has("unix") " including Mac OS X (but not the obsolete Mac OS 9) IIUC
    language messages C
else " Windows
    language messages en
endif
runtime vimrc_example.vim

etc.

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 2:12:37 AM UTC+8, Lifu Tang wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 6:02 AM 李哲 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> According to this link I already add the language setting code into my vimrc file.
>
> http://superuser.com/a/921446/609799
>

> "Set The Language Of The Vim"
>
> set langmenu=en_US
>
> let $LANG = 'en_US'
>
> source $VIMRUNTIME/delmenu.vim
>
> source $VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim
>

> But the language on the ui is still CN how to change that ?
>

> What you need is a single line of code in your vimrc:
>

> language en_US
>

> By the way, the "source delmenu.vim" and "source menu.vim" trick in vimrc was a work-around to a Vim bug which I believe to be fixed around 10 years ago. I'm quite astonished that people still keep doing that even till today.

> ---

Hi, tnx a lot for your reply I reinstall the Vim and add the `language en_US` into the vimrc file. But I get the error.
I Google it and change the line to `language messages en_US`, there is no error message pop out. But the UI language still be CN.

![1215114158.bmp](http://7xpvdr.com1.z0.glb.clouddn.com/1215114158.bmp)

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 12:54:58 PM UTC+8, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> It is not always possible or desirable to disable +multi_lang.
>
> Which languages are recognized (and acceptable as argument to the
> :language command and its subcommands) depends on your OS and on hos
> it is installed.
>     On Windows, ":language messages en" usually works, ":language
> messages C" never does, ":language messages en_US" usually doesn't, "
> :language messages English_United States" may or may not work, and I
> don't know whether the space in the middle of United States needs a
> backslash escape. Without the quotes in each case.
>     On Unix and similar, the command "locale -a |less", given without
> the quotes at a shell prompt, will tell you all recognized language
> names
>
> In my experience, the ":language messages LANGUAGENAME" command is one
> of the few that should be given before sourcing the vimrc_example.vim
> -- the following is how my vimrc begins:
>
> " force English menus and messages regardless of which locale is set in the OS
> if has("unix") " including Mac OS X (but not the obsolete Mac OS 9) IIUC
>     language messages C
> else " Windows
>     language messages en
> endif
> runtime vimrc_example.vim
>
> etc.
tnx a lot for your reply . I have already tried the command in my vimrc file. But it doesn't work. My os is windows and the native lan is CN.

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 10:02:16 PM UTC+8, Zhe Lee wrote:

> According to this link I already add the language setting code into my vimrc file.
> http://superuser.com/a/921446/609799
>
> "Set The Language Of The Vim"
> set langmenu=en_US
> let $LANG = 'en_US'
> source $VIMRUNTIME/delmenu.vim
> source $VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim
>

> But the language on the ui is still CN how to change that ?
I use Vim8 and my os is windows

According to the post here.
https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/1082 which is provided by Christian Brabandt.

Seems the delete the lang folder is the only way that work for me.

Again really appreciate everyone who give me a suggestion every one, I have tried.
TNX : )

Re: How to set the language of ui in gvim

Dominique Pellé
Zhe Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 10:02:16 PM UTC+8, Zhe Lee wrote:
>> According to this link I already add the language setting code into my vimrc file.
>> http://superuser.com/a/921446/609799
>>
>> "Set The Language Of The Vim"
>> set langmenu=en_US
>> let $LANG = 'en_US'
>> source $VIMRUNTIME/delmenu.vim
>> source $VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim
>>

>> But the language on the ui is still CN how to change that ?
>
> I use Vim8 and my os is windows
>
> According to the post here.
> https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/1082 which is provided by Christian Brabandt.
>
> Seems the delete the lang folder is the only way that work for me.
>
> Again really appreciate everyone who give me a suggestion every one, I have tried.
> TNX : )

As was already said, valid languages depend
on the platform.

You can try completion to find valid languages:

:language CTRL-D

It works at least on Linux, but I'm not sure whether it's
implemented on Windows.

Regards
Dominique

Re: How to set the language of ui in gvim

Tony Mechelynck
On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:08 PM, Dominique Pellé
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Zhe Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 10:02:16 PM UTC+8, Zhe Lee wrote:
>>> According to this link I already add the language setting code into my vimrc file.
>>> http://superuser.com/a/921446/609799
>>>
>>> "Set The Language Of The Vim"
>>> set langmenu=en_US
>>> let $LANG = 'en_US'
>>> source $VIMRUNTIME/delmenu.vim
>>> source $VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim
>>>

>>> But the language on the ui is still CN how to change that ?
>>
>> I use Vim8 and my os is windows
>>
>> According to the post here.
>> https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/1082 which is provided by Christian Brabandt.
>>
>> Seems the delete the lang folder is the only way that work for me.
>>
>> Again really appreciate everyone who give me a suggestion every one, I have tried.
>> TNX : )
>

> As was already said, valid languages depend
> on the platform.
>
> You can try completion to find valid languages:
>
> :language CTRL-D
>
> It works at least on Linux, but I'm not sure whether it's
> implemented on Windows.
>
> Regards
> Dominique

On Windows, AFAIK ":language messages en" (without _US) works. Maybe
also ":language messages English_United States" or ":language messages
English_United\ States", I don't know which. OTOH, the experiments
mentioned above seem to indicate that ":language messages en_US" is
not recognized on Windows.