Quantcast

How to start Vi in command line in Windows XP?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

How to start Vi in command line in Windows XP?

Xiaoshen Li-2
Dear All,

I have installed gVim at my Windows XP computer at C:\Program Files\Vim.
I am wondering how I can start vi from cmd window. In another words, how
to start vim as command line.

Right now, if I just type vi in command, it is not recognized. May be I
should set Path. But I don't know what to set.

Thank you very much.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to start Vi in command line in Windows XP?

Xiaoshen Li-2
Thank you very much. I just add to PATH the following: C:\Program
Files\Vim\vim64. Then in cmd window, no matter which directory I am in,
typing "vim.exe" starts vi.

One more question: I have to type "vim.exe" to start vim. Is there some
way to set so that I only need to type "vi"?

Thank you again.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to start Vi in command line in Windows XP?

Russell Bateman
In reply to this post by Xiaoshen Li-2
Use the System Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables (start at the
control panel) to add Vim's executable directory to PATH. Don't change
the system ones, but your own in the top part of the environment
variables window. Also, you can add a new variable VIM for the
executable and/or HOME that will guide Vim as to where to find your
_vimrc file. (I'm recounting this from memory, but I'm pretty sure I'm
right. I have the following "user" variables:

PATH=C:\Documents and Settings\russellb;C:\Program Files\Vim\vim64
VIM=C:\Program Files\Vim\vim64
HOME=C:\Documents and Settings\russellb

My _vimrc file is where HOME points. Now, what I've done is overkill,
you can probably just add the PATH and get on with life, but I've
doctored my environment several times for little reason leaving me
confused as to how much I needed to do.

Russ

Xiaoshen Li wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have installed gVim at my Windows XP computer at C:\Program
> Files\Vim. I am wondering how I can start vi from cmd window. In
> another words, how to start vim as command line.
>
> Right now, if I just type vi in command, it is not recognized. May be
> I should set Path. But I don't know what to set.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to start Vi in command line in Windows XP?

James Vega-3
In reply to this post by Xiaoshen Li-2
On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 12:28:18PM +0000, Xiaoshen Li wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have installed gVim at my Windows XP computer at C:\Program Files\Vim.
> I am wondering how I can start vi from cmd window. In another words, how
> to start vim as command line.
>
> Right now, if I just type vi in command, it is not recognized. May be I
> should set Path. But I don't know what to set.

Note that you're using vim, not vi.  Try type vim and it will probably
work.  If not, check your path setting as mentioned in the other reply.

James
--
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <[hidden email]>

signature.asc (206 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to start Vi in command line in Windows XP?

Gerald Lai-2
In reply to this post by Xiaoshen Li-2
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Xiaoshen Li wrote:

> Thank you very much. I just add to PATH the following: C:\Program
> Files\Vim\vim64. Then in cmd window, no matter which directory I am in,
> typing "vim.exe" starts vi.
>
> One more question: I have to type "vim.exe" to start vim. Is there some way
> to set so that I only need to type "vi"?
>
> Thank you again.

Here's are (shuddering) suggestions :) Either one should do it.

1st suggestion
--------------

In order to perform an alias in DOS (sorry, I mean CMD), at the prompt,
type:

   > doskey vi=vim $*

You can place the line above somewhere in My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced ->
Environment, I think. I would say C:\autoexec.bat, but I'm getting way
ahead of myself.

2nd suggestion
--------------

Create a file "C:\Program Files\Vim\vim64\vi.bat" that contains these
2 lines:

   @echo off
   vim %*

That should execute Vim anytime you do "vi".

Hope this helps.
--
Gerald
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to start Vi in command line in Windows XP?

Xiaoshen Li-2
Thank you very much. I did the following and it worked:

Create a file "C:\Program Files\Vim\vim64\vi.bat" that contains these
2 lines:

  @echo off
  vim %*

One last question: when I work in Linux computer, I can use "vimdiff
one.txt two.txt" to compare the two files. In Windows, is there
something similar available with vim? Thank you.

Gerald Lai wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Xiaoshen Li wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much. I just add to PATH the following: C:\Program
>> Files\Vim\vim64. Then in cmd window, no matter which directory I am
>> in, typing "vim.exe" starts vi.
>>
>> One more question: I have to type "vim.exe" to start vim. Is there
>> some way to set so that I only need to type "vi"?
>>
>> Thank you again.
>
>
> Here's are (shuddering) suggestions :) Either one should do it.
>
> 1st suggestion
> --------------
>
> In order to perform an alias in DOS (sorry, I mean CMD), at the prompt,
> type:
>
>   > doskey vi=vim $*
>
> You can place the line above somewhere in My Computer -> Properties ->
> Advanced ->
> Environment, I think. I would say C:\autoexec.bat, but I'm getting way
> ahead of myself.
>
> 2nd suggestion
> --------------
>
> Create a file "C:\Program Files\Vim\vim64\vi.bat" that contains these
> 2 lines:
>
>   @echo off
>   vim %*
>
> That should execute Vim anytime you do "vi".
>
> Hope this helps.
> --
> Gerald
>

--
Xiaoshen Li, PhD
Research Assistant Professor
The Krasnow Institute for Advanced Study
George Mason University
tel: (703)993-4407 (O)


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to start Vi in command line in Windows XP?

Tim Chase-2
In reply to this post by Gerald Lai-2
>> Thank you very much. I just add to PATH the following:
>> C:\Program Files\Vim\vim64. Then in cmd window, no
>> matter which directory I am in, typing "vim.exe" starts
>> vi.
>>
>> One more question: I have to type "vim.exe" to start
>> vim. Is there some way to set so that I only need to
>> type "vi"?

In addition to Gerald's good ideas, you can take the lazy
route as I've been known to do:

c:\> pushd "C:\Program Files\Vim\vim64"
c:\Program Files\Vim\vim64> copy vim.exe vi.exe

:)


It falls down when you try and upgrade, but I also have a
bit of a reputation on the list for running [ehem] older
versions of Vim.  Folks will be glad to know I'm [finally]
no longer running anything less than 6.3 at the moment
(well, I might have 6.2 still on an older OpenBSD box, but
it's sitting in a closet).

-tim




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to start Vi in command line in Windows XP?

Tim Chase-2
In reply to this post by Xiaoshen Li-2
> Create a file "C:\Program Files\Vim\vim64\vi.bat" that contains these
> 2 lines:
>
>  @echo off
>  vim %*
>
> One last question: when I work in Linux computer, I can use "vimdiff
> one.txt two.txt" to compare the two files. In Windows, is there
> something similar available with vim? Thank you.

If you don't already have vimdiff.exe in the same folder,
you can work around it.  However, IIRC, the vim install
comes with vimdiff.

If not, however, you can easily either run

        vim -d file1.txt file2.txt

or you can create a similar batch file as above with, called
vimdiff.bat:

@echo off
vim -d %*


-tim




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to start Vi in command line in Windows XP?

Guopeng Wen
In reply to this post by Xiaoshen Li-2
On 3/30/06, Xiaoshen Li <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have installed gVim at my Windows XP computer at C:\Program Files\Vim.
> I am wondering how I can start vi from cmd window. In another words, how
> to start vim as command line.
>
> Right now, if I just type vi in command, it is not recognized. May be I
> should set Path. But I don't know what to set.
>
> Thank you very much.

If you perform a full installation of VIM on windows, the installer will
create gvim.bat and vim.bat in system directory.  In that way,  you
need not include VIM install directory in your path.  Check if that
helps.

Regards!

--

Guopeng
Loading...