How to subscribe to vim-dev mailing list?

How to subscribe to vim-dev mailing list?

anhnmncb-2

I have tried sent mails to vim_dev{-,_,+}[hidden email] via
opera's mail client but failed always, must I have a gmail account to
subscribe it?

Re: How to subscribe to vim-dev mailing list?

scott-268

On Monday 05 January 2009 5:31 pm, anhnmncb wrote:

> I have tried sent mails to vim_dev{-,_,+}[hidden email] via
> opera's mail client but failed always, must I have a gmail account to
> subscribe it?

i don't believe it's necessary to have a google account to
subscribe to vim-dev

as per the mail-lists page:

    http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

what i would recommend is sending an email to

    [hidden email]

hth,

sc

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 07:49:46 +0800, _sc_ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [hidden email]

I also tried it, but got no any response :(

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 07:55:32 +0800, anhnmncb wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 07:49:46 +0800, _sc_  wrote:

Sorry for having added your email addr in the reference head,
I don't know how to configure it in opera's mail client :(

On Monday 05 January 2009 6:02 pm, anhnmncb wrote:

> >> [hidden email]
> >
> > I also tried it, but got no any response :(

it may take some time to percolate through -- did you try
waiting a day or two?

sc

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 08:10:13 +0800, _sc_ wrote:

>> > I also tried it, but got no any response :(
>
> it may take some time to percolate through -- did you try
> waiting a day or two?

I sent it 10 hours ago, ok, I will wait for two days.

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 08:16:00 +0800, anhnmncb wrote:

>> it may take some time to percolate through -- did you try
>> waiting a day or two?

Finally I success, thank you!

> I sent it 10 hours ago, ok, I will wait for two days.
>

>> sc

RE: How to subscribe to vim-dev mailing list?

JohnBeckett

anhnmncb wrote:
> Sorry for having added your email addr in the reference head,
> I don't know how to configure it in opera's mail client :(

Thanks for remembering! Why not just manually delete the email address?
Obviously that's not terriby reliable, and a more high-tech solution
would have more appeal. However, it might not be a bad idea to have a
look over your message before sending.

John

anhnmncb wrote:
> How to subscribe to vim-dev mailing list?

I just confirmed that the system is working. From
http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/web/vim-information
we get a hint to visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
which gives an address to use to subscribe.

I sent a message to that address:
    To: [hidden email]
    From: [an address that is NOT gmail]
    Subject: empty
    Message: empty

Two minutes later, I received a reply:

Message included:
  To join this group, either reply to this email or go to
  the following confirmation URL:
  http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/sub?subconfirm=...

I replied to the message. Two minutes later, I confirmed with the Google
Groups "management tasks" that the user was newly subscribed (only a
manager can do that).

It looks like there is a bug (which we have seen before), because
one minute later, I received another email:
  We recently received a request from you to subscribe to the
  group vim_dev. We know you are excited about this group, but
  it looks like you are already subscribed to it.

In vim_dev, the Google Groups management tools show no sign of a user
named anhnmncb. My guess is that some over-zealous spam filtering is
either rejecting your mail, or is blocking the reply (I don't think GG
gives an indication of pending members; only actual members are shown).

John

Re: How to subscribe to vim-dev mailing list?

anhnmncb-2

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:19:48 +0800, John Beckett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> anhnmncb wrote:
>> How to subscribe to vim-dev mailing list?
>
> I just confirmed that the system is working. From
> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/web/vim-information
> we get a hint to visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
> which gives an address to use to subscribe.
>
> I sent a message to that address:
>     To: [hidden email]
>     From: [an address that is NOT gmail]
>     Subject: empty
>     Message: empty
>
> Two minutes later, I received a reply:
>
> Message included:
>   To join this group, either reply to this email or go to
>   the following confirmation URL:
>   http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/sub?subconfirm=...
>
> I replied to the message. Two minutes later, I confirmed with the Google
> Groups "management tasks" that the user was newly subscribed (only a
> manager can do that).
>
> It looks like there is a bug (which we have seen before), because
> one minute later, I received another email:
>   We recently received a request from you to subscribe to the
>   group vim_dev. We know you are excited about this group, but
>   it looks like you are already subscribed to it.
>
> In vim_dev, the Google Groups management tools show no sign of a user
> named anhnmncb. My guess is that some over-zealous spam filtering is
> either rejecting your mail, or is blocking the reply (I don't think GG
> gives an indication of pending members; only actual members are shown).

Oh, so am I still not subscribe to vim_dev successfully???

What should I do then?

anhnmncb wrote:
> Oh, so am I still not subscribe to vim_dev successfully???

I just checked again. My previous post was correct (you were not
subscribed then). However, it appears you WERE subscribed at about the
time I sent my message.

Google Groups now says you joined vim_dev on "Mon, Jan 5 2009 7:05 pm"
(I think that time is at UTC-8 hours).

Some ISPs have very overloaded email systems, and it can be a day or two
before mail is actually sent. Perhaps something like caused your
problems.

We'll have to wait a couple of days to get some messages on vim_dev to
see if it works.

John

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 14:52:53 +0800, John Beckett wrote:

> anhnmncb wrote:
>> Oh, so am I still not subscribe to vim_dev successfully???
>
> I just checked again. My previous post was correct (you were not
> subscribed then). However, it appears you WERE subscribed at about the
> time I sent my message.
>
> Google Groups now says you joined vim_dev on "Mon, Jan 5 2009 7:05 pm"
> (I think that time is at UTC-8 hours).
>
> Some ISPs have very overloaded email systems, and it can be a day or two
> before mail is actually sent. Perhaps something like caused your
> problems.
>
> We'll have to wait a couple of days to get some messages on vim_dev to
> see if it works.

Yup, thank you, but my messages sent to vim_use seems have no such problem.

anhnmncb wrote:
>> Some ISPs have very overloaded email systems, and it can be
>> a day or  two before mail is actually sent.
>
> Yup, thank you, but my messages sent to vim_use seems have no
> such problem.

True. OK, I have no idea why your subscription request to vim_dev was
delayed (yet mine, using a test non-gmail account worked in minutes).

John

Re: How to subscribe to vim-dev mailing list?

Marvin Renich

* John Beckett [090106 04:26]:

> anhnmncb wrote:
> >> Some ISPs have very overloaded email systems, and it can be
> >> a day or  two before mail is actually sent.
> >
> > Yup, thank you, but my messages sent to vim_use seems have no
> > such problem.
>
> True. OK, I have no idea why your subscription request to vim_dev was
> delayed (yet mine, using a test non-gmail account worked in minutes).
>
> John

Just a heads-up:  SpamAssassin has a rule called FROM_LOCAL_NOVOWEL that
increases the spam score of a message if the local part of the "From"
email address contains a sequence of seven or more non-vowel characters.
The default Debian configuration adds 3.19, which is a significant
increase.

In my configuration, very few legitimate messages to vim_use or vim_dev
are marked as "marginal" (SA score between 1 and 5), but all of
anhnmncb's messages are in that range because of this test.  Some mail
servers (including mine) use greylisting; SA-Exim (which I use) only
greylists the first message from a recipient, and only if the SA score
is high enough.  This might (or might not) have anything to do with why
your subscription messages were delayed.

BTW, the policy for the Vim lists is to use your real name.  Is
anhnmncb the Romanization of your real name?

...Marvin

Re: How to subscribe to vim-dev mailing list?

Yue Wu

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 00:00:57 +0800, Marvin Renich wrote:

> * John Beckett [090106 04:26]:

>> > Yup, thank you, but my messages sent to vim_use seems have no
>> > such problem.
>>
>> True. OK, I have no idea why your subscription request to vim_dev was
>> delayed (yet mine, using a test non-gmail account worked in minutes).
>>
>> John
>>

> Just a heads-up:  SpamAssassin has a rule called FROM_LOCAL_NOVOWEL that
> increases the spam score of a message if the local part of the "From"
> email address contains a sequence of seven or more non-vowel characters.
> The default Debian configuration adds 3.19, which is a significant
> increase.
>
> In my configuration, very few legitimate messages to vim_use or vim_dev
> are marked as "marginal" (SA score between 1 and 5), but all of
> anhnmncb's messages are in that range because of this test.  Some mail
> servers (including mine) use greylisting; SA-Exim (which I use) only
> greylists the first message from a recipient, and only if the SA score
> is high enough.  This might (or might not) have anything to do with why
> your subscription messages were delayed.
>
> BTW, the policy for the Vim lists is to use your real name.  Is
> anhnmncb the Romanization of your real name?
>
> ...Marvin

It makes sense, I resigned up a new gmail account and it works fine,
thank you.

Van.