How to use command - z for undo?

Unnsse Khan-2
Hello,

I am running gvim Vim 7.0aa ALPHA on OS X 10.4 (Tiger) (I downloaded
this
from: http://macvim.org/OSX/index.html.

My .vimrc file looks like this:

Raven:~ untz$ cat .vimrc
set nocompatible
set ts=4
set keymodel=startsel
set nu
set autoindent
set ruler
set backspace=indent,eol,start
syntax on
colorscheme torte
set gfn=set guifont=Bitstream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 20

My  question is, how I use an "undo" on gvim?

When I click on "command key + z", it just echos:

<D-z>

Also, if I copy code from vim or some other program, and try to paste
in Outlook,
it gives me cryptic characters.... When I tried to copy the <D-z>
from gvim into this e-mail,
the output is this:

獤摤摤

Any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated...

With thanks,

Unnsse

Re: How to use command - z for undo?

A.J.Mechelynck
Unnsse Khan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running gvim Vim 7.0aa ALPHA on OS X 10.4 (Tiger) (I downloaded  this
> from: http://macvim.org/OSX/index.html.
>
> My .vimrc file looks like this:
>
> Raven:~ untz$ cat .vimrc
> set nocompatible
> set ts=4
> set keymodel=startsel
> set nu
> set autoindent
> set ruler
> set backspace=indent,eol,start
> syntax on
> colorscheme torte
> set gfn=set guifont=Bitstream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 20
>
> My  question is, how I use an "undo" on gvim?
>
> When I click on "command key + z", it just echos:
>
> <D-z>
>
> Also, if I copy code from vim or some other program, and try to paste
> in Outlook,
> it gives me cryptic characters.... When I tried to copy the <D-z>  from
> gvim into this e-mail,
> the output is this:
>
> ?????????
>
> Any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated...
>
> With thanks,
>
> Unnsse

Undo in (g)vim is obtained by hitting u in Normal mode. Vim is highly
configurable; but its basic keystrokes are inherited from VI, not from
Notepad, not from kedit, not from Word, not from WordPerfect and not
from WordStar. Its help is the most comprehensive (and the least
out-of-date) I ever saw for _any_ program, bar none; but that help is so
voluminous a haystack that sometimes finding your needle in it may be,
shall we say, a little awkward. ;-)

This said, there are ways to search the help. In this case,

        :help undo

would have given you the answer.

I don't know the answer to your paste problem. You are using Outlook,
not Outlook Express, are you? I know the latter but not the former.
Maybe it doesn't understand the clipboard data copied by "Vim or other
programs".

Unnsse Khan wrote:

> Antoine,
>
> I know that I could reference vim's help, but this undo and paste
> problem seemed
> akward to me and that's why I posted my question. I have used vim on
> Windows for
> years and never experienced these "basic" problems, so that's why I
> thought that it
> could be a settings issue. I can't believe that it won't work using
> "Command z" or "Control z",
> default, for that matter.
>
> Actually, I am using OS X's Mail and Microsoft's Entourage, I just  told
> everyone that I was
> using MS Outlook, because I didn't want to complicate matters. Its
> unfortunate that I have to
> use pico to copy and paste different things. I usually use gvim for
> everything.
>
> All the best,
>
> Unnsse

Vim normally uses u for undo; or Ctrl-O u if in Insert mode. "u for
undo" doesn't sound "awkward" or "complicated" to me, but if you want
"Cmd-Z for undo" instead, you can -- by means of a mapping, see the
other post in this thread. Cmd-Z is normally unused in Insert mode, so
you have the luck that there won't be a clash there; if you want to use
it in all modes, you need another mapping, as follows:

        :map <D-Z> u
        :map! <D-Z> <C-O>u

(Type all this literally, i.e., < is less-than, > is greater-than, etc.)
You can put these lines, without the colons, in your vimrc. You will
lose the Normal-mode Cmd-Z (Ctrl-Z is usually used to suspend Vim) but
you can use ":suspend" instead, so here too, there's no dramatic loss.

I would, however, urge you to learn "the Vim way" of doing things,
rather tran trying to make Vim mimic whatever editor you used before.
The latter is possible, but the former is usually more rewarding,
because it's only that way that you can learn all that Vim can do and
your former editor couldn't.

I still don't know why whatever mail client you are using (and if it
isn't Outlook, then what is it? With wrong information you won't get the
right anwer: garbage in, garbage out, as computer programmers used to
say) -- why you mail client doesn't read the clipboard data properly.