How to use * to search the word with dash under cursor?

How to use * to search the word with dash under cursor?

Zhe Lee

for example the text is like this
```
a-b
b-c
a-b

```

if the cursor is on the first line first column (on `a` now). And then I press `*` I want to find the `a-b` but the vim just search `a` instead of `a-b`, so how to make * to include the dash `-`?

Re: How to use * to search the word with dash under cursor?

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov

> for example the text is like this
> ```
> a-b
> b-c
> a-b
>
> ```
>

> if the cursor is on the first line first column (on `a` now). And then I press `*` I want to find the `a-b` but the vim just search `a` instead of `a-b`, so how to make * to include the dash `-`?

This is controlled by &iskeyword option (:h 'iskeyword'). Beware that
many syntax and some filetype plugin files think that &iskeyword is
not a user setting.

> ---

Re: How to use * to search the word with dash under cursor?

Tim Chase
On 2017-01-07 17:45, Zhe Lee wrote:
> if the cursor is on the first line first column (on `a` now). And
> then I press `*` I want to find the `a-b` but the vim just search
> `a` instead of `a-b`, so how to make * to include the dash `-`?

Add the dash to your 'iskeyword' setting:

  :set isk+=-

This changes the definition of a "word", so it will also impact
things like

  diw
  gUiw

and a number of others.

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 9:50:51 AM UTC+8, ZyX wrote:

> > for example the text is like this
> > ```
> > a-b
> > b-c
> > a-b
> >
> > ```
> >

> > if the cursor is on the first line first column (on `a` now). And then I press `*` I want to find the `a-b` but the vim just search `a` instead of `a-b`, so how to make * to include the dash `-`?
>
> This is controlled by &iskeyword option (:h 'iskeyword'). Beware that
> many syntax and some filetype plugin files think that &iskeyword is
> not a user setting.
>

> > --
> > --
> >
> > ---
tnx a lot for your reply ~ :)

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 9:52:52 AM UTC+8, Tim Chase wrote:

> On 2017-01-07 17:45, Zhe Lee wrote:
> > if the cursor is on the first line first column (on `a` now). And
> > then I press `*` I want to find the `a-b` but the vim just search
> > `a` instead of `a-b`, so how to make * to include the dash `-`?
>
> Add the dash to your 'iskeyword' setting:
>
>   :set isk+=-
>
> This changes the definition of a "word", so it will also impact
> things like
>
>   diw
>   gUiw
>
> and a number of others.