I just joined the Ruby list

Steve Litt
Hi all,

I just joined the Ruby list, and the first question I asked was how to write
Ruby code that looks like Ruby and not like Perl or C.

SteveT

Re: I just joined the Ruby list

Dillon Jones
Steve,

        You mean 'not like a marriage of pascal and perl'?

        That's not an anti-ruby rant; just what I thought of when first introduced
to ruby.

fdj

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:31:49PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just joined the Ruby list, and the first question I asked was how to write
> Ruby code that looks like Ruby and not like Perl or C.
>
> SteveT

Re: I just joined the Ruby list

Stefan Schmiedl-2
Steve Litt (2005-12-07 21:31):

> Hi all,
>
> I just joined the Ruby list, and the first question I asked was how to write
> Ruby code that looks like Ruby and not like Perl or C.

Heh ... another quote from "I, Robot":

        That, my friend, is the right question.

s.

On Thursday 08 December 2005 12:02 am, Dillon Jones wrote:
> Steve,
>
> You mean 'not like a marriage of pascal and perl'?
>
> That's not an anti-ruby rant; just what I thought of when first introduced
> to ruby.

Kinda sorta Dillon,

The only resemblance to Perl is that you don't declare data types, there's
garbage collection, and it has regular expressions (though in my opinion not
as easy or elegant as Perl's).

The resemblance to Pascal is more striking. Unlike Perl, which has absolutely
no respect for encapsulation (Larry Wall thinks the programmer shouldn't be
protected from himself, but he's never seen my code :-). Pascal is all about
encapsulation, and Ruby is the only one of the scripting languages I know
that offers complete encapsulation, including private, protected and public.
I think where Ruby advances on Pascal is that it takes many programming
idioms and creates shortcut syntax for them, most notably attr_reader,
attr_writer and attr_accessor.

Of course all this is moot since David Harris asked the poignant question --
will all VO users have root access necessary to install Ruby.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Founder and acting president: GoLUG
http://www.golug.org