I've joined another free software project

I've joined another free software project

Steve Litt
Hi all,

Because I'm the guy who wrote and maintains VO2LyX, and because LyX 1.7 will
be XML, and because XML will be much harder to parse, it looks like I'll be
documenting LyX-XML for the LyX project, and I will be writing LyX2YAML and
YAML2LyX converters. YAML is MUCH easier to parse with Vim, Awk and the like.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: I've joined another free software project

Martin DeMello
On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Because I'm the guy who wrote and maintains VO2LyX, and because LyX 1.7 will
> be XML, and because XML will be much harder to parse, it looks like I'll be
> documenting LyX-XML for the LyX project, and I will be writing LyX2YAML and
> YAML2LyX converters. YAML is MUCH easier to parse with Vim, Awk and the like.

Have you experimented with the xml->yaml and yaml->xml converters out
there? Should save a bunch of time and effort if one of them works.

martin

wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > Because I'm the guy who wrote and maintains VO2LyX, and because LyX 1.7
> > will be XML, and because XML will be much harder to parse, it looks like
> > I'll be documenting LyX-XML for the LyX project, and I will be writing
> > LyX2YAML and YAML2LyX converters. YAML is MUCH easier to parse with Vim,
> > Awk and the like.
>
> Have you experimented with the xml->yaml and yaml->xml converters out
> there? Should save a bunch of time and effort if one of them works.
>
> martin

I didn't know a prepackaged thing like that existed. Where would I start
looking for them?

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 5:54 AM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Saturday 26 July 2008 02:13, Martin DeMello wrote:
>>
>> Have you experimented with the xml->yaml and yaml->xml converters out
>> there? Should save a bunch of time and effort if one of them works.
>>
>> martin
>
> I didn't know a prepackaged thing like that existed. Where would I start
> looking for them?

Googling "xml yaml conversion"  yielded this as the most promising hit:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=21461

Guessing that tools would very likely be called xml2yaml and yaml2xml,
I also found these:

http://search.cpan.org/~markov/XML-Compile-0.88/bin/xml2yaml
http://www.unfitforprint.com/articles/2005/09/23/yaml2xml-in-33-lines-or-your-money-back

No guarantees as to quality, but they're worth experimenting with

martin