IDE's Vim 7 and Apple OS X

gunnerjoe
Hi All,

When you download c.vim : C/C++-IDE, BASH-IDE, or Perl-IDE,  for
example, the directions to install and get the menu items to show up,
goes as follows:

install details
Copy the zip archive  cvim.zip to $HOME/.vim/ and run
   unzip cvim.zip

While this works fine on Linux;  Mac OS X Vim does not recognize or
read the $Home/.vim  directory,  is there an alternate location to
place the IDE files?

On Windows it is the c:/program files/vim/plugin directory or
something close to that. Can't figure what it might be on Mac.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

Re: IDE's Vim 7 and Apple OS X

Rui Carlos
if you put the '~/.vim' directory in the runtime path (set
runtimepath=~/.vim,...) probably you can put the file in this
directory.

i think you also can put the files in the directory where vim is
installed (for example '/usr/share/vim/vim70').

regards
Rui Gonçalves

On 3/23/07, Joseph White <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> When you download c.vim : C/C++-IDE, BASH-IDE, or Perl-IDE,  for
> example, the directions to install and get the menu items to show up,
> goes as follows:
>
> install details
> Copy the zip archive  cvim.zip to $HOME/.vim/ and run
>    unzip cvim.zip
>
> While this works fine on Linux;  Mac OS X Vim does not recognize or
> read the $Home/.vim  directory,  is there an alternate location to
> place the IDE files?
>
> On Windows it is the c:/program files/vim/plugin directory or
> something close to that. Can't figure what it might be on Mac.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

Re: IDE's Vim 7 and Apple OS X

A.J.Mechelynck
Rui Gonçalves wrote:
> if you put the '~/.vim' directory in the runtime path (set
> runtimepath=~/.vim,...) probably you can put the file in this
> directory.
>
> i think you also can put the files in the directory where vim is
> installed (for example '/usr/share/vim/vim70').

*DON'T.* Any upgrade may (and the upgrade to Vim 7.1 or Vim 8 will) silently
overwrite any changes you made in $VIMRUNTIME or its subfolders.

> regards
> Rui Gonçalves

Use one of the directories listed *before* $VIMRUNTIME in the 'runtimepath'
option. Typical values include:

        $VIM/vimfiles (e.g. /usr/local/share/vim/vimfiles or "C:\Program
Files\Vim\vimfiles"): for system-wide scripts.

        $HOME/.vim or $HOME/vimfiles (e.g. /home/johndoe/.vim or "C:\Documents and
Settings\John Doe\vimfiles"): for single-user scripts.

Use ":set runtimepath?" (without the quotes) to see what 'runtimepath' is set
to on your system.

Re: IDE's Vim 7 and Apple OS X

Michael Henry-5
Joseph White wrote:
> While this works fine on Linux;  Mac OS X Vim does not recognize or read
> the $Home/.vim  directory,  is there an alternate location to place the
> IDE files?
>
> On Windows it is the c:/program files/vim/plugin directory or something
> close to that. Can't figure what it might be on Mac.

This may not be much help, but on my mac running OS X the ~/.vim
directory *is* recognized.  My runtimepath variable is as follows (shown
by typing `:set runtimepath=` and then pressing <Tab> to populate the
current value of the variable; it's convenient for cut-and-paste):

~/.vim,/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/vimfiles,/A
pplications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime,/Applications/Vim.app/Content
s/Resources/vim/vimfiles/after,~/.vim/after

I don't believe I did anything special to get runtimepath setup like
this.  I did compile Vim 7.206 myself, with :version information below.

:version
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Mar  3 2007 15:21:47)
MacOS X (unix) version
Included patches: 1-206
Compiled by mike@mac
Huge version with Carbon GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
+arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
-clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
+comments
+cryptv -cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic
+emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path
+folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand
+jumplist
  +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu
+mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
-mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
-netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer +profile
-python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent
-sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static
-tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar
+user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
+vreplace
+wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
-xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
    system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
       user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
   system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
     user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
   fall-back for $VIM: "/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim"
Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MAC
-fno-common -fpas
cal-strings -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -mdynamic-no-pic -pipe -I.
-Iproto -DMACO
S_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon  -g -O
Linking:
gcc   -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim -framework Carbon      -lncurses  -liconv

Michael Henry

Re: IDE's Vim 7 and Apple OS X

Muskoka Auto Parts Limited

Re: IDE's Vim 7 and Apple OS X

robert h-2
Joseph White wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> When you download c.vim : C/C++-IDE, BASH-IDE, or Perl-IDE,  for
> example, the directions to install and get the menu items to show up,
> goes as follows:
>
> install details
> Copy the zip archive  cvim.zip to $HOME/.vim/ and run
>   unzip cvim.zip
>
> While this works fine on Linux;  Mac OS X Vim does not recognize or read
> the $Home/.vim  directory,  is there an alternate location to place the
> IDE files?

Huh? I have all my stuff in "$HOME/.vim/" on OSX and it works like a charm.

Robert