Ide-like improvements

Dodo
Hi,

I'm a software developer and I'm currently working on a project on MacOSX.

Please forgive me whether I ask whings that can be silly or obvious to the most of you.

The most of the times, I work on huge projects (even 500000 lines of code).
Although I'm very very fast with "vi"/"vim" and keyboard typing, I do not always use vim for the following reason:

- while editing a c/c++ source file, given a variable, there is no way to track back where the variable has been declared.
- it would be very useful to have a directory file browsing (like for instance Norton Commander) needed especially when you want to open multiple files but just one by one.
- it would be useful to be able to open an include file by just standing on the "include" word and then pressing a key combination.

I apolagize if this list is not the right place to post such points.

Cheers

Dodo

Re: Ide-like improvements

Kyle Lippincott-2

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Dodo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm a software developer and I'm currently working on a project on MacOSX.

Please forgive me whether I ask whings that can be silly or obvious to the most of you.

The most of the times, I work on huge projects (even 500000 lines of code).
Although I'm very very fast with "vi"/"vim" and keyboard typing, I do not always use vim for the following reason:

- while editing a c/c++ source file, given a variable, there is no way to track back where the variable has been declared.

- it would be very useful to have a directory file browsing (like for instance Norton Commander) needed especially when you want to open multiple files but just one by one.

I believe plugins for that exist, but I don't know one offhand

- it would be useful to be able to open an include file by just standing on the "include" word and then pressing a key combination.

I think this only works if you're on the filename, not the include statement itself, but you can hit "gf" (without quotes) to do this.  It uses your path.  :help gf

I apolagize if this list is not the right place to post such points.

Cheers

Dodo

Re: Ide-like improvements

David Henderson

I believe YouCompleteMe while a fantastic tool is only for code completion. What you want is exuberant ctags, http://ctags.sourceforge.net.

- it would be very useful to have a directory file browsing (like for instance Norton Commander) needed especially when you want to open multiple files but just one by one.

I believe plugins for that exist, but I don’t know one offhand
Try searching the scripts in vim.org for relevant plugins that do this or you could use the built in :help netrw commands to do this.

Re: Ide-like improvements

Dodo
Thank you all for the replies.

I didn't know about the "gf" command, it's a great feature and works really fine!

About the search for a variable declaration, I'll take a look at youcompleteme, although I'm not a fan of the plugins (i prefer monolotic binaries).
Thanx a lot, you can bet that I'll post further questions.

Still, may be that this is OT, given that vi/vim are very often used by fast type-writers (like me), would you reccomend any specific keyboard? Does anybody know about the "happy hacking keyboard professional 2", for instance?

Cheers

Dodo

Sent by mobile phone. Please ignore typos and concise style.

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 8:25 PM, David Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 21 May 2015, at 16:36, Kyle Lippincott <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Dodo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm a software developer and I'm currently working on a project on MacOSX.

Please forgive me whether I ask whings that can be silly or obvious to the most of you.

The most of the times, I work on huge projects (even 500000 lines of code).
Although I'm very very fast with "vi"/"vim" and keyboard typing, I do not always use vim for the following reason:

- while editing a c/c++ source file, given a variable, there is no way to track back where the variable has been declared.

I believe YouCompleteMe while a fantastic tool is only for code completion. What you want is exuberant ctags, http://ctags.sourceforge.net.

I thought so too for a while! :)

:GoToDeclaration

- it would be very useful to have a directory file browsing (like for instance Norton Commander) needed especially when you want to open multiple files but just one by one.

I believe plugins for that exist, but I don’t know one offhand
Try searching the scripts in vim.org for relevant plugins that do this or you could use the built in :help netrw commands to do this.

Re: Ide-like improvements

Yongwei Wu
On 22 May 2015 at 11:25, David Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 21 May 2015, at 16:36, Kyle Lippincott <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Dodo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm a software developer and I'm currently working on a project on MacOSX.

Please forgive me whether I ask whings that can be silly or obvious to the most of you.

The most of the times, I work on huge projects (even 500000 lines of code).
Although I'm very very fast with "vi"/"vim" and keyboard typing, I do not always use vim for the following reason:

- while editing a c/c++ source file, given a variable, there is no way to track back where the variable has been declared.

I believe YouCompleteMe while a fantastic tool is only for code completion. What you want is exuberant ctags, http://ctags.sourceforge.net.

​Just for the record. ​
For pure C code, CScope
​ might be useful too:
I am not using YCM (as I am comfortable enough with Clang-Complete, CTags, and CScope), so I am not sure whether YCM covers all the CScope features. I know YCM supports finding the definition at least. Maybe I should try out YCM some time.

--
Wu Yongwei

[...]

In my case I'd need YCM for both c/c++.
I tried to install it yesterday night but I didn't succeded  because of an error when launching the following command:

#./install.sh --clang-completer
(something like a build.py file was missing).

I'll take the right time to retry the installation.

Btw, and of course it's just my humble opinion, I'd like an approach "norton commander" style to both browse new files and pick up already opened files.

Thanx for your support.

Cheers

Dodo

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 7:47 AM, Yongwei Wu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Charles Campbell
Dodo wrote:
> <snip>
> - it would be very useful to have a directory file browsing (like for instance Norton Commander) needed especially when you want to open multiple files but just one by one.
> <snip>
What is it that you want that netrw doesn't provide?   Have you tried
editing a directory -- you'll get a directory listing from which you can
open files.  (as an example,  :e .)

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Re: Ide-like improvements

Dodo
I must apolagize with vim and with you all: I didn't know about the ":e ." option!

This works great as well!!!
Perhaps I'm gonna discover that vim can even predict the future! ;-)

Thanx!

Il giorno 27/mag/2015, alle ore 16:00, Charles Campbell <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Dodo wrote:
>> <snip>
>> - it would be very useful to have a directory file browsing (like for instance Norton Commander) needed especially when you want to open multiple files but just one by one.
>> <snip>
> What is it that you want that netrw doesn't provide?   Have you tried
> editing a directory -- you'll get a directory listing from which you can
> open files.  (as an example,  :e .)
>
> Regards,
> Chip Campbell

> ---

Re: Ide-like improvements

Niklas Lindström

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Dodo <[hidden email]> wrote:
I must apolagize with vim and with you all: I didn't know about the ":e ." option!

This works great as well!!!
Perhaps I'm gonna discover that vim can even predict the future! ;-)

It can:

    :later 8h

For some reason, arriving at work and just doing that isn't enough though. ;)

(On a more serious note, this is for navigating the history state (which sometimes involve branches of time....). See :help undo for the details.)

Cheers,
Niklas

Thanx!

Dodo

Sent by mobile phone. Please ignore typos and concise style.

Il giorno 27/mag/2015, alle ore 16:00, Charles Campbell <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Dodo wrote:
>> <snip>
>> - it would be very useful to have a directory file browsing (like for instance Norton Commander) needed especially when you want to open multiple files but just one by one.
>> <snip>
> What is it that you want that netrw doesn't provide?   Have you tried
> editing a directory -- you'll get a directory listing from which you can
> open files.  (as an example,  :e .)
>
> Regards,
> Chip Campbell

> ---

Re: Ide-like improvements

Charles Campbell
Dodo wrote:
> I must apolagize with vim and with you all: I didn't know about the ":e ." option!
>
> This works great as well!!!
> Perhaps I'm gonna discover that vim can even predict the future! ;-)
>
> Thanx!
>
> Dodo

OK!  I thought that perhaps you wanted something that netrw wasn't
providing.   You'll want to read  :help netrw-quickmaps  to get an
overview of what netrw can do.

Netrw comes up in "thin" style by default (hobgoblins of past
compatibility, I'm afraid).  I myself use wide style, and many use tree
style.   Press "i" to switch between them, and put  :let
g:netrw_liststyle=... in your .vimrc to make your choice your default
(see  :help g:netrw_liststyle).

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Re: Ide-like improvements