Imminent Vim 7.1 release, can we make it?

Imminent Vim 7.1 release, can we make it?

Tim Pope-2
Hi all.

The first beta of Vim 7.1 is out, and apparently Bram intends on doing
the release in the next few days.  Doug, any chance of us doing a
release in the next 24 hours or so, in time to make it into the next
Vim release?  I'm going to start working on the NEWS file now.  Let me
know if you need any additional help; I'd really like to get the new
eRuby stuff into 7.1.  If/when you email Bram, don't forget to let him
know to add *.erb to the ftdetect script.

Let me take this moment to justify a couple of recent changes I made.
The ruby ftplugin now sports 8 new maps: [[, ]], [], ][, [m, ]m, [M,
and ]M.  The first 4 bounce around class and module declarations, and
the second four around method declarations.  My rationale for their
inclusion is that they cover up sequences that are quite worthless in
Ruby with mappings that mirror their original intent.  This is not
unprecedented:  Bram himself does it in ftplugin/vim.vim.  I'm
generally against mappings in ftplugins but I think these are both
helpful and benign.

If anyone disagrees, by all means strip them out until we can discuss
them more.  I don't want them to hold up the release.

Cheers,
Tim

Re: Imminent Vim 7.1 release, can we make it?

Tim Pope-2
On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 12:01:19PM -0500, Tim Pope wrote:
> The first beta of Vim 7.1 is out, and apparently Bram intends on doing
> the release in the next few days.  Doug, any chance of us doing a
> release in the next 24 hours or so, in time to make it into the next
> Vim release?  I'm going to start working on the NEWS file now.  Let me

NEWS is done.

Cheers,
Tim

Re: Imminent Vim 7.1 release, can we make it?

Doug Kearns
On 5/7/07, Tim Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> The first beta of Vim 7.1 is out, and apparently Bram intends on doing
> the release in the next few days.

Bram and his two day betas, eh? ;-)

> Doug, any chance of us doing a
> release in the next 24 hours or so, in time to make it into the next
> Vim release?  I'm going to start working on the NEWS file now.  Let me
> know if you need any additional help; I'd really like to get the new
> eRuby stuff into 7.1.  If/when you email Bram, don't forget to let him
> know to add *.erb to the ftdetect script.

That should be fine. Have you been running from CVS since the last release?

> Let me take this moment to justify a couple of recent changes I made.
> The ruby ftplugin now sports 8 new maps: [[, ]], [], ][, [m, ]m, [M,
> and ]M.  The first 4 bounce around class and module declarations, and
> the second four around method declarations.  My rationale for their
> inclusion is that they cover up sequences that are quite worthless in
> Ruby with mappings that mirror their original intent.  This is not
> unprecedented:  Bram himself does it in ftplugin/vim.vim.  I'm
> generally against mappings in ftplugins but I think these are both
> helpful and benign.
>
> If anyone disagrees, by all means strip them out until we can discuss
> them more.  I don't want them to hold up the release.

Sounds good - I have no objections.  Gavin?

Regards,
Doug

Re: Imminent Vim 7.1 release, can we make it?

Doug Kearns
On 5/7/07, Tim Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 12:01:19PM -0500, Tim Pope wrote:
> > The first beta of Vim 7.1 is out, and apparently Bram intends on doing
> > the release in the next few days.  Doug, any chance of us doing a
> > release in the next 24 hours or so, in time to make it into the next
> > Vim release?  I'm going to start working on the NEWS file now.  Let me
>
> NEWS is done.

Thanks!

Regards,
Doug

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 11:42:00AM +1000, Doug Kearns wrote:
> On 5/7/07, Tim Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > The first beta of Vim 7.1 is out, and apparently Bram intends on doing
> > the release in the next few days.
>
> Bram and his two day betas, eh? ;-)

Yeah, I know.  It's mostly a humdrum incremental release, so he's not
anticipating many problems.

> > Doug, any chance of us doing a
> > release in the next 24 hours or so, in time to make it into the next
> > Vim release?  I'm going to start working on the NEWS file now.  Let me
> > know if you need any additional help; I'd really like to get the new
> > eRuby stuff into 7.1.  If/when you email Bram, don't forget to let him
> > know to add *.erb to the ftdetect script.
>
> That should be fine. Have you been running from CVS since the last release?

Yes, and tweaking it here and there.

There is also documentation that needs to be updated (the syntax one).
In addition to *.erb, there are a couple of other extensions I've
added to ftdetect as well.  I'm linking a patch (over the list size
limit) against the latest Vim CVS that you can send to Bram if you
want.  It might make things easier for him.

http://rails.vim.tpope.net/vim-ruby.patch

Cheers,
Tim

Re: Imminent Vim 7.1 release, can we make it?

Doug Kearns
Tim,

On 5/7/07, Tim Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 11:42:00AM +1000, Doug Kearns wrote:
> > On 5/7/07, Tim Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > > The first beta of Vim 7.1 is out, and apparently Bram intends on doing
> > > the release in the next few days.
> >
> > Bram and his two day betas, eh? ;-)
>
> Yeah, I know.  It's mostly a humdrum incremental release, so he's not
> anticipating many problems.

I've just sent the latest release to Bram.  I'll send it up to
rubyforge later today.

<snip>

Regards,
Doug

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 03:02:37PM +1000, Doug Kearns wrote:
> I've just sent the latest release to Bram.  I'll send it up to
> rubyforge later today.

Great, thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Tim