In which file is the runtimepath set.

R. shankar
Hi,
   My plugins in my dir (~/.vim/plugin) are not working.
   After looking for help , I tried to look for what is 'runtimepath'
   The "set rtp" returned me following -
  runtimepath=~/.vim,/tool/gnu/vim/Linux/6.3/share/vim/vimfiles,/tool/gnu/vim/Linux/6.3/share/vim/vim63,/tool/gnu/vim/L
inux/6.3/share/vim/vimfiles/after,~/.vim/after

I do not in which file these paths are set. Mostly because of this problem only the plugins are not working.

Regards,
shankar

Re: In which file is the runtimepath set.

A.J.Mechelynck
>   My plugins in my dir (~/.vim/plugin) are not working.
>   After looking for help , I tried to look for what is 'runtimepath'
>   The "set rtp" returned me following -
>
> runtimepath=~/.vim,/tool/gnu/vim/Linux/6.3/share/vim/vimfiles,/tool/gnu/vim/Linux/6.3/share/vim/vim63,/tool/gnu/vim/L
> inux/6.3/share/vim/vimfiles/after,~/.vim/after
>
> I do not in which file these paths are set. Mostly because of this problem
> only the plugins are not working.
>

> Regards,
> shankar

Try ":verbose set runtimepath?"

Normally 'runtimepath' is set at compile-time. In that case ":verbose" won't
tell you where it was set, and the base directories of the various "runtime
trees" are as follows (on Unix):

    $HOME/.vim
        for full-fledged scripts paticular to one user
    $VIM/vimfiles
        for full-fledged scripts common to all users on a single system
    $VIMRUNTIME
        for whatever was distributed together with Vim. Don't change any
file in this tree, because the next upgrade (or the one after that) might
silently overwrite your changes.
    $VIM/vimfiles/after
        for small system-wide customizations to any or all of the above
    $HOME/.vim/after
        for small single-user customizations to any or all of the above

Usually, only $VIMRUNTIME has all the "possible" subdirectories. The
corresponding subdirectories can be created in the other trees on an
"as-needed" basis.

$VIMRUNTIME is best not set in the environment, unless it resides at an
unusual place. For version 6.3, Vim can find it if it is equivalent to, say,
$VIM/vim63

$VIM may or may not be set outside Vim. In your case it probably should be
set to "/tool/gnu/vim/Linux/6.3/share/vim" without the quotes. Your global
plugins should be in $VIM/vimfiles/plugin, $VIM/vim63/plugin and
$HOME/.vim/plugin; your colorschemes in $VIM/vimfiles/colors,
$VIM/vim63/colors and $HOME/.vim/colors; etc.

To check if $VIM is set, do

    echo $VIM

in your shell or in Vim. If it is not set, or if it is set wrongly, you can
add

    export VIM = '/tool/gnu/vim/Linux/6.3/share/vim'

to one of your bash startup scripts such as /etc/profile or ~/.profile