Inconsistent behavior when changing inside of a text object.

Inconsistent behavior when changing inside of a text object.

J.F.
I assume this question is answered elsewhere, but I'm having trouble formulating a question to type into a search engine.  I can only think of an example...

Consider the line below:

   I am [so darned] "cool"...

Positioning the cursor on 'I' and typing the mapping 'ci"' will delete "cool" and put me inside the quotes in Insert mode.  However, typing "ci[" when positioned on the 'I' won't perform similarly.

Is there a reason for this inconsistency?

I'm currently using Vim 7.4.

Re: Inconsistent behavior when changing inside of a text object.

Paul-4

I don't know the reason, but https://github.com/wellle/targets.vim will do it.

Re: Inconsistent behavior when changing inside of a text object.

J.F.
Thank you, Jan!

I wasn't aware of this plugin.  What a magnificent find!

Best,
JF