Infinite loop on ,,cz

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Infinite loop on ,,cz

Steve Litt
Hi all,

I highlighted the whole outline and did ,,cz in order to reset the
percentages, and it went into a CPU crunching infinite loop. Is there a way
to reset all percentages in an entire outline?

Also, is there a way to uncheck all checkboxes?

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
   * Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm
_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Infinite loop on ,,cz

Peter Princz
Steve,

On 17/11/06, Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I highlighted the whole outline and did ,,cz in order to reset the
> percentages, and it went into a CPU crunching infinite loop. Is there a way
> to reset all percentages in an entire outline?
>
> Also, is there a way to uncheck all checkboxes?
>
> Thanks
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt

it's not kidding, but really there's no way to tell if a loop is
really infinite, or just it takes too long to complete. :)
I wrote some time ago about the problem of updates when you do :split
or :vsplit on an outline file. Normally it takes 10 seconds for me to
update the whole file, doing the update on the very same line but with
>1 windows  can take even an hour, and yes, load is 100% on the CPU.
However, it will finish correctly sooner or later.

Regarding the recursive resetting: at least for me, doing a ,,cx on a
collapsed node will toggle the checked/unchecked state of the
highlighted item and then to propagate it down to all the children.

Have a nice day,
  Peter

--
Keep cool. Develop in total darkness.
_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Infinite loop on ,,cz

Noel Henson
In reply to this post by Steve Litt
Steve,

I'll verify that it's an infinite loop. It shouldn't be. But if it is, I'll
correct it later today.

Noel

On Friday 17 November 2006 04:24, Steve Litt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I highlighted the whole outline and did ,,cz in order to reset the
> percentages, and it went into a CPU crunching infinite loop. Is there a
> way to reset all percentages in an entire outline?
>
> Also, is there a way to uncheck all checkboxes?
>
> Thanks
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> Author:
>    * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
>    * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
>    * Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
>    * Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
>    * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist
>
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm
> _______________________________________________
> VimOutliner mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner

--

------------------------------------------------------------------
  Noel Henson
  www.noels-lab.com Chips, firmware and embedded systems
  www.vimoutliner.org Work fast. Think well.

_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Infinite loop on ,,cz

Scott Scriven-2
In reply to this post by Steve Litt
* Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Also, is there a way to uncheck all checkboxes?

Well, there's always :%s/\[X\]/[_]/g ...
Probably not what you meant, though.  That won't update
percentages.


-- Scott
_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Infinite loop on ,,cz

Steve Litt
On Tuesday 21 November 2006 19:11, Scott Scriven wrote:
> * Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Also, is there a way to uncheck all checkboxes?
>
> Well, there's always :%s/\[X\]/[_]/g ...
> Probably not what you meant, though.  That won't update
> percentages.

Great minds think alike Scott. :%s/\[X\]/[_]/g is exactly what I did, and then
I did ,,cz to update all percentages in the outline.

I was just hoping there was a more VO-esque way to cancel all the checkboxes.

SteveT
_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Infinite loop on ,,cz

Peter Princz
Steve, Scott,

On 22/11/06, Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 21 November 2006 19:11, Scott Scriven wrote:
> > * Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Also, is there a way to uncheck all checkboxes?
> >
> > Well, there's always :%s/\[X\]/[_]/g ...
> > Probably not what you meant, though.  That won't update
> > percentages.
>
> Great minds think alike Scott. :%s/\[X\]/[_]/g is exactly what I did, and then
> I did ,,cz to update all percentages in the outline.
>
> I was just hoping there was a more VO-esque way to cancel all the checkboxes.
>
> SteveT

yes, but greatest minds are lazy too :), apart from being fluent in
vim search patterns.
As I wrote earlier, collapsing the whole tree and ,,cx on the parent
at most twice (once or twice depends on if the parent is checked or
not) also does the trick.

Have a nice day,
  Peter

--
Keep cool. Develop in total darkness.
_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Infinite loop on ,,cz

Noel Henson
In reply to this post by Noel Henson
Steve (and all),

It is not an infinite loop. Because it's recursive and starts computing for
each child, the computation tree expands exponentially. When only one child
is being updated, the entire tree from the top level down including the
siblings of the child are all recomputed. In most cases of a group ,,cx or
,,cz, check boxes are recomputed several times. I'll have to see if there
is a way to speed the basic algorithm or to only compute the branch the
,,cx-ed child is in, disregarding its siblings.

Noel

On Friday 17 November 2006 05:37, Noel Henson wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I'll verify that it's an infinite loop. It shouldn't be. But if it is,
> I'll correct it later today.
>
> Noel
>
> On Friday 17 November 2006 04:24, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I highlighted the whole outline and did ,,cz in order to reset the
> > percentages, and it went into a CPU crunching infinite loop. Is there
> > a way to reset all percentages in an entire outline?
> >
> > Also, is there a way to uncheck all checkboxes?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > SteveT
> >
> > Steve Litt
> > Author:
> >    * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
> >    * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
> >    * Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
> >    * Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
> >    * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist
> >
> > http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore
> > http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm
> > _______________________________________________
> > VimOutliner mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner

--

------------------------------------------------------------------
  Noel Henson
  www.noels-lab.com Chips, firmware and embedded systems
  www.vimoutliner.org Work fast. Think well.

_______________________________________________
VimOutliner mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.lists.vimoutliner.org/mailman/listinfo/vimoutliner