Input greek characters

Dennis Cao
System Environment:
* Windows XP Pro SP2 Simple Chinese Version
* Vim 7.2

I want to input greek characters. As my system is Simple Chinese, I
tried keymap feature in vim.

After I have doen all the configuration according to vim doc, I typed
the keyboard.  I find some strangle Chinese chracters are displayed.

Then I set option 'enc' empty, which make all the existing Chinese
characters in the file replaces with some digits.
In this case, I typed the keyboard. I get the greek character, but
only HALF of a character is displayed.

Can anybody tell me how to input these greek characters correctly on
my system? Thanks:)

---------------------------------
曹贵林 ( TheodoreCao )

Re: Input greek characters

Tony Mechelynck
On 07/03/10 09:53, Dennis Cao wrote:

> System Environment:
> * Windows XP Pro SP2 Simple Chinese Version
> * Vim 7.2
>
> I want to input greek characters. As my system is Simple Chinese, I
> tried keymap feature in vim.
>
> After I have doen all the configuration according to vim doc, I typed
> the keyboard.  I find some strangle Chinese chracters are displayed.
>
> Then I set option 'enc' empty, which make all the existing Chinese
> characters in the file replaces with some digits.
> In this case, I typed the keyboard. I get the greek character, but
> only HALF of a character is displayed.
>
> Can anybody tell me how to input these greek characters correctly on
> my system? Thanks:)
>
> ---------------------------------
> 曹贵林 ( TheodoreCao )

1. Make sure that 'encoding' is set to some charset which includes Greek
glyphs: UTF-8 will certainly do it, or maybe GB18030 will, but not the
other Chinese charsets. To set Vim up for UTF-8, see
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode

2. There are several possible methods to input Greek characters. To use
a keymap, you must be sure that your keyboard can send the {lhs} of the
keymaps (the first part, before the first whitespace, on every line of
the keymap which is neither empty nor starting with a double quote,
after the loadkeymap line). OTOH, the following methods should work on
every keyboard setting:

        2a. Digraphs (see :help digraph.txt). IMHO for Greek this is the
easiest, except if you need to type long Greek texts, in which case you
might be better off making up your own keymap. For Greek, use the
corresponding Latin letter followed by an asterisk, except that the
word-final lowercase sigma is *s. In all cases you type Ctrl-K followed
by the two characters of the digraph (in Insert mode).

        2b. Unicode codepoint: see :help i_CTRL-V_digit -- for this method you
must know the Unicode codepoint number (in hex) of the character you
want to enter, and 'encoding' must be UTF-8. IMHO it is best suited for
individual characters for which no digraphs exist.

        2c. Writing your own ad-hoc keymap according to which characters your
keyboard produces: see http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_make_a_keymap --
I use this for Russian and Arabic (with two different owncoded keymaps)
because the existing keymaps are based on mapping the "usual" keyboard
layouts of these countries over a QWERTY keyboard, and it's less hard on
my memory to type Latin letters whose sound is similar to that of the
letter I want to type.

        FIGHTING WORDS

Say my love is easy had,
        Say I'm bitten raw with pride,
Say I am too often sad --
        Still behold me at your side.

Say I'm neither brave nor young,
        Say I woo and coddle care,
Say the devil touched my tongue --
        Still you have my heart to wear.

But say my verses do not scan,
        And I get me another man!
                -- Dorothy Parker

Re: Input greek characters

Aditya Kher
This is interesting.
I wonder if it is possible to use VIM for  Devnagari
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devanagari)? The encoding is UTF-8 and
there are several Keyboard layouts available that use transliteration
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devanagari#INSCRIPT_layout).
Any ideas?

Re: Input greek characters

Tony Mechelynck
On 08/03/10 04:51, Aditya Kher wrote:
> This is interesting.
> I wonder if it is possible to use VIM for  Devnagari
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devanagari)? The encoding is UTF-8 and
> there are several Keyboard layouts available that use transliteration
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devanagari#INSCRIPT_layout).
> Any ideas?

I'm not sure. You'd probably have to use gvim, or maybe (on Linux) Vim
in mlterm if your mlterm font has Indian glyphs; and I don't know how
Vim handles the occasional "reordering", e.g. the fact that the "long i"
vowel comes after its consonant in the UTF-8 text but is written to its
left in the written text. If it is treated as a "combining character"
the result will probably be OK but otherwise I'm not sure. I'm also not
sure how gvim handles the contextual changes in glyph shape which are
frequent in Indian scripts.

I suppose you will have to experiment.

If anything can go wrong, it will.

Re: Input greek characters

On 09/03/10 02:37, Dennis Cao wrote:

> Another Two Issue
> 1. When using 'digraph' and 'i_CTRL-V_digit':
>      I find I can NOT input characters whose value are between 128 and
> 255 (decimal).
>      All these char are displayed as a small rectangle. Why?
> 2. http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode are not available
> for me. My IE reports 'address is unavaiable'. Is the wiki site OK?
>
> Thanks:)
>

>   ---------------------------------
>   曹贵林 ( Theodore Cao )

The site works for me. If you are in mainland China, maybe the site is
blocked by your government? (though I can't imagine what would be
"subversive" on that site)

Mark's Dental-Chair Discovery:
        Dentists are incapable of asking questions that require a
simple yes or no answer.

Re: Input greek characters

On 09/03/10 02:09, Dennis Cao wrote:
> Thanks Tony. I can input greek characters in gvim:)  These are my steps:

> ENVIRONMENT:  Windows XP Pro SP3 Simple Chinese / Vim 7.2/
>
> 1. config _vimrc as follows:
>     set enc=utf-8
>     set fenc=utf-8
>     set guifont=courier_new:h12

Try changing it as follows:

if has('multi_byte') " if not compiled-in, we can't use it
        if &enc !~? '^u' " if already Unicode, no need to change
                if &tenc == "" " don't clobber keyboard locale
                        let &tenc = &enc
                endif
                set enc=utf-8
        endif
        " define the heuristics to identify 'fileencoding'
        " of existing files
        set fencs=ucs-bom,utf-8,default,latin1
        " the following sets defaults for newly created files
        " comment, uncomment, or change at will
        setglobal bomb
        setglobal fenc=utf8
endif
if has('gui') " non-GUI-enabled versions don't know about 'guifont'
        if has('gui_gtk2') " GTK2 but not GTK1
                set gfn=Courier\ New\ 12
        elseif has('gui_photon') " Photon
                set gfn=Courier\ New:s12
        elseif has('gui_kde') " kvim (obsolete)
                set gfn=Courier\ New/12/-1/5/50/0/0/0/1/0
        elseif has('x11') " other X11 (including GTK1)
                set gfn=-*-courier-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-m-*-*
        else " other (including Windows)
                set gfn=Courier_New:h12:cDEFAULT

> 2. open gvim from cygwin
>      Inputing greek characters with keymap and i_CTRL-V_digit works

I don't know. Maybe Cygwin starts in UTF-8, which would mean that Vim
<=> Cygwin happens in UTF-8 without misunderstanding even if
'termencoding' (q.v.) is left empty.

> And I find another issue. I have to START GVIM FROM  "Cygwin"!!!
> If I start gvim from windows explorer. The message characters in gvim
> are not correctly displayed (see the attachment.)
> Can can you tell the reasons? Thanks :)

Hm, I'm not sure.

Down with categorical imperative!

RE: Input greek characters

JohnBeckett
Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> The site works for me. If you are in mainland China, maybe
> the site is blocked by your government? (though I can't
> imagine what would be "subversive" on that site)

To the OP: Wikia is blocked in China (I don't know why). An old
version of vim.wikia.com is available at a mirror site set up in
response. The site is not maintained (I think) and is somewhat
broken because various templates and so forth were not imported
properly, however the content of most tips is available.

The tip in question is:
http://broom9.com/Vim_Tips_Wiki/index.php?title=Working_with_Unicode

John

Re: Input greek characters

Tony Mechelynck
On 09/03/10 10:17, John Beckett wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>> The site works for me. If you are in mainland China, maybe
>> the site is blocked by your government? (though I can't
>> imagine what would be "subversive" on that site)
>
> To the OP: Wikia is blocked in China (I don't know why). An old
> version of vim.wikia.com is available at a mirror site set up in
> response. The site is not maintained (I think) and is somewhat
> broken because various templates and so forth were not imported
> properly, however the content of most tips is available.
>
> The tip in question is:
> http://broom9.com/Vim_Tips_Wiki/index.php?title=Working_with_Unicode
>
> John

曹贵林: I'm not sure you follow vim_multibyte (though for this kind of
discussion, you should).

If it's the whole of wikia, then I suppose some Chinese official
disliked something that was published on some /other/ wikia site, and
that they blocked the whole of wikia without checking the fine points.

"I played lead guitar in a band called The Federal Duck, which is the
kind of name that was popular in the '60s as a result of controlled
substances being in widespread use.  Back then, there were no
restrictions, in terms of talent, on who could make an album, so we
made one, and it sounds like a group of people who have been given
powerful but unfamiliar instruments as a therapy for a degenerative
nerve disease."
                -- Dave Barry, "The Snake"