Inter-outline Linking: a possible solution

Inter-outline Linking: a possible solution

Noel Henson
I just noticed the fact buffers remain loaded when a new file is edited
with :e. and gf. This may be the best solution for inter-outline linking.
Using gf to move forward and mapping :bprev to move back. You can actually
move back and forth between the buffers and the cursor position is
remembered. Try it and I'm sure you'll like it.

Noel

Re: Inter-outline Linking: a possible solution

Steve Litt
On Sunday 28 September 2008 03:29:59 pm Noel Henson wrote:
> I just noticed the fact buffers remain loaded when a new file is edited
> with :e. and gf. This may be the best solution for inter-outline linking.
> Using gf to move forward and mapping :bprev to move back. You can actually
> move back and forth between the buffers and the cursor position is
> remembered. Try it and I'm sure you'll like it.

I prefer

:e <cfile><CR>

as goto link, because it creates the file on the fly if it doesn't exist.

I prefer :bd to :bp as the command to return to caller, because killing the
buffer is more stack like, and I'm less likely to get confused about where I
am. Tell you the truth, I didn't like the fact that with the old interoutline
linking, the plunged-to file remained in a buffer after you returned with
Ctrl+N.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package