Is it time to merge MacVim into mainline Vim?

Is it time to merge MacVim into mainline Vim?

Charles
Is there any reason still existing why MacVim is a separate project from
the offical Vim repo?  MacVim is stable and mature, and is probably fairly
easily mergeable into Vim.

One benefit of pulling MacVim into regular Vim is: MacVim will never be
behind Vim in patch level.

Also, in mainline Vim, the Carbon GUI is effectively dead.  If mainline
Vim wants an OSX GUI, it should pull in MacVim.  It works all the way back
to 10.4, and if support of even older machines is desired, the Carbon
option can be kept.

-Charles

Charles wrote:

> Is there any reason still existing why MacVim is a separate project from
> the offical Vim repo?  MacVim is stable and mature, and is probably fairly
> easily mergeable into Vim.
>
> One benefit of pulling MacVim into regular Vim is: MacVim will never be
> behind Vim in patch level.
>
> Also, in mainline Vim, the Carbon GUI is effectively dead.  If mainline
> Vim wants an OSX GUI, it should pull in MacVim.  It works all the way back
> to 10.4, and if support of even older machines is desired, the Carbon
> option can be kept.

The main reason it's a separate project is because there are different
people working on MacVim.  This way the project can progress
independently.

I have already offered in the past to include relevant changes into core
Vim.  It's just a matter of providing me with the patch.  Preferably
tested :-).

--
Lose weight, NEVER Diet again with
                  The "Invisible Weight Loss Patch"

Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Charles wrote:
>> Is there any reason still existing why MacVim is a separate project
from the offical Vim repo?  MacVim is stable and mature, and is
probably fairly easily mergeable into Vim. One benefit of pulling
MacVim into regular Vim is: MacVim will never be behind Vim in patch
level. Also, in mainline Vim, the Carbon GUI is effectively dead.  If
mainline Vim wants an OSX GUI, it should pull in MacVim.  It works all
the way back to 10.4, and if support of even older machines is desired,
>>  the  Carbon option can be kept.
> The main reason it's a separate project is because there are different
people working on MacVim.  This way the project can progress
> independently.

It seems to me that it no longer needs to progress independently (though
at the beginning, this was the wise choice).  There are hardly ever any
changes anymore, apart from pulling in mainline Vim patches.

> I have already offered in the past to include relevant changes into core

> Vim.  It's just a matter of providing me with the patch.  Preferably
tested :-).

I'm no expert, but I think Bram would have to pull in the entire
src/MacVim directory, minus things that only make sense for a separate
MacVim (like custom icons and Sparkle updating).  Also, several files in
$VIMRUNTIME are modified, especially $VIMRUNTIME/doc.  The big configure
file has tons of differences.  And there are #IFDEF FEAT_GUI_MACVIM blocks
all over the place in /src.

This would require a heroic effort on the part of people who know what the
heck they're doing, but it sure seems better to do this once than to have
to keep doing it every N months to catch up on patchlevel.

> Preferably tested :-).

FWIW, I logged into the only remote Linux box I have access to, and cloned
the MacVim repo as-is (it's currently at 7.4.622). Configuration and
building succeeded without having to do anything preparatory, and I can
successfully use the Vim binary.  "make clean" failed because it wanted to
call `xcodebuild`, but I think it's to be expected that "configure" and
"makefile" will need some tweaking.

Lastly, IMHO this is only a good idea if certain specific MacVim-only
things are pulled in.  I'm thinking especially of MacVim's true fullscreen
mode, and the fact that one can choose whether one wants it to behave in
the old fast way or the modern slow way.  Fullscreen mode (fast version)
in MacVim is, for me, 75% of the reason to use MacVim instead of just good
old Vim in a terminal (or the X11 GUI).  The other 25% is the ability to
use the Cmd key as a modifer in the LHS of mappings.  These two things are
workflow-impacting.  There is precedent in Vim for there to be a few
special things limited to certain GUIs (such as tear-off menus, IIRC), so
I hope that this sort of thing would be accepted into Vim proper.

Charles wrote:

> Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>> Charles wrote:
>>> Is there any reason still existing why MacVim is a separate project
> from the offical Vim repo?  MacVim is stable and mature, and is
> probably fairly easily mergeable into Vim. One benefit of pulling
> MacVim into regular Vim is: MacVim will never be behind Vim in patch
> level. Also, in mainline Vim, the Carbon GUI is effectively dead.  If
> mainline Vim wants an OSX GUI, it should pull in MacVim.  It works all
> the way back to 10.4, and if support of even older machines is desired,
>>>  the  Carbon option can be kept.
>> The main reason it's a separate project is because there are different
> people working on MacVim.  This way the project can progress
>> independently.
>
> It seems to me that it no longer needs to progress independently (though
> at the beginning, this was the wise choice).  There are hardly ever any
> changes anymore, apart from pulling in mainline Vim patches.
>
>> I have already offered in the past to include relevant changes into core
>
>> Vim.  It's just a matter of providing me with the patch.  Preferably
> tested :-).
>
> I'm no expert, but I think Bram would have to pull in the entire
> src/MacVim directory, minus things that only make sense for a separate
> MacVim (like custom icons and Sparkle updating).  Also, several files in
> $VIMRUNTIME are modified, especially $VIMRUNTIME/doc.  The big configure
> file has tons of differences.  And there are #IFDEF FEAT_GUI_MACVIM blocks
> all over the place in /src.
>
> This would require a heroic effort on the part of people who know what the
> heck they're doing, but it sure seems better to do this once than to have
> to keep doing it every N months to catch up on patchlevel.
>
>> Preferably tested :-).
>
> FWIW, I logged into the only remote Linux box I have access to, and cloned
> the MacVim repo as-is (it's currently at 7.4.622). Configuration and
> building succeeded without having to do anything preparatory, and I can
> successfully use the Vim binary.  "make clean" failed because it wanted to
> call `xcodebuild`, but I think it's to be expected that "configure" and
> "makefile" will need some tweaking.

"make test" succeeds as well.

Rather than send Bram one gigantic patch, perhaps we should do this in
stages.  Maybe first just merge all the IFDEF stuff?

Charles