KDE port of vim

Fabien Meghazi-2

Hi all,

I saw the kvim project was dead.
Does someone knows if there is a living project for the port of vim under kde.
Eg: gVim but using Qt/Kde instead of Gtk/Gnome libs ?

--
Fabien Meghazi

Website: http://www.amigrave.com
Email: [hidden email]
IM: [hidden email]

Re: KDE port of vim

Tony Mechelynck

On 07/03/08 16:50, Fabien Meghazi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I saw the kvim project was dead.
> Does someone knows if there is a living project for the port of vim under kde.
> Eg: gVim but using Qt/Kde instead of Gtk/Gnome libs ?

You might try to search the web for "yzis" using your favourite search
engine but last I heard it was in a flat-EEG coma too.

However, most Gnome apps will interface correctly with the KDE window
manager (provided, of course, that you install both packages). In
particular, gvim for Gnome2 saves and restores its session transparently
when you close the KDE session and later restart it.

Economics, n.:
        Economics is the study of the value and meaning of J. K.
Galbraith ...
                -- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"

Re: KDE port of vim

Fabien Meghazi-2

> You might try to search the web for "yzis" using your favourite search
> engine but last I heard it was in a flat-EEG coma too.

I saw this but it's still incomplete. Besides, I don't understand why
they do all this work outside of the vim official branches (gui-kde).

> However, most Gnome apps will interface correctly with the KDE window
> manager (provided, of course, that you install both packages). In
> particular, gvim for Gnome2 saves and restores its session transparently
> when you close the KDE session and later restart it.

Yeah, I know gvim but the problem is that I'm allergic to gnome's
dialog windows such as file selector dialog, print dialog, ... ;-)

--
Fabien Meghazi

Website: http://www.amigrave.com
Email: [hidden email]
IM: [hidden email]

Re: KDE port of vim

Richard Hartmann

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 17:24, Fabien Meghazi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I saw this but it's still incomplete. Besides, I don't understand why
> they do all this work outside of the vim official branches (gui-kde).

yzis is dead. There is currently GSoC work going on to introduce a
modal vim-like editor kpart for Kate and that seems to be the best
bet in the forseeable future.
Apparently, the work involved in maintaining a KDE layer was way
too much. Some/most/all of the KVim people were the initial
founders of yzis, btw.

> Yeah, I know gvim but the problem is that I'm allergic to gnome's
> dialog windows such as file selector dialog, print dialog, ... ;-)

Understandably so. Plus, the largest advantage of KVim was that it
integrated seamlessly in all KDE textedit areas, giving Vim bliss
to every single application. As I said, the GSoC project is the best
we can hope for, at the moment. This will only implement a tiny
subset of Vim functionality, though. But at least the parts that are
implemented will use the same keys, names, RC files syntax etc
etc.

Richard

Re: KDE port of vim

On 03/07/08 17:24, Fabien Meghazi wrote:

>> You might try to search the web for "yzis" using your favourite search
>> engine but last I heard it was in a flat-EEG coma too.
>
> I saw this but it's still incomplete. Besides, I don't understand why
> they do all this work outside of the vim official branches (gui-kde).
>
>> However, most Gnome apps will interface correctly with the KDE window
>> manager (provided, of course, that you install both packages). In
>> particular, gvim for Gnome2 saves and restores its session transparently
>> when you close the KDE session and later restart it.
>
> Yeah, I know gvim but the problem is that I'm allergic to gnome's
> dialog windows such as file selector dialog, print dialog, ... ;-)

Vim doesn't use dialogs much. ":browse edit" maybe (and other variants
of ":browse"; but you can use netrw instead), and ":set guifont=*" -- I
think that's about all. No print dialog is used, ":hardcopy" uses
whatever you set in 'printoptions'. What concerns other programs, you
don't need a Gnome desktop to make full use of the GTK2/Gnome2 build of
gvim -- I use a KDE desktop (well, actually a KDE winmanager with 20
virtual desktops), and as I said, gvim works quite well on it, you don't
even have to close it separately before you close the KDE/X11 session,
it will "reopen itself" where you left it when you next restart X with
your KDE desktop(s) on it.

Telephone, n.:
        An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the
advantages of making a disagreeable person keep his distance.
                -- Ambrose Bierce

Re: KDE port of vim

scott-268

On Thursday 03 July 2008 10:24, Fabien Meghazi wrote:

> > You might try to search the web for "yzis" using your favourite search
> > engine but last I heard it was in a flat-EEG coma too.
>
> I saw this but it's still incomplete. Besides, I don't understand why
> they do all this work outside of the vim official branches (gui-kde).
>
> > However, most Gnome apps will interface correctly with the KDE window
> > manager (provided, of course, that you install both packages). In
> > particular, gvim for Gnome2 saves and restores its session transparently
> > when you close the KDE session and later restart it.
>
> Yeah, I know gvim but the problem is that I'm allergic to gnome's
> dialog windows such as file selector dialog, print dialog, ... ;-)

you can build a gnome free instance of vim by simply leaving

    export CONF_OPT_GUI='--enable-gnome-check'

OUT of your build environment

sc

Re: KDE port of vim

Tony Mechelynck

On 05/07/08 03:50, sc wrote:

> On Thursday 03 July 2008 10:24, Fabien Meghazi wrote:
>>> You might try to search the web for "yzis" using your favourite search
>>> engine but last I heard it was in a flat-EEG coma too.
>> I saw this but it's still incomplete. Besides, I don't understand why
>> they do all this work outside of the vim official branches (gui-kde).
>>
>>> However, most Gnome apps will interface correctly with the KDE window
>>> manager (provided, of course, that you install both packages). In
>>> particular, gvim for Gnome2 saves and restores its session transparently
>>> when you close the KDE session and later restart it.
>> Yeah, I know gvim but the problem is that I'm allergic to gnome's
>> dialog windows such as file selector dialog, print dialog, ... ;-)
>
> you can build a gnome free instance of vim by simply leaving
>
>      export CONF_OPT_GUI='--enable-gnome-check'
>
> OUT of your build environment
>
> sc

Of course, without Gnome support, gvim won't save its session when you
close the KDE window manager... Life is made of choices.

Mohandas K. Gandhi often changed his mind publicly.  An aide once asked
him how he could so freely contradict this week what he had said just
last week.  The great man replied that it was because this week he knew
better.

Re: KDE port of vim

Richard Hartmann

It seems there has been some action within yzis, lately.

Here's to hoping! :)