Quantcast

Key combination to go one word back/forward in all modes on macbook air

Key combination to go one word back/forward in all modes on macbook air

Nunzio Losacco
Hi all,

I've searched thoroughly for a solution to the following problem but I could not find a straightforward way to actually solve it.

I'm using Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 on a MacBook Air 4.2.
In the terminal (Terminal.app) I can easily go one word forward/backward using the key combo Alt+Right/Left arrow.
This does not work in vim. Alt+Left actually goes one word backward but switches to command mode if I'm in insert mode.
Alt+Right just switches from insert to command but does not seem to have any other effect.

Other key combos i.e.: Fn+Up/Down=one page up/down; Fn+Left/Right = go to beginning/end of the line, work correctly both in insert and command mode.

Is there an easy way to solve this? BTW, On my linux workstation I can easily step through words both in the terminal and in vim with Ctrl+Left/Right.

Thank you in advance for your help,

w.

Re: Key combination to go one word back/forward in all modes on macbook air

john mckenzie-3

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Nunzio Losacco <[hidden email]> wrote:

w.

^^ I think that is actually the key you are looking for -- "w" ;-)

Re: Key combination to go one word back/forward in all modes on macbook air

Niels Kobschaetzki
On 12.11.2012, at 16:45, john mckenzie <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Nunzio Losacco <[hidden email]> wrote:

w.

^^ I think that is actually the key you are looking for -- "w" ;-)

Don't forget "b" ^^

Niels

Re: Key combination to go one word back/forward in all modes on macbook air

Nunzio Losacco
Hey guys, although I'm a "newbie forever" I perfectly know "w" and "b" go one word forth/back ;-)

But...
1) I'm looking for arrow keys combos (as ctrl+right/left on my linux box) being the same as in the terminal (namely alt+right/left on OSX)
2) "w" and "b" are for "command mode", I want to move the cursor through words also in "insert mode", exactly as I do in the terminal, instead of having the odd behaviour I described in my first post.

Re: Key combination to go one word back/forward in all modes on macbook air

john mckenzie-3
Option-left and right arrow work great for this in MacVim on *my* macs (including Lion). I am left wondering if there is some peculiarity to your account. Could you try another Mac or at least create a second account and see if it happens then?

On Nov 12, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Nunzio Losacco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey guys, although I'm a "newbie forever" I perfectly know "w" and "b" go one
> word forth/back ;-)
>
> But...
> 1) I'm looking for arrow keys combos (as ctrl+right/left on my linux box)
> being the same as in the terminal (namely alt+right/left on OSX)
> 2) "w" and "b" are for "command mode", I want to move the cursor through
> words also in "insert mode", exactly as I do in the terminal, instead of
> having the odd behaviour I described in my first post.

Re: Key combination to go one word back/forward in all modes on macbook air

Nunzio Losacco
New account created. I was doubting as well, cause I changed some keyboard settings in Terminal in order to get pgup/pgdown working in vi (fn+up/down I think).
However Option-left/right arrow not working for the new user either.

Do you have any more suggestions?

2012/11/12 john mckenzie-3 [via VIM] <[hidden email]>
Option-left and right arrow work great for this in MacVim on *my* macs (including Lion). I am left wondering if there is some peculiarity to your account. Could you try another Mac or at least create a second account and see if it happens then?

On Nov 12, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Nunzio Losacco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey guys, although I'm a "newbie forever" I perfectly know "w" and "b" go one
> word forth/back ;-)
>
> But...
> 1) I'm looking for arrow keys combos (as ctrl+right/left on my linux box)
> being the same as in the terminal (namely alt+right/left on OSX)
> 2) "w" and "b" are for "command mode", I want to move the cursor through
> words also in "insert mode", exactly as I do in the terminal, instead of
> having the odd behaviour I described in my first post.

NAML

Re: Key combination to go one word back/forward in all modes on macbook air

raf-6
Nunzio Losacco wrote:

> New account created. I was doubting as well, cause I changed some keyboard
> settings in Terminal in order to get pgup/pgdown working in vi (fn+up/down
> I think).
> However Option-left/right arrow not working for the new user either.
>
> Do you have any more suggestions?

shift-left/right works for me everywhere.

Nunzio Losacco wrote:

> New account created. I was doubting as well, cause I changed some keyboard
> settings in Terminal in order to get pgup/pgdown working in vi (fn+up/down
> I think).
> However Option-left/right arrow not working for the new user either.
>
> Do you have any more suggestions?

:help word-motions

shows that either control or shift left/right move a word at a time.