Keyboard characters mess up every once in a while

Keyboard characters mess up every once in a while

Bryce Orgill
Today I had an event happen with my keyboard strokes that's happened various times in the past and I want to stop it from happening.  What happens is, I will be performing some normal text editing and all of a sudden I'll notice that some of the keyboard characters that I type become switched with others.  For example when I hit the number buttons at the top of my keyboard, they would output symbols in the GVIM window instead of their corresponding number character.  Thus, something I did screwed up the mapping.  When I go to another application, the keystrokes are correct.  If I'm able to save the document and re-open it, the keystrokes are back to normal.  This doesn't happen often, but does every few weeks.  Something I do, or perhaps some Vim bug is causing this.  In fact, it just messed up again just now.  Here is what happens when I type something and what actually gets displayed.  See attached for diff look.  You'll see the x and y characters get switched and the numbers and symbols get switched.  I can't pinpoint which initial key event that triggers this.

Character typed:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
123456
!@#$%^&*()

Character displayed:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxzy
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXZY
+EŠCRŽ
1234567890

Thanks,
Bryce

IMG_0016.jpg (18K) Download Attachment

Keyboard characters mess up every once in a while

Ben Fritz
Maybe you enabled a keymap somehow? Does CTRL+6 in insert mode bring things mack to normal?