Left-align after separator on status line?

Left-align after separator on status line?

Nate
Currently, I have the status line displaying Vim's
current working directory.

I like having the cwd on the right side of the status line.

I would like to align the cwd as far left to the separator
as possible, so that it doesn't shift around when I navigate
from column 1 to column 10, (likewise row 1 to row 10).

I've tried many variations of the sprintf syntax, and can't get
the current working directory not to shift around depending on the
line # and col # that I'm on.

Any ideas?

function! MyStatusLine()
    let l:statline = '%='                     "left/right separator
    let l:statline = l:statline . '%-20{" | " . fnamemodify(getcwd(),
":t") . " | "}'
    let l:statline = l:statline . '%l, %v of %L'      "cursor line/total lines
    return l:statline
endfunction

" Status Line
set laststatus=2
set statusline=%!MyStatusLine()

Thanks,
--Nate

Re: Left-align after separator on status line?

Gary Johnson-4
On 2010-04-30, Nathan Neff wrote:

> Currently, I have the status line displaying Vim's
> current working directory.
>
> I like having the cwd on the right side of the status line.
>
> I would like to align the cwd as far left to the separator
> as possible, so that it doesn't shift around when I navigate
> from column 1 to column 10, (likewise row 1 to row 10).
>
> I've tried many variations of the sprintf syntax, and can't get
> the current working directory not to shift around depending on the
> line # and col # that I'm on.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> function! MyStatusLine()
>     let l:statline = '%='                     "left/right separator
>     let l:statline = l:statline . '%-20{" | " . fnamemodify(getcwd(),
> ":t") . " | "}'
>     let l:statline = l:statline . '%l, %v of %L'      "cursor line/total lines
>     return l:statline
> endfunction
>
> " Status Line
> set laststatus=2
> set statusline=%!MyStatusLine()

It's been a while since I wrote this, so I don't remember off-hand
what all the format specifiers mean, but this 'statusline' looks
like the default 'statusline' with 'ruler' set and with the addition
of the name of the current function displayed at the right side of
the status line, just left of the line and column numbers.  The
function name--the return value of TagName()--does not shift when
the line and column numbers change.  You should be able to replace
TagName() with a function that returns the cwd and get the behavior
you want.

    let &statusline='%<%f %(%h%m%r %)%=%{TagName()} %-15.15(%l,%c%V%)%P'

Regards,
Gary

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Gary Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2010-04-30, Nathan Neff wrote:
>> Currently, I have the status line displaying Vim's
>> current working directory.
>>
>> I like having the cwd on the right side of the status line.
>>
>> I would like to align the cwd as far left to the separator
>> as possible, so that it doesn't shift around when I navigate
>> from column 1 to column 10, (likewise row 1 to row 10).
>>
>> I've tried many variations of the sprintf syntax, and can't get
>> the current working directory not to shift around depending on the
>> line # and col # that I'm on.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> function! MyStatusLine()
>>     let l:statline = '%='                     "left/right separator
>>     let l:statline = l:statline . '%-20{" | " . fnamemodify(getcwd(),
>> ":t") . " | "}'
>>     let l:statline = l:statline . '%l, %v of %L'      "cursor line/total lines
>>     return l:statline
>> endfunction
>>
>> " Status Line
>> set laststatus=2
>> set statusline=%!MyStatusLine()
>
> It's been a while since I wrote this, so I don't remember off-hand
> what all the format specifiers mean, but this 'statusline' looks
> like the default 'statusline' with 'ruler' set and with the addition
> of the name of the current function displayed at the right side of
> the status line, just left of the line and column numbers.  The
> function name--the return value of TagName()--does not shift when
> the line and column numbers change.  You should be able to replace
> TagName() with a function that returns the cwd and get the behavior
> you want.
>
>    let &statusline='%<%f %(%h%m%r %)%=%{TagName()} %-15.15(%l,%c%V%)%P'
>
> Regards,
> Gary

Thank you very much -- this works exactly like I want!

The 'foo' in my status bar stays in the same column
in both the situations below:

foo line 100 column 200
foo line 1 column 1

Thanks again,