Quantcast

Left margin in gVim

Mikhail V
Hello all,

there was an old thread about left margin in VIM.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/muxfGRp86zE/VokJ7LJqIIIJ

So the proposal was supposed to help with setting up a left margin in VIM
and here are two related discussions on Stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2531904/how-do-i-increase-the-spacing-of-the-line-number-margin-in-vim
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7893390/how-to-change-the-left-margin-in-gvim

In original thread Christian Brabandt made a patch for it and I am
not sure whether the feature was supposed to be added or not in
future releases. I have read Vim 8 new features documents but
seems that there is nothing about it? (I still use version 7.4)
Probably there is something added that adresses this or planned?

In two words, the issue description:
If I show line numbers, the text in main window is very close
to the numbers, namely only 1 char gap. The idea was to add
a possibility to increase the gap in some way, and it was
(still is?) impossible to do.

Regards
Mikhail

Re: Left margin in gVim

Christian Brabandt
Hi Mikhail!

On Sa, 08 Apr 2017, Mikhail V wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> there was an old thread about left margin in VIM.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/muxfGRp86zE/VokJ7LJqIIIJ
>
> So the proposal was supposed to help with setting up a left margin in VIM
> and here are two related discussions on Stackoverflow:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2531904/how-do-i-increase-the-spacing-of-the-line-number-margin-in-vim
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7893390/how-to-change-the-left-margin-in-gvim
>
> In original thread Christian Brabandt made a patch for it and I am
> not sure whether the feature was supposed to be added or not in
> future releases. I have read Vim 8 new features documents but
> seems that there is nothing about it? (I still use version 7.4)
> Probably there is something added that adresses this or planned?
>
> In two words, the issue description:
> If I show line numbers, the text in main window is very close
> to the numbers, namely only 1 char gap. The idea was to add
> a possibility to increase the gap in some way, and it was
> (still is?) impossible to do.

I just updated the patch against current head. Getting positive feedback
might help getting this feature included. So please test.

Best,
Christian
--
Selig sind die Schläfrigen - denn sie werden bald einnicken.

Re: Left margin in gVim

Mikhail V
On Monday, 10 April 2017 13:08:26 UTC+2, Christian Brabandt  wrote:

> Hi Mikhail!
>
> On Sa, 08 Apr 2017, Mikhail V wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > there was an old thread about left margin in VIM.
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/muxfGRp86zE/VokJ7LJqIIIJ
> >
> > So the proposal was supposed to help with setting up a left margin in VIM
> > and here are two related discussions on Stackoverflow:
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2531904/how-do-i-increase-the-spacing-of-the-line-number-margin-in-vim
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7893390/how-to-change-the-left-margin-in-gvim
> >
> > In original thread Christian Brabandt made a patch for it and I am
> > not sure whether the feature was supposed to be added or not in
> > future releases. I have read Vim 8 new features documents but
> > seems that there is nothing about it? (I still use version 7.4)
> > Probably there is something added that adresses this or planned?
> >
> > In two words, the issue description:
> > If I show line numbers, the text in main window is very close
> > to the numbers, namely only 1 char gap. The idea was to add
> > a possibility to increase the gap in some way, and it was
> > (still is?) impossible to do.
>
> I just updated the patch against current head. Getting positive feedback
> might help getting this feature included. So please test.

Thanks for reply,
I am a bit confused though, I am not so familiar with patching
and last time I've tested your patch I applied a diff file to C sources
and have compiled from source. I don't remember exactly what steps
this involved.

Is there some step-by step explanation how to do it?
and which sources I would use in this case, and which patch.

Mikhail

Re: Left margin in gVim

Christian Brabandt
Hi Mikhail!

On Mo, 10 Apr 2017, Mikhail V wrote:

> On Monday, 10 April 2017 13:08:26 UTC+2, Christian Brabandt  wrote:
> > Hi Mikhail!
> >
> > On Sa, 08 Apr 2017, Mikhail V wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > there was an old thread about left margin in VIM.
> > > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/muxfGRp86zE/VokJ7LJqIIIJ
> > >
> > > So the proposal was supposed to help with setting up a left margin in VIM
> > > and here are two related discussions on Stackoverflow:
> > > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2531904/how-do-i-increase-the-spacing-of-the-line-number-margin-in-vim
> > > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7893390/how-to-change-the-left-margin-in-gvim
> > >
> > > In original thread Christian Brabandt made a patch for it and I am
> > > not sure whether the feature was supposed to be added or not in
> > > future releases. I have read Vim 8 new features documents but
> > > seems that there is nothing about it? (I still use version 7.4)
> > > Probably there is something added that adresses this or planned?
> > >
> > > In two words, the issue description:
> > > If I show line numbers, the text in main window is very close
> > > to the numbers, namely only 1 char gap. The idea was to add
> > > a possibility to increase the gap in some way, and it was
> > > (still is?) impossible to do.
> >
> > I just updated the patch against current head. Getting positive feedback
> > might help getting this feature included. So please test.
> >

> Thanks for reply,
> I am a bit confused though, I am not so familiar with patching
> and last time I've tested your patch I applied a diff file to C sources
> and have compiled from source. I don't remember exactly what steps
> this involved.
>
> Is there some step-by step explanation how to do it?
> and which sources I would use in this case, and which patch.

Clone the vim/vim repository, download the patch, run git apply
normal_text_shift

Should apply cleanly apart from a whitespace warning. If you want to
keep this patch, while updating your repository, you need to commit it
(git com -a)

Run: configure, make && make install as usual.

Best,
Christian
--
Nullen werden deshalb so wichtig genommen, weil schon eine einzige
Schwierigkeiten verzehnfachen kann.

Re: Left margin in gVim

Mikhail V
On Monday, 10 April 2017 15:35:02 UTC+2, Christian Brabandt  wrote:

> Hi Mikhail!
>
> On Mo, 10 Apr 2017, Mikhail V wrote:
>
> > On Monday, 10 April 2017 13:08:26 UTC+2, Christian Brabandt  wrote:
> > > Hi Mikhail!

> > > I just updated the patch against current head. Getting positive feedback
> > > might help getting this feature included. So please test.
> > >

> > Thanks for reply,
> > I am a bit confused though, I am not so familiar with patching
> > and last time I've tested your patch I applied a diff file to C sources
> > and have compiled from source. I don't remember exactly what steps
> > this involved.
> >
> > Is there some step-by step explanation how to do it?
> > and which sources I would use in this case, and which patch.
>
> Clone the vim/vim repository, download the patch, run git apply
> normal_text_shift
>
> Should apply cleanly apart from a whitespace warning. If you want to
> keep this patch, while updating your repository, you need to commit it
> (git com -a)
>
> Run: configure, make && make install as usual.
>
> Best,
> Christian

Thank you Christian!

So what I have:
Compiled and tested on Windows 7
MSVC 2008 Express, Windows SDK 7.0

Compiled with patch applied.

1. Tested with:
    set leftmargin=1 (2,3....)

Works correct and shows correct colors, with and without line wrapping.
This is so good! Unindented text looks now sooo much better.
Even 1 char margin makes a big difference.
I make line numbers more contrast and this looks good
with any colors.

One problem though: there is some lag when moving cursor through
the document. E.g. press and hold the down arrow key  for
several seconds - after releasing the key, cursor keeps moving
several lines more.
In the non-patched version I cannot notice this lag at all.
This gets more severe with wrap on.

2. Tested with
    set leftmargin=0

 - If wrap is on: scrolling up breaks rendering
 - Selection does not highlight the seletion area

So with 0 margin something is going wrong.

So it is, I've played with it several hours and
have not noticed other things yet.

Regards
Mikhail