License

Doug Kearns
Does anyone have any objections to releasing these files under of the
Vim license rather than the GPL?

As Nikolai predicted Bram would prefer it.

I don't actually remember the reason this occurred...

Thanks,
Doug

Re: License

Hugh Sasse
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Doug Kearns wrote:

> Does anyone have any objections to releasing these files under of the
> Vim license rather than the GPL?

Not sure about "rather than" -- "both" makes sense, but if something's
GPL'd doesn't it get the RMS::Freedom meme tag that means it can't
be un-GPL'd?    [An infinite number of licence lawyers with an
infinite number of keyboards....wouldn't help]

> As Nikolai predicted Bram would prefer it.
>
> I don't actually remember the reason this occurred...
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

        Hugh

Re: License

Gavin Sinclair
No beef from me!

On 10/13/05, Doug Kearns <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone have any objections to releasing these files under of the
> Vim license rather than the GPL?
>
> As Nikolai predicted Bram would prefer it.
>
> I don't actually remember the reason this occurred...
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

Re: License

Tim Hammerquist
Doug Kearns wrote:
> Does anyone have any objections to releasing these files under
> of the Vim license rather than the GPL?
>
> As Nikolai predicted Bram would prefer it.
>
> I don't actually remember the reason this occurred...

No qualms here.  If possible, how about releasing as *both*?  As
in, either/or?

Tim

Re: License

Nikolai Weibull-5
Tim Hammerquist wrote:

> Doug Kearns wrote:

> > Does anyone have any objections to releasing these files under
> > of the Vim license rather than the GPL?

No.  All I require is that my name be mentioned somewhere, and it
already is so I’m cool.

> > As Nikolai predicted Bram would prefer it.

The name people will be referring to in 300 years time will not be
Nostradamus but Weibullus.

> > I don't actually remember the reason this occurred...

> No qualms here.  If possible, how about releasing as *both*?  As
> in, either/or?

Why does it matter?  I have a hard time seeing how the miniscule
differences between the GPL and the Vim charityware licenses affect us.
I also have a hard time seeing anyone ripping us off here in any way
that matters.  I’m not saying that licenses don’t matter, but it’s not
like somebody’s going to be using our code in an embedded system
somewhere and not telling us about it,
        nikolai

Re: License

Tim Hammerquist
Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> > If possible, how about releasing as *both*?  As in,
> > either/or?
>
> Why does it matter?  I have a hard time seeing how the
> miniscule differences between the GPL and the Vim charityware
> licenses affect us.  I also have a hard time seeing anyone
> ripping us off here in any way that matters.  I???m not saying
> that licenses don???t matter, but it???s not like somebody???s
> going to be using our code in an embedded system somewhere and
> not telling us about it,

Fair enough.  You seem to feel much more strongly against, than
I feel in favor, and that's enough for me.

Vim's license is fine by me.

Tim

Re: License

Nikolai Weibull-5
Tim Hammerquist wrote:

> Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> > Tim Hammerquist wrote:

> > > If possible, how about releasing as *both*?  As in, either/or?

> > Why does it matter?  I have a hard time seeing how the miniscule
> > differences between the GPL and the Vim charityware licenses affect
> > us.  I also have a hard time seeing anyone ripping us off here in
> > any way that matters.  I???m not saying that licenses don???t
> > matter, but it???s not like somebody???s going to be using our code
> > in an embedded system somewhere and not telling us about it,

> Fair enough.  You seem to feel much more strongly against, than I feel
> in favor, and that's enough for me.

Man, beyond the anger management class I should really take a course in
writing and perhaps also one in rhetoric.  I don’t care much one way or
the other, but I don’t see a reason to use GPL over Vim’s license
either.  I think that if using Vim’s license makes for a simpler
release cycle (and keeps our headers clean), then that’s the way to go.
But I don’t want to force the issue.

A lot of crap has been going on in my life lately and I guess it shows.
I really hope that none of you has come to think of me as a bit of an
asshole for lashing out on the slightest of issues.

Gavin: you’ve done a fine work and I appreciate the attention that the
vim-ruby project has gotten as a result of it.

Doug: the same goes for you.  You’ve queried me politely about issues
and made me take the time to fix some bugs in my code, without bending
my arm.  Thank you for staying cool and for the pleasant
side-discussions.

I still think that vim-ruby should have an even closer relationship to a
central Vim repository.  However, this is a big issue and is not
something that we are solely responsible for finding a solution to,
        nikolai

Re: License

Nikolai Weibull-5
Hugh Sasse wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Doug Kearns wrote:

> > Does anyone have any objections to releasing these files under of
> > the Vim license rather than the GPL?

> Not sure about "rather than" -- "both" makes sense, but if something's
> GPL'd doesn't it get the RMS::Freedom meme tag that means it can't be
> un-GPL'd?    [An infinite number of licence lawyers with an infinite
> number of keyboards....wouldn't help]

The GPL isn’t herpes.  It’s not like someone can force us to continue to
release under a given license.  We decide what freedoms we give our
users.  It’s not for them to force their freedom to freedom upon us.
This is something I only realized recently myself (and I really hope I’m
right on this point, for if I’m not then the GPL is totally botched),
        nikolai

Re: License

Tim Hammerquist
Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> > Fair enough.  You seem to feel much more strongly against,
> > than I feel in favor, and that's enough for me.
>
> Man, beyond the anger management class I should really take
> a course in writing and perhaps also one in rhetoric.  I don't
> care much one way or the other, but I don't see a reason to
> use GPL over Vim's license either.  I think that if using
> Vim's license makes for a simpler release cycle (and keeps our
> headers clean), then that's the way to go.  But I don't want
> to force the issue.

Don't worry.  I said you feel more strongly than I do, which
really doesn't take much.  I've just heard the subject come up
in other projects and thought I'd throw it out there for
discussion.  In truth, I'm much more in favor of consistency
than any sort of GPL zealotry I've seen in some groups. :)

> A lot of crap has been going on in my life lately and I guess
> it shows.

Life has a way of doing that. :)

> Doug: the same goes for you.  You've queried me politely about
> issues and made me take the time to fix some bugs in my code,
> without bending my arm.  Thank you for staying cool and for
> the pleasant side-discussions.

Dough, I wanted to add my own thanks to this, as your name is
the only one I see commiting to "my file" for the last 2 years.
I wish I could have been a more active member of the group, but
I'm glad it's grown into something better! Thanks!

Tim

Re: License

Doug Kearns
On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 10:25:16PM +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> Tim Hammerquist wrote:
>
> > Doug Kearns wrote:
>
> > > Does anyone have any objections to releasing these files under
> > > of the Vim license rather than the GPL?
>
> No.  All I require is that my name be mentioned somewhere, and it
> already is so I’m cool.

<snip>

> > No qualms here.  If possible, how about releasing as *both*?  As
> > in, either/or?

OK, thanks. BM has been updated with versions released under the Vim
License. Whether or not we want to continue using the GPL for releases
that we make in between Vim releases is a matter I'll leave up to
others...

<snip>

Regards,
Doug

Re: License

Tim Hammerquist
Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> > Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> Dough, I wanted to add my own thanks to this, as your name is
[ snippage ]

Doh!

:s/Dough/Doug/

Long day. Finally over.  Cheers!

Tim

Re: License

Gavin Sinclair
On 10/14/05, Nikolai Weibull
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> A lot of crap has been going on in my life lately and I guess it shows.
> I really hope that none of you has come to think of me as a bit of an
> asshole for lashing out on the slightest of issues.

Not an asshole, but slightly touchy in an amusing way.  The Ruby
community takes all comers :)

> Gavin: you've done a fine work and I appreciate the attention that the
> vim-ruby project has gotten as a result of it.

Well, it wasn't exactly me who created the indent/ruby.vim file, was
it? :)  BTW, I'm going to change the name of the "maintainer" in that
file to yours rather than mine, if it hasn't been changed already.  I
don't have the slightest idea how that stuff works!

And Doug's the de facto maintainer now.  I can't imagine myself
creating another release unless he gave up on it :)

> I still think that vim-ruby should have an even closer relationship to a
> central Vim repository.  However, this is a big issue and is not
> something that we are solely responsible for finding a solution to,

Well, yeah.  It really depends what Bram wants.  If we can use Vim's
CVS, great.  If we can't, I don't see what other options there are for
a "closer relationship".

Cheers,
Gavin