Locating .vim on Windows

tuxic
Hi,

On a windows PC I have "installed" vim - that is: I have
unpacked a archive downloaded from here:
https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/releases

Is there a way to ask vim (for example through vim-internal variabl)
where it exspects the equivalent of .vim (UNIX/Linux) ?

Thank you very much for any help!
Cheers!
Meino

Re: Locating .vim on Windows

Ni Va
Le dimanche 8 avril 2018 19:23:54 UTC+2, [hidden email] a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> On a windows PC I have "installed" vim - that is: I have
> unpacked a archive downloaded from here:
> https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/releases
>
> Is there a way to ask vim (for example through vim-internal variabl)
> where it exspects the equivalent of .vim (UNIX/Linux) ?
>
> Thank you very much for any help!
> Cheers!
> Meino
%userprofile% in shellcmd

from within vim try:

:echo $userprofile/.vim

Re: Locating .vim on Windows

Marvin Renich
* [hidden email] <[hidden email]> [180408 13:23]:
> On a windows PC I have "installed" vim - that is: I have
> unpacked a archive downloaded from here:
> https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/releases
>
> Is there a way to ask vim (for example through vim-internal variabl)
> where it exspects the equivalent of .vim (UNIX/Linux) ?

:help vimrc

will give a detailed explanation of the search order.  Note that the
documentation says that on Windows, _vimrc is used.  However, there is
one sentence that says on Windows it will check for both _vimrc and
.vimrc.

...Marvin

Re: Locating .vim on Windows

Gary Johnson-4
On 2018-04-08, Meino wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On a windows PC I have "installed" vim - that is: I have
> unpacked a archive downloaded from here:
> https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/releases
>
> Is there a way to ask vim (for example through vim-internal variabl)
> where it exspects the equivalent of .vim (UNIX/Linux) ?

The Windows equivalent of the .vim directory is vimfiles.  This will
usually (always?) be $HOME/vimfiles.  See

    :help vimrc

If the $HOME environment variable doesn't already exist, Vim will
create it from the expansion of $HOMEDRIVE$HOMEPATH or $USERPROFILE.
See

    help $HOME-windows

Regards,
Gary