Lose highlighting when Index.wiki is loaded from Dropbox

Lose highlighting when Index.wiki is loaded from Dropbox

Eric Weir

I have put my Vim files, including my Vimwiki files, in a Dropbox folder. I would like to be able to access them from both MacOS (MacVim) and iOS (iVim). However, when I open the Vimwiki index file (“index.wiki”) in either app the highlighting of links that enables navigation among Vimwiki files is lost. What happened? How do I restore it?

Thanks
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
[hidden email]

"Imagining the other is a powerful antidote to fanaticism and hatred."

- Amos Oz

Re: Lose highlighting when Index.wiki is loaded from Dropbox

Ryan-2
Hi Eric,

I too use vimwiki located in a grive folder, with no issues.  In the hope it's some help, below, are the only settings I seem to have in my .vimrc relating to vimwiki.

Kind regards,

Ryan

Enter code here...
let g
:vimwiki_list = [{

\ 'path': '$HOME/google-drive/vimwiki',

\ 'template_path': '$HOME/google-drive/vimwiki/templates',

\ 'template_default': 'default',

\ 'template_ext': '.html'}]

On Saturday, 21 March 2020 16:33:51 UTC, Eric Weir wrote:

I have put my Vim files, including my Vimwiki files, in a Dropbox folder. I would like to be able to access them from both MacOS (MacVim) and iOS (iVim). However, when I open the Vimwiki index file (“index.wiki”) in either app the highlighting of links that enables navigation among Vimwiki files is lost. What happened? How do I restore it?

Thanks
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA

"Imagining the other is a powerful antidote to fanaticism and hatred."

- Amos Oz

Re: Lose highlighting when Index.wiki is loaded from Dropbox

Eric Weir-2

Found this in my sent mailbox. Sent March 22nd. Don’t know why it hasn’t appeared in the web list. FWIW, here it is.

> On Mar 22, 2020, at 8:15 AM, Ryan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> I too use vimwiki located in a grive folder, with no issues.  In the hope it's some help, below, are the only settings I seem to have in my .vimrc relating to vimwiki.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Ryan
>
> Enter code here...
> let g:vimwiki_list = [{
> \ 'path': '$HOME/google-drive/vimwiki',
> \ 'template_path': '$HOME/google-drive/vimwiki/templates',
> \ 'template_default': 'default',
> \ 'template_ext': '.html’}

Thanks, Ryan. So, if I substitute the path-related info for my Dropbox folder it might work?

Do I need the lines related to “template”? WIAI, what do they do?

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
[hidden email]

"Imagining the other is a powerful antidote to fanaticism and hatred."

- Amos Oz

Re: Lose highlighting when Index.wiki is loaded from Dropbox

Eric Weir-3
On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 8:15:49 AM UTC-4, Ryan wrote:
Hi Eric,

I too use vimwiki located in a grive folder, with no issues.  In the hope it's some help, below, are the only settings I seem to have in my .vimrc relating to vimwiki.

Kind regards,

Ryan

Enter code here...
let g
:vimwiki_list = [{

\ 'path': '$HOME/google-drive/vimwiki',

\ 'template_path': '$HOME/google-drive/vimwiki/templates',

\ 'template_default': 'default',

\ 'template_ext': '.html'}]

Still looking for help on this, Ryan. It occurred to me that the path setting in the two .vimrcs, for MacVim and for iVim, might be the problem. On checking I see that my vimwiki settings are identical in both .vimrcs.

I don't remember why I specified the setting the way I did--it was done quite a while ago and I'm just coming back to Vim after several years absence--or where the suggestion of that specification came from--I am a relative Vim novice, heavily dependent on suggestions from more competent users. Here is the part of my .vimrc for vimwiki:

" ---------------------------------------------- vimwiki
"restrict vimwiki operation to only those paths listed in g:vimwiki_list.
let g:vimwiki_global_ext = 0

"set vimwiki syntax to markdown
let g:vimwiki_list = [{'path': '~/vimwiki/', 'syntax': 'markdown'}]

"add wiki as an extent recognized as a markdown file
autocmd BufRead,BufNewFile *.wiki :set ft=markdown

"enable vimwiki folding
let g:vimwiki_folding=1

"convert vimwiki headers to markdown headers
" symmetric: '== title ==' --> asymmetric '## title' for any level of header
nnoremap <Leader>be :%s@^\(\s*\)\(=\+\)\s\+\(.*\)\s\+\2\%(\s*\)$@\=submatch(1).

Though the path setting is the same in both .vimrcs, it may be that it is the setting that's causing the problem. I wonder if (1) anyone could explain what the specification I have does (2) judge whether it is what's causing highlighting not to work, (3) suggest parameters of an alternative specification giving that my vimwiki file are in a Dropbox folder.

Thanks,

Eric Weir