Quantcast

MacVim & Vim difference?

MMak
Hi, I am new to this list.

But i have something in puzzle, that is:
"Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim is running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task as it do like in Windows and Linux?
"

I am reading the source code of MacVim, and the above questions are up to me while reading.

--
Pitt Mak

Re: MacVim & Vim difference?

Björn Winckler
On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim is
> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task as
> it do like in Windows and Linux?

Take a look at

https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README

It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
about the layout of the source code.

Björn

Re: MacVim & Vim difference?

MMak
Björn Winckler wrote
On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim is
> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task as
> it do like in Windows and Linux?

Take a look at

https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README

It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
about the layout of the source code.

Björn

Björn Winckler wrote
On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim is
> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task as
> it do like in Windows and Linux?

Take a look at

https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README

It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
about the layout of the source code.

Björn

Björn Winckler wrote
On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim is
> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task as
> it do like in Windows and Linux?

Take a look at

https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README

It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
about the layout of the source code.

Björn

Thanks, I am reading it, it seems helpful to me!

Re: MacVim & Vim difference?

MMak
How can MacVim communicate with Vim on Mac OS X?

Re: MacVim & Vim difference?

MMak
Björn Winckler wrote
On 1 January 2012 10:52, Pitt Mak wrote:
> "Does MacVim executable act as a front-end, and Vim executable act as the
> back-end? Is that ture to say MacVim is response to do something like UI
> stuffs, and Vim is where really core functionality lays in? When MacVim is
> running, will MacVim lunch Vim as a helper to do the cross-platform task as
> it do like in Windows and Linux?

Take a look at

https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/blob/master/src/MacVim/README

It describes the overall design of MacVim and also says something
about the layout of the source code.

Björn

Are you the author of MacVim, awesome! Well done.

Re: MacVim & Vim difference?

Eric Weir

On Jan 1, 2012, at 5:49 AM, MMak wrote:

> How can MacVim communicate with Vim on Mac OS X?

I thought it *was* Vim on Mac OS X--unless you're running some other Vim on Mac OS X.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA
[hidden email]

"A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult
than it is for other people."

- Thomas Mann