MacVim and Syntastic

Blake Sweeney
Hi,

I'm getting some strange behavior with MacVim and Syntastic. When Syntastic
finds an error it puts a mark in the sign column, however, once I fix the error
the mark in the sign column is not removed. I've tried this in just vim and I
don't get this behavior with the same vimrc. My MacVim is:

> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Jun  4 2013 10:01:53)
> MacOS X (unix) version
> Included patches: 1-754
> Compiled by Homebrew
> Huge version with MacVim GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):

While my normal vim is:

> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Apr  9 2013 13:30:35)
> MacOS X (unix) version
> Included patches: 1-884
> Compiled by [hidden email]
> Huge version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,
Blake

Re: MacVim and Syntastic

Björn Winckler
On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Blake Sweeney wrote:

> I'm getting some strange behavior with MacVim and Syntastic. When Syntastic
> finds an error it puts a mark in the sign column, however, once I fix the error
> the mark in the sign column is not removed. I've tried this in just vim and I
> don't get this behavior with the same vimrc. My MacVim is:
>
>> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Jun  4 2013 10:01:53)
>> MacOS X (unix) version
>> Included patches: 1-754
>> Compiled by Homebrew
>> Huge version with MacVim GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
>
> While my normal vim is:
>
>> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Apr  9 2013 13:30:35)
>> MacOS X (unix) version
>> Included patches: 1-884
>> Compiled by [hidden email]
>> Huge version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

It sounds a bit like it could be a bug in MacVim's implementation of
the signs feature, but I don't ever use this myself so haven't noticed
any problems.

Can you create a minimal set of step-by-step instructions on how to
reproduce (preferably using only Syntastic and Vim)?  Attach a file if
necessary.

Thanks,
Björn

Re: MacVim and Syntastic

Blake Sweeney
On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 09:33:28PM +0200, björn wrote:
> It sounds a bit like it could be a bug in MacVim's implementation of
> the signs feature, but I don't ever use this myself so haven't noticed
> any problems.
>
> Can you create a minimal set of step-by-step instructions on how to
> reproduce (preferably using only Syntastic and Vim)?  Attach a file if
> necessary.

The vimrc below causes the problem for me:

" Bad setup.
filetype off

set rtp+=~/.vim/bundle/vundle/

call vundle#rc()

Bundle 'gmarik/vundle'
Bundle 'scrooloose/syntastic'

" Comment out below to remove problem with signs.
let g:syntastic_auto_loc_list=1

In addition, syntastic has an option to set the sign used and this doesn't seem
to work in this case either. What happens is the sign I set will briefly appear
and then it is replaced by the default one from syntastic. This can be
demostrated by adding the follow line:

let g:syntastic_warning_symbol='⚠'

As the comment indicates commenting out the 'let g:syntastic_auto_loc_list=1'
line hides all the problems.

Thanks,
Blake

Re: MacVim and Syntastic

Björn Winckler
On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM, Blake Sweeney wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 09:33:28PM +0200, björn wrote:
>> It sounds a bit like it could be a bug in MacVim's implementation of
>> the signs feature, but I don't ever use this myself so haven't noticed
>> any problems.
>>
>> Can you create a minimal set of step-by-step instructions on how to
>> reproduce (preferably using only Syntastic and Vim)?  Attach a file if
>> necessary.
>
> The vimrc below causes the problem for me:
>
> " Bad setup.
> filetype off
>
> set rtp+=~/.vim/bundle/vundle/
>
> call vundle#rc()
>
> Bundle 'gmarik/vundle'
> Bundle 'scrooloose/syntastic'
>
> " Comment out below to remove problem with signs.
> let g:syntastic_auto_loc_list=1
>
> In addition, syntastic has an option to set the sign used and this doesn't seem
> to work in this case either. What happens is the sign I set will briefly appear
> and then it is replaced by the default one from syntastic. This can be
> demostrated by adding the follow line:
>
> let g:syntastic_warning_symbol='⚠'
>
> As the comment indicates commenting out the 'let g:syntastic_auto_loc_list=1'
> line hides all the problems.

Thanks for the info.  However, using your .vimrc (minus the vundle
stuff, that surely cannot be required to reproduce?) does not do
anything -- you'll have to provide me with a file that causes
syntastic to show a mark (and please make sure there are no
dependencies on external programs such as compilers which are not
shipped with Xcode).

This is starting to sound like a plugin problem (based on the fact
that the problem goes away when you remove the "let g:synt..." line),
but if you provide *all* steps needed to reproduce I'll still try to
take a look.  Have you reported it to the plugin authors?  They may be
better able to help.

Björn