MacVim and zero-link

Björn Winckler
Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to those of you who compile MacVim yourselves.  There is an option called "zero-link" in Xcode which has caused me no end of confusion and I figured out today that zero-link is to blame.

Here's an example of one of the problems it causes:  Say you have compiled (a Debug version of) MacVim.app and put it inside /Applications.  Now you are using /Applications/MacVim.app to edit some of the MacVim source code and then build it in Xcode (again, using Debug).  For the sake of the argument, suppose you are like me and just introduced a massive bug that makes your newly compiled MacVim.app unusable.  Frustrated you go to bed and refuse to work any more on it for the day.  Next morning you start your computer, open up /Applications/MacVim.app only to find that it also is unusable.  Thank you zero-link.  What has happend is that /Applications/MacVim.app is actually using the (broken) executable in your build/Debug folder.

Yes, this is very annoying, and yes, I have now disabled zero-link in MacVim.xcodeproj.  Just thought I'd share this wonderful piece of information.  (Note that the scenario outlined above will happen with any project you create with Xcode...zero-link is enabled by default.)

/Björn

Re: MacVim and zero-link

Nico Weber-3

Hi,

> Yes, this is very annoying, and yes, I have now disabled zero-link
> in MacVim.xcodeproj.  Just thought I'd share this wonderful piece
> of information.  (Note that the scenario outlined above will happen
> with any project you create with Xcode...zero-link is enabled by
> default.)

You're not alone with this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=zerolink (hits 3, 4, 5 in particular)

;-)