MacVim.app - snapshot 21

12

MacVim.app - snapshot 21

Björn Winckler

Hi,

I have uploaded a new snapshot of MacVim.app so grab the latest
version by choosing "Check for Updates..." on the MacVim menu.  Let me
know how the automatic updating goes; I tried it and it worked fine
for me.

This update is sort of minor, check the Appcast for the changes.

The main reason why I released another snapshot now is because my Mac
is dying.  I can use it for simpler tasks but it crashes regularly so
serious programming is out of the question.  Unfortunately this means
there will be no updates to MacVim until I can get a new Mac.
Hopefully this won't be more than a couple of weeks but I can't
promise anything (because I simply cannot afford to just go and buy
one straight away).

I will still be reading the mailing list as usual so please keep
sending bug reports and feature requests...I will then address those
as soon as I can (and I will keep on working on MacVim...don't worry
about that!).

By the way; for those who were hoping for perl and ruby support...it
is not in this snapshot.  I managed to get perl support to work by
using the libraries Ben sent me (ruby was still refusing).
Unfortunately then my Mac did a software update and the universal
libraries were overwritten, so I decided to skip perl+ruby and include
those in the next snapshot instead (which will be built on an Intel
Mac).

Best wishes,
Björn

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21

Nico Weber-3

Sorry to hear about your mac.

Anyways, after getting the update and restarting MacVim again, I get "you must exec" or something errors (posting from another computer, can't copy paste) and all my apps were freezed. Might be a coincidence, but I don't think so.

I'd advise to pull the update from the appcast asap and put a big "caution, might be buggy" label on the manual download. More details if I'm able to debug this.

Nico

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21

Jim Tittsler

On Feb 12, 2008, at 10:57, Nicolas Weber wrote:

> Anyways, after getting the update and restarting MacVim again, I
> get "you must exec" or something errors (posting from another
> computer, can't copy paste) and all my apps were freezed. Might be
> a coincidence, but I don't think so.

FWIW I updated before I saw your warning, and snapshot 21 seems to be
working for me.  (OS X 10.4.11 on intel)

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21

Nico Weber-3

> Anyways, after getting the update and restarting MacVim again, I get "you must exec" or something errors (posting from another computer, can't copy paste) and all my apps were freezed. Might be a coincidence, but I don't think so.
>
> I'd advise to pull the update from the appcast asap and put a big "caution, might be buggy" label on the manual download.

After the update, running `mvim` reproducibly kills my computer (100%
cpu, even after I kill all MacVim and Vim tasks), it looks like vim
forks infinitly often. I'll try to debug that tomorrow (likely related
to my forking code; you asked to move the fork check to the beginning
if vim's main anyways, so I'll try that first, it'll probably fix it).

Nico

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21

Nico Weber-3

> FWIW I updated before I saw your warning, and snapshot 21 seems to be
> working for me.  (OS X 10.4.11 on intel)

I'm on 10.5.1 Intel. I installed the Input Manager, perhaps that's
related? I'll try booting without the Input Manager tomorrow.

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21

Ted Pavlic

> Anyways, after getting the update and restarting MacVim again, I get
> "you must exec" or something errors (posting from another computer,
> can't copy paste) and all my apps were freezed. Might be a
> coincidence, but I don't think so.

Likewise, my entire computer freezes when starting the new MacVim.
People should download release 21 **WITH EXTREME CAUTION**.

Additionally, the Sparkle updater downloads the update fine, but then
complains about not being able to unarchive it.

--Ted

--
Ted Pavlic <[hidden email]>

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21

Adam Mercer

On Feb 11, 2008 5:16 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After the update, running `mvim` reproducibly kills my computer (100%
> cpu, even after I kill all MacVim and Vim tasks), it looks like vim
> forks infinitly often. I'll try to debug that tomorrow (likely related
> to my forking code; you asked to move the fork check to the beginning
> if vim's main anyways, so I'll try that first, it'll probably fix it).

I'm seeing this as well.

Cheers

Adam

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21

Jim Tittsler

On Feb 12, 2008, at 11:16, [hidden email] wrote:

> After the update, running `mvim` reproducibly kills my computer (100%
> cpu, even after I kill all MacVim and Vim tasks), it looks like vim

Ah.  That was the missing piece.  I typically start MacVim from
QuickSilver, but if I start it with the mvim script it fails as you
describe.

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21

antonyb

On Feb 12, 3:30 am, "Adam Mercer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2008 5:16 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > After the update, running `mvim` reproducibly kills my computer (100%
> > cpu, even after I kill all MacVim and Vim tasks), it looks like vim
> > forks infinitly often. I'll try to debug that tomorrow (likely related
> > to my forking code; you asked to move the fork check to the beginning
> > if vim's main anyways, so I'll try that first, it'll probably fix it).
>
> I'm seeing this as well.
>
> Cheers
>
> Adam

And, for what its worth, so am I.

Is it possible to roll back to build 20?

Ant.

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21

Adam Mercer

On Feb 11, 2008 10:57 PM, ant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it possible to roll back to build 20?

There's no automated way, that I know of, but you can download
snapshot 20 from
http://macvim.googlecode.com/files/MacVim-snapshot-20.tbz and then
replace the binary in /Applications. When you next start MacVim you'll
get the Sparkle announcement that a new build is available, just click
the "Skip this version" button and you won't be bothered until the
next build.

Cheers

Adam

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21

antonyb

On Feb 12, 9:36 am, "Adam Mercer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2008 10:57 PM, ant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to roll back to build 20?
>
> There's no automated way, that I know of, but you can download
> snapshot 20 fromhttp://macvim.googlecode.com/files/MacVim-snapshot-20.tbzand then
> replace the binary in /Applications. When you next start MacVim you'll
> get the Sparkle announcement that a new build is available, just click
> the "Skip this version" button and you won't be bothered until the
> next build.
>
> Cheers
>
> Adam

Brilliant. Thanks.

Ant.

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21

David Morel-4

Le 11 févr. 08 à 22:47, björn a écrit :
> The main reason why I released another snapshot now is because my Mac
> is dying.  I can use it for simpler tasks but it crashes regularly so
> serious programming is out of the question.  Unfortunately this means
> there will be no updates to MacVim until I can get a new Mac.
> Hopefully this won't be more than a couple of weeks but I can't
> promise anything (because I simply cannot afford to just go and buy
> one straight away).

Okay, okay, how much do you need then ?

DMorel

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21

Nico Weber-3

> I'm on 10.5.1 Intel. I installed the Input Manager, perhaps that's
> related? I'll try booting without the Input Manager tomorrow.

Removing the InputManager from /Library/InputManagers prevents mvim
from bringing down your whole computer -- now it simply doesn't work,
but at least you can `killall -9 MacVim; killall -9 Vim` and debug it.
More later.

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21

Nico Weber-3

> Removing the InputManager from /Library/InputManagers prevents mvim
> from bringing down your whole computer -- now it simply doesn't work,
> but at least you can `killall -9 MacVim; killall -9 Vim` and debug it.
> More later.

...but doing cmd-q in safari after you killall'd vims still kills the
system :-\

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21

Nico Weber-3

The breakage was introduced by "Find Next/Previous and Use Selection
for Find menus" (commit 34ca84a2544e4b7e9083610746f7e802265b7728 ).
All prior versions work fine.

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21

Björn Winckler

> The breakage was introduced by "Find Next/Previous and Use Selection
> for Find menus" (commit 34ca84a2544e4b7e9083610746f7e802265b7728 ).
> All prior versions work fine.

Thanks for finding that out.  However I cannot understand how that
commit would so horribly break everything...all that commit does is to
send search terms to the Find Pasteboard (in search.c) and then I
changed the menus around a bit.

I just tried starting snapshot 21 with and without the "-f" flag.
Without it my system locks up (just like everybody else has described,
but no error messages) with it everything works fine.  Seems like the
forking is causing these problems.  Nico: should we pull the forking
code altogether or do you think it can be fixed?

By the way, thanks to everybody for telling me about this issue so
swiftly...I just wish I had read my email earlier so that fewer people
would have been affected by this broken snapshot.

/Björn

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21 (emergency fix)

Nico Weber-3

> Thanks for finding that out.  However I cannot understand how that
> commit would so horribly break everything...all that commit does is to
> send search terms to the Find Pasteboard (in search.c) and then I
> changed the menus around a bit.
>
> I just tried starting snapshot 21 with and without the "-f" flag.
> Without it my system locks up (just like everybody else has described,
> but no error messages) with it everything works fine.  Seems like the
> forking is causing these problems.  Nico: should we pull the forking
> code altogether or do you think it can be fixed?

One time during testing I also saw the problem with -f (but I probably
did something wrong during testing, I can't explain why this should
happen).

Here's what I _think_ is happening: After forking, vim cleans up after
itself to prepare exec'ing itself again. Somewhere during the
shutdown, the "copy text to search clipboard" routine is called and
fails (because it calls cocoa functions, which don't work after
forking). I'm not totally sure yet why this triggers a fork bomb.

However, putting

      if (gui.dofork) return;

in the first line of `gui_macvim_add_to_find_pboard()` fixes the
problem for me, so this could be used as an emergency fix. I'll try to
find a thorough explanation for the problem within the next day, and
cook up a real patch after that -- this probably means moving the
forking code closer to the start of main().

I'd suggest putting in that line and releasing a build as version 22,
but I'd wait with putting it in the appcast for about two days. I'd
recommend to do that in general: Send out a release note, wait for
about two days if there's obvious breakage, and put it on the appcast
only if no obvious problems are found during this period.

Bye,
Nico

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21

Nico Weber-3

>> The main reason why I released another snapshot now is because my Mac
>> is dying.  I can use it for simpler tasks but it crashes regularly so
>> serious programming is out of the question.  Unfortunately this means
>> there will be no updates to MacVim until I can get a new Mac.
>> Hopefully this won't be more than a couple of weeks but I can't
>> promise anything (because I simply cannot afford to just go and buy
>> one straight away).
>
> Okay, okay, how much do you need then ?

I'd rather donate a few bucks than to have MacVim developement slowed
down for a few months too :-)

Nico

On 12/02/2008, Nico Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Thanks for finding that out.  However I cannot understand how that
> > commit would so horribly break everything...all that commit does is to
> > send search terms to the Find Pasteboard (in search.c) and then I
> > changed the menus around a bit.
> >
> > I just tried starting snapshot 21 with and without the "-f" flag.
> > Without it my system locks up (just like everybody else has described,
> > but no error messages) with it everything works fine.  Seems like the
> > forking is causing these problems.  Nico: should we pull the forking
> > code altogether or do you think it can be fixed?
>
> One time during testing I also saw the problem with -f (but I probably
> did something wrong during testing, I can't explain why this should
> happen).
>
> Here's what I _think_ is happening: After forking, vim cleans up after
> itself to prepare exec'ing itself again. Somewhere during the
> shutdown, the "copy text to search clipboard" routine is called and
> fails (because it calls cocoa functions, which don't work after
> forking). I'm not totally sure yet why this triggers a fork bomb.
>
> However, putting
>
>         if (gui.dofork) return;
>
> in the first line of `gui_macvim_add_to_find_pboard()` fixes the
> problem for me, so this could be used as an emergency fix. I'll try to
> find a thorough explanation for the problem within the next day, and
> cook up a real patch after that -- this probably means moving the
> forking code closer to the start of main().
>
> I'd suggest putting in that line and releasing a build as version 22,
> but I'd wait with putting it in the appcast for about two days. I'd
> recommend to do that in general: Send out a release note, wait for
> about two days if there's obvious breakage, and put it on the appcast
> only if no obvious problems are found during this period.

I am just about to relase a snapshot that disables forking
altogether...for now that seems like a safer measure (and not too many
people will miss forking, but it might be a bit annoying for those who
forget to update their mvim script).  Any objections?

Thanks for the idea of holding the appcast for a while...why didn't I
think of that? :-)

/Björn

Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 21 (emergency fix)

Nico Weber-3

> I am just about to relase a snapshot that disables forking
> altogether...for now that seems like a safer measure (and not too many
> people will miss forking, but it might be a bit annoying for those who
> forget to update their mvim script).  Any objections?

Well, yes. I pipe stuff into mvim all the time :-P

12