MacVim crash

Nico Weber-3

Hi,

when opening a certain xml file and then closing it again with Cmd-w,
MacVim behaved erratically (messing up the finder window it was
opened from, or crashing). It's not completely reproducible (because
Cmd-w doesn't seem to do anything anymore after the last crash), but
I got some messages like

2007-08-14 22:56:43.948 MacVim[6009] *** -[PSMRolloverButton
frameDidChange:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x15a06350]
2007-08-14 22:56:43.948 MacVim[6009] Exception raised during posting
of notification.  Ignored.  exception: *** -[PSMRolloverButton
frameDidChange:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x15a06350]
2007-08-14 22:56:43.948 MacVim[6009] *** -[PSMRolloverButton
frameDidChange:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x15a06350]
2007-08-14 22:56:43.948 MacVim[6009] Exception raised during posting
of notification.  Ignored.  exception: *** -[PSMRolloverButton
frameDidChange:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x15a06350]
2007-08-14 22:56:43.948 MacVim[6009] *** -[PSMRolloverButton
frameDidChange:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x15a06350]

in terminal.app.

Perhaps this helps?

Nico

Re: MacVim crash

Nico Weber-3

> when opening a certain xml file and then closing it again with Cmd-w,
> MacVim behaved erratically (messing up the finder window it was
> opened from, or crashing). It's not completely reproducible (because
> Cmd-w doesn't seem to do anything anymore after the last crash)

Cmd-w doesn't work if I launch MacVim by opening a xml file (or any
other file I guess, but MacVim associated itself with .xml files)
from finder by double-clicking it (or hitting cmd-down); probably
some vimrc is not sourced in that case. Still, this doesn't happen
every time.

Re: MacVim crash

Nico Weber-3

On Aug 14, 2007, at 11:08 PM, Nico Weber wrote:

>> when opening a certain xml file and then closing it again with Cmd-w,
>> MacVim behaved erratically (messing up the finder window it was
>> opened from, or crashing). It's not completely reproducible (because
>> Cmd-w doesn't seem to do anything anymore after the last crash)
>
> Cmd-w doesn't work if I launch MacVim by opening a xml file (or any
> other file I guess, but MacVim associated itself with .xml files)
>> from finder by double-clicking it (or hitting cmd-down); probably
> some vimrc is not sourced in that case. Still, this doesn't happen
> every time.

Ok, the "messes up finder window" part is reproducible. Create a
folder called "zzz" in your home folder (I think it's important that
it's the alphabetically last folder in you home dir) and create a
subdir. Switch finder to column view (Cmd-3) and click on the folder
inside zzz, so that the subdir of zzz is marked blue in finder.

Now open a terminal and type

     mvim ~/_gvimrc
     mvim ~/_vimrc

(doesn't really matter what you open, just two distinct files so that
two MacVim windows open). Now close the second MacVim window (in this
case, the one containing _vimrc) by hitting Cmd-w. What you'll see:
In the finder window, the folder zzz flashes (as if it had been moved
somewhere else for a short while and then moved back to where it was)
and the subdir is no longer selected. This is particularly annoying
if it was in some deeply nested folder -- you now have to navigate to
your file again, starting from your home dir (workaround: create a
folder that's alphabetically below the folder you're working in. This
always happens to the last folder in your homedir). This only happens
if at least two MacVim windows are open, so I can't test if this
would happen with Carbon vim as well.

I have no idea why this is happening. Perhaps a problem with running
several vim instances? Is there a vim option that does something like
this intentionally (Bram?)?

The crash happens every now and then, but I couldn't find a way to
reproduce it.

Nico

Re: MacVim crash

Björn Winckler

>> when opening a certain xml file and then closing it again with Cmd-w,
>> MacVim behaved erratically (messing up the finder window it was
>> opened from, or crashing). It's not completely reproducible (because
>> Cmd-w doesn't seem to do anything anymore after the last crash)
>
> Cmd-w doesn't work if I launch MacVim by opening a xml file (or any
> other file I guess, but MacVim associated itself with .xml files)
>> from finder by double-clicking it (or hitting cmd-down); probably
> some vimrc is not sourced in that case. Still, this doesn't happen
> every time.

Ok, the "messes up finder window" part is reproducible. Create a
folder called "zzz" in your home folder (I think it's important that
it's the alphabetically last folder in you home dir) and create a
subdir. Switch finder to column view (Cmd-3) and click on the folder
inside zzz, so that the subdir of zzz is marked blue in finder.

Now open a terminal and type

     mvim ~/_gvimrc
     mvim ~/_vimrc

(doesn't really matter what you open, just two distinct files so that
two MacVim windows open). Now close the second MacVim window (in this
case, the one containing _vimrc) by hitting Cmd-w. What you'll see:
In the finder window, the folder zzz flashes (as if it had been moved
somewhere else for a short while and then moved back to where it was)
and the subdir is no longer selected. This is particularly annoying
if it was in some deeply nested folder -- you now have to navigate to
your file again, starting from your home dir (workaround: create a
folder that's alphabetically below the folder you're working in. This
always happens to the last folder in your homedir). This only happens
if at least two MacVim windows are open, so I can't test if this
would happen with Carbon vim as well.

I have no idea why this is happening. Perhaps a problem with running
several vim instances? Is there a vim option that does something like
this intentionally (Bram?)?

The crash happens every now and then, but I couldn't find a way to
reproduce it.

This is troubling, but I have not been able to reproduce any of the problems you describe...so let me ask you this: have you got any other copies of MacVim on your hard drive?  If so, delete all of them (and empty trash)...don't rename them, you really have to delete and empty trash.  Do the problems persist?

If these problems still remain then I am at a loss...if you could try to debug the problems I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Björn

Re: MacVim crash

Björn Winckler

[...]

These messages I recognize...I have been getting them intermittently for a couple of days now.  I will look into this today...maybe it is related to the problems you are having.

/Björn

Re: MacVim crash

Nico Weber-3

> This is troubling, but I have not been able to reproduce any of the
> problems you describe...so let me ask you this: have you got any
> other copies of MacVim on your hard drive?  If so, delete all of
> them (and empty trash)...don't rename them, you really have to
> delete and empty trash.  Do the problems persist?
>
> If these problems still remain then I am at a loss...if you could
> try to debug the problems I would be very grateful.

I had a second MacVim.app (from svn), but it wasn't running. Anyways,
I deleted it and emptied the trash. After I restarted my MacVim the
problem (Finder loosing its current folder) seems to happen less
often (not every time, but still about every third time).

Why could a second _not running_ MacVim.app on my disk cause any
problems?

I have no idea how to start debugging that. OS X has, as far as I
know, nothing to track file accesses (I guess on Linux I could use
strace for this). Does MacVim itself do any directory renaming (I
guess not)?

Anyways, it seems to happen more often with xml files (which are
associated with MacVim on my system. I didn't do this myself, so I
guess MacVim autoassociated itself with them).

To reproduce:
mkdir ~/zza
touch ~/zza/bla.xml
mkdir -p ~/zzz/folder
open -a Finder ~/zzz/folder
open -a Finder ~/zza

Do
1. cmd-down (in finder, to open MacVim with the empty xml file)
2. cmd-w (to close the MacVim window)
3. cmd-q (to close macvim)
4. goto 1

until the finder window displaying zzz/folder displays only your
homedir. I need to repeat the loop 1 to 3 times. If the finder window
displaying folder is in view 1, it disappears instead of displaying
your home dir (this happens in view 3). What this means: Simply
execute the commands as given above and don't fiddle with the finder
window views ;-)

Can you reproduce this?

I just noticed that this vanishes if I start MacVim with `mvim -u
NONE`. However, if I rename the _vimrc in my home folder, it still
happens, so it might be a problem with MacVims vimrc? Hm, the system
vimrc seems to contain only `:set nocompatible`. But this seems to be
the culprit: If I do the steps outlined above (but with `:q` instead
of `Cmd-w` and by opening MacVim with -u NONE), everything is fine;
but if I do `:set nocompatible`, `:q` the finder window vanishes.
This does also happen with only one MacVim window. It doesn't happen
in carbon gvim, but carbon gvim closes on :q. On the other hand, it
also happens if I only press cmd-q in macvim every now and then
(after doing `:set compatible`, starting with `mvim -u NONE`).

HTH,
Nico

Re: MacVim crash

Nico Weber-3

> These messages I recognize...I have been getting them
> intermittently for a couple of days now.  I will look into this
> today...maybe it is related to the problems you are having.

can you see the `mvim -d` problem as well?

Re: MacVim crash

Björn Winckler

> This is troubling, but I have not been able to reproduce any of the
> problems you describe...so let me ask you this: have you got any
> other copies of MacVim on your hard drive?  If so, delete all of
> them (and empty trash)...don't rename them, you really have to
> delete and empty trash.  Do the problems persist?
>
> If these problems still remain then I am at a loss...if you could
> try to debug the problems I would be very grateful.

I had a second MacVim.app (from svn), but it wasn't running. Anyways,
I deleted it and emptied the trash. After I restarted my MacVim the
problem (Finder loosing its current folder) seems to happen less
often (not every time, but still about every third time).

Why could a second _not running_ MacVim.app on my disk cause any
problems?

I don't get it either.  It seems like Mac OS X gets confused if you have several versions of an application on your hard drive.  I am having serious problems with this...I never know which version it is using, so I regularly have to delete all but one copy of MacVim.  It is highly annoying.

I have no idea how to start debugging that. OS X has, as far as I
know, nothing to track file accesses (I guess on Linux I could use
strace for this). Does MacVim itself do any directory renaming (I
guess not)?

Nope.

Anyways, it seems to happen more often with xml files (which are
associated with MacVim on my system. I didn't do this myself, so I
guess MacVim autoassociated itself with them).

It's the Info.plist which contains an xml entry.  So if no other program has an xml entry in their Info.plist, OS X will make your app the default.

To reproduce:
mkdir ~/zza
touch ~/zza/bla.xml
mkdir -p ~/zzz/folder
open -a Finder ~/zzz/folder
open -a Finder ~/zza

Do
1. cmd-down (in finder, to open MacVim with the empty xml file)
2. cmd-w (to close the MacVim window)
3. cmd-q (to close macvim)
4. goto 1

until the finder window displaying zzz/folder displays only your
homedir. I need to repeat the loop 1 to 3 times. If the finder window
displaying folder is in view 1, it disappears instead of displaying
your home dir (this happens in view 3). What this means: Simply
execute the commands as given above and don't fiddle with the finder
window views ;-)

Can you reproduce this?

Still nothing (and I've been repeating your procedure about 50 times in a row).

I just noticed that this vanishes if I start MacVim with `mvim -u
NONE`. However, if I rename the _vimrc in my home folder, it still
happens, so it might be a problem with MacVims vimrc? Hm, the system
vimrc seems to contain only `:set nocompatible`. But this seems to be
the culprit: If I do the steps outlined above (but with `:q` instead
of `Cmd-w` and by opening MacVim with -u NONE), everything is fine;
but if I do `:set nocompatible`, `:q` the finder window vanishes.
This does also happen with only one MacVim window. It doesn't happen
in carbon gvim, but carbon gvim closes on :q. On the other hand, it
also happens if I only press cmd-q in macvim every now and then
(after doing `:set compatible`, starting with `mvim -u NONE`).

This is weird...I have no idea as to what is going on...how can nocompatible make any difference?  Hmmm...

On another note; I'm running MacVim through the debugger and stress testing it and I've had all sorts of fun problems (bad memory accesses etc.) so there is obviously some bigger problem lurking in the background.  All problems happen when a window is either opened or closed so I've got some kind of memory problem I think.  I'll keep digging...it might be that all these weird issues are related somehow.

/Björn

Re: MacVim crash

john_oshea

Nico Weber wrote:
> I have no idea how to start debugging that. OS X has, as far as I
> know, nothing to track file accesses (I guess on Linux I could use
> strace for this). Does MacVim itself do any directory renaming (I
> guess not)?

sudo ktrace -ti -p {pid}

will trace all I/O for process {pid}

It sticks the raw data in a ktrace.out file by default, and you can then use

sudo kdump

to view it in a more human-friendly format - is that the kind of thing
you're after?

--
John O'Shea
Wordbank Limited

Re: MacVim crash

Björn Winckler

On another note; I'm running MacVim through the debugger and stress testing it and I've had all sorts of fun problems (bad memory accesses etc.) so there is obviously some bigger problem lurking in the background.  All problems happen when a window is either opened or closed so I've got some kind of memory problem I think.  I'll keep digging...it might be that all these weird issues are related somehow.

Ok, after a whole day of debugging I came up with this:

1. PSMTabBarControl never unregisters as an observer from the NSNotificationCenter.  This caused all sorts of weird problems...those error messages Nico reported were because of this.

2. Something inside VimWindow.nib got deallocated twice whenever MMWindowController was released.  I could not for the life of me figure out exactly what it was, so I removed all the views from the nib and create them manually inside [MMWindowController initWithVimController] instead.  I am not entirely sure this fixes the bug, because it can be somewhat hard to reproduce (it involves opening&closing windows like a mad man), but I've had no problems so far (knock on wood).

Nico, you might want to update your svn repository (to r145 at least) and see if the problems you've been having are still there or not.  Of course, I do not discount the possibility that the changes I've made have introduced more bugs...I've only been using it for half an hour or so, but I would appreciate if you could test it as well.

/Björn

Re: MacVim crash

Nico Weber-3

> Nico, you might want to update your svn repository (to r145 at
> least) and see if the problems you've been having are still there
> or not.  Of course, I do not discount the possibility that the
> changes I've made have introduced more bugs...I've only been using
> it for half an hour or so, but I would appreciate if you could test
> it as well.

I just updated to MacVim revision 153 and vim revision 460. This
version is horribly broken. If I open MacVim, the first window has a
deactivated title bar and the menus look as if no window was opened.
Hitting Cmd-n produces more inactive windows but doesn't change the
menu either. If I quite MacVim, the Vim instances stay alive, I have
to kill them in Activity Monitor.

Nico

Re: MacVim crash

Björn Winckler
> Nico, you might want to update your svn repository (to r145 at
> least) and see if the problems you've been having are still there
> or not.  Of course, I do not discount the possibility that the
> changes I've made have introduced more bugs...I've only been using
> it for half an hour or so, but I would appreciate if you could test
> it as well.

I just updated to MacVim revision 153 and vim revision 460. This
version is horribly broken. If I open MacVim, the first window has a
deactivated title bar and the menus look as if no window was opened.
Hitting Cmd-n produces more inactive windows but doesn't change the
menu either. If I quite MacVim, the Vim instances stay alive, I have
to kill them in Activity Monitor.

Did you try to "Clean all" in the Xcode project and rebuild (you might want to rebuild Vim as well, but that should not matter so much)?  The fact that the Vim instances are still alive indicates that something is wrong with your build; each instance will automatically quit whenever their NSConnection is invalidated and this happens automatically (and instantaneously) whenever MacVim quits (a Mach ports feature).

/Björn

Re: MacVim crash

Nico Weber-3

> I just updated to MacVim revision 153 and vim revision 460. This
> version is horribly broken. If I open MacVim, the first window has a
> deactivated title bar and the menus look as if no window was opened.
> Hitting Cmd-n produces more inactive windows but doesn't change the
> menu either. If I quit MacVim, the Vim instances stay alive, I have
> to kill them in Activity Monitor.
>
> Did you try to "Clean all" in the Xcode project and rebuild (you
> might want to rebuild Vim as well, but that should not matter so
> much)?  The fact that the Vim instances are still alive indicates
> that something is wrong with your build; each instance will
> automatically quit whenever their NSConnection is invalidated and
> this happens automatically (and instantaneously) whenever MacVim
> quits (a Mach ports feature).

This still happens after a "clean all" in xcode and "make clean" for
vim. The run log shows

[Session started at 2007-08-19 20:52:40 +0200.]
Error detected while processing /Users/nico/_vimrc: [J
line   34: [J
E484: Can't open file /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/
syntax/syntax.vim [J

Error detected while processing /Users/nico/_gvimrc:
line   29:
E484: Can't open file /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/
syntax/syntax.vim2007-08-19 20:52:40.484 Vim[20661] CFLog (0):
CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1103 (0x44f), port =
0x3903, name = 'org.vim.MacVim.ServiceProvider'
See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.
2007-08-19 20:52:40.485 Vim[20661] CFLog (99):
CFMessagePortCreateLocal(): failed to name Mach port
(org.vim.MacVim.ServiceProvider)

I started MacVim by hitting "run" in xcode as well as by executing
MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g .

For some reason, "allow zero link" is grayed out in xcode. This might
be related. Ideas?

Thanks,
Nico

Re: MacVim crash

Björn Winckler

> I just updated to MacVim revision 153 and vim revision 460. This
> version is horribly broken. If I open MacVim, the first window has a
> deactivated title bar and the menus look as if no window was opened.
> Hitting Cmd-n produces more inactive windows but doesn't change the
> menu either. If I quit MacVim, the Vim instances stay alive, I have
> to kill them in Activity Monitor.
>
> Did you try to "Clean all" in the Xcode project and rebuild (you
> might want to rebuild Vim as well, but that should not matter so
> much)?  The fact that the Vim instances are still alive indicates
> that something is wrong with your build; each instance will
> automatically quit whenever their NSConnection is invalidated and
> this happens automatically (and instantaneously) whenever MacVim
> quits (a Mach ports feature).

This still happens after a "clean all" in xcode and "make clean" for
vim. The run log shows

[Session started at 2007-08-19 20:52:40 +0200.]
Error detected while processing /Users/nico/_vimrc: [J
line   34: [J
E484: Can't open file /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/
syntax/syntax.vim [J

Error detected while processing /Users/nico/_gvimrc:
line   29:
E484: Can't open file /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/
syntax/syntax.vim2007-08-19 20:52:40.484 Vim[20661] CFLog (0):
CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1103 (0x44f), port =
0x3903, name = 'org.vim.MacVim.ServiceProvider'
See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.
2007-08-19 20:52:40.485 Vim[20661] CFLog (99):
CFMessagePortCreateLocal(): failed to name Mach port
(org.vim.MacVim.ServiceProvider)

I started MacVim by hitting "run" in xcode as well as by executing
MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g .

It sounds to me like you already have MacVim running; so when you hit Cmd-n the Vim window will actually belong to the already running MacVim instance (which is why it is grayed out) and when you quit MacVim the Vim processes keep running because they "belong" to the MacVim instance that is still running.  This is confusing, but quite logical --- when a Vim process starts it checks if MacVim is running by trying to connect to a named port.  This port name is derived from "CFBundleIdentifier" inside Info.plist.  If there is such a port, it connects to it; if not, it starts up MacVim and keeps trying to connect to the port until it succeeds (or times out).  (All this is in -[MMBackend checkin].)

When you start your newly built MacVim from Xcode it tries to create the named port but fails (MMAppController).  At this point in time it really should give up and quit, because this can only mean that another instance of MacVim is already up and running, but I haven't gotten around to implementing this yet.

Normally, this problem never happens because there should only be one instance of MacVim.app on your hard drive.  When you are developing though it is a whole other story, which is why you have to this:  Go into the Info.plist or the instance that you are _not_ building and change the value of "CFBundleIdentifier" (I use "org.vim.MacVim-devel").  Check "Building MacVim whilst using it to code" in

http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Building

for more details.

The E484 error sounds to me like the Vim runtime folder is not copied properly into the app bundle.  Have you checked out the MacVim source to the folder "vim7/src/MacVim"?  Is "vim7/runtime" present?  Finally, check that "build/Debug/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime" is populated with all the relevant runtime files ( e.g. syntax.vim which seems to be missing).  If that's not the problem, then maybe $VIMRUNTIME is not being set properly?  (I force it in one of the init functions in gui_macvim.m)

For some reason, "allow zero link" is grayed out in xcode. This might
be related. Ideas?

No.  This is because I have disabled zero link in the build settings.  (You can check this by opening the "Info" window (Cmd+I) on "Targets / MacVim" in Xcode.)

Hope that helps,
/Björn