MacVim crashes with I use plugins

Federico Calboli
Hi All,

I had the annoying problem that MacVim would stop opening files (it would open a blank file) if I had files of the same kind already open.  The problem was common but unpredictable in its occurrence, i.e. would just happen after a random number of file open actions.

I uninstalled my plugins and removed .vimrc and .gvimrc.

I have now installed Vundle as plugin manager, but the same issue presented itself with Pathogen (which I have now installed).  Now my .vimrc looks like:

set nocompatible
filetype off
set rtp+=~/.vim/bundle/vundle/
call vundle#rc()
Bundle 'gmarik/vundle'
Bundle 'Vim-R-plugin'
filetype plugin indent on
set modelines=0
set guifont=letteragbeta:h17
syntax on " colour hilighting
set tabstop=2 " no. of space chars when tab key is pressed
set shiftwidth=2 " number of space characters inserted for indentation
set expandtab " space chars instead of <TAB> when tab key is pressed
set softtabstop=2 " makes the spaces feel like real tabs
set bs=2 " allow backspacing over everything in insert mode
set ai " Always set auto-indenting on
set history=50 " keep 50 lines of command history
set ruler " Show the cursor position all the time
set smartindent
set hlsearch " highlight search
highlight Comment ctermfg=lightblue " make comments readable on black background
set viminfo='10,\"100,:20,%,n~/.viminfo
if &term=="xterm" || &term=="xterm-color"
    :map! <Esc>Oq 1
    :map! <Esc>Or 2
    :map! <Esc>Os 3
    :map! <Esc>Ot 4
    :map! <Esc>Ou 5
    :map! <Esc>Ov 6
    :map! <Esc>Ow 7
    :map! <Esc>Ox 8
    :map! <Esc>Oy 9
    :map! <Esc>Op 0
    :map! <Esc>On .
    :map! <Esc>OQ /
    :map! <Esc>OR *
    :map! <Esc>Ol +
    :map! <Esc>OS -
endif
colorscheme molokai
let g:molokai_original = 1
set number
set formatoptions=l
set lbr
set tw=150
set timeoutlen=750
if &term =~ "xterm-256color\\|rxvt"
    let &t_SI = "\033]Pl4682b4\033\\"
    let &t_EI = "\033]Pla0522d\033\\"
    autocmd VimLeave * silent !echo -ne "\033]Plc1ffc1\033\\"
endif
:set viminfo^=h

The plugin is installed correctly, but if I try to open a R source file (foo.R) MacVim crashes, with this in console:

11/10/2013 15:30:26.085 MacVim[70425]: *** -[NSMachPort handlePortMessage:]: dropping incoming DO message because the connection is invalid

What is going on?

In case you need, my .gvimrc is:

set tabstop=2 " no. of space chars when tab key is pressed
set shiftwidth=2 " number of space characters inserted for indentation
set expandtab " space chars instead of <TAB> when tab key is pressed
set softtabstop=2 " makes the spaces feel like real tabs
set bs=2 " allow backspacing over everything in insert mode
set ai " Always set auto-indenting on
set history=50 " keep 50 lines of command history
set ruler " Show the cursor position all the time
set smartindent
set hlsearch " highlight search
colorscheme molokai
let g:molokai_original = 1
set formatoptions=l
set lbr
set tw=150
highlight Cursor guifg=white guibg=sienna
highlight iCursor guifg=white guibg=steelblue
set guicursor=n-v-c:block-Cursor
set guicursor+=i:block-iCursor
set guicursor+=a:blinkon0

BW

Re: MacVim crashes with I use plugins

Federico Calboli
Let me add:

OS 10.8.5
MacVim Snapshot 71 for Mountain Lion.

BW

On Friday, 11 October 2013 15:43:42 UTC+1, Federico Calboli  wrote:

> [...]
>
> What is going on?
>
> In case you need, my .gvimrc is:
>
> set tabstop=2 " no. of space chars when tab key is pressed
> set shiftwidth=2 " number of space characters inserted for indentation
> set expandtab " space chars instead of <TAB> when tab key is pressed
> set softtabstop=2 " makes the spaces feel like real tabs
> set bs=2 " allow backspacing over everything in insert mode
> set ai " Always set auto-indenting on
> set history=50 " keep 50 lines of command history
> set ruler " Show the cursor position all the time
> set smartindent
> set hlsearch " highlight search
> colorscheme molokai
> let g:molokai_original = 1
> set formatoptions=l
> set lbr
> set tw=150
> highlight Cursor guifg=white guibg=sienna
> highlight iCursor guifg=white guibg=steelblue

Björn Winckler
On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 4:43 PM, Federico Calboli wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I had the annoying problem that MacVim would stop opening files (it would open a blank file) if I had files of the same kind already open.  The problem was common but unpredictable in its occurrence, i.e. would just happen after a random number of file open actions.
>
> I uninstalled my plugins and removed .vimrc and .gvimrc.
>
> I have now installed Vundle as plugin manager, but the same issue presented itself with Pathogen (which I have now installed).  Now my .vimrc looks like:
>
> set nocompatible
>
> The plugin is installed correctly, but if I try to open a R source file (foo.R) MacVim crashes, with this in console:
>
> 11/10/2013 15:30:26.085 MacVim[70425]: *** -[NSMachPort handlePortMessage:]: dropping incoming DO message because the connection is invalid
>
> What is going on?
>
> In case you need, my .gvimrc is:
>
> set tabstop=2 " no. of space chars when tab key is pressed

There should be a crash log somewhere under ~/Library/Logs/.  If you
attach that I'll take a look.

Björn

On 12 Oct 2013, at 10:06, björn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There should be a crash log somewhere under ~/Library/Logs/.  If you
> attach that I'll take a look.
>
> Björn

nope, no relevant log I can see I'm afraid.

BW

> ---

Federico Calboli

Re: MacVim crashes with I use plugins

Douglas Drumond
Hi Frederico,

It seems I compiled MacVim against homebrew python instead of system python. I'm sorry for my mistake. Please download MacVim again from https://github.com/eee19/macvim/releases and let me know if the problem persists.

Re: MacVim crashes with I use plugins

Federico Calboli
Hi Douglas,

homebrew, the spawn of the devil!  But, yes, things work now.  Many thanks!

On 13 Oct 2013, at 07:10, Douglas Drumond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Frederico,
>
> It seems I compiled MacVim against homebrew python instead of system python. I'm sorry for my mistake. Please download MacVim again from https://github.com/eee19/macvim/releases and let me know if the problem persists.
>

> --
> Douglas Drumond
> GDG Campinas – eee19.com
> gplus.to/douglasdrumond – @douglasdrumond

> ---

Federico Calboli

Re: MacVim crashes with I use plugins

Frank Hellenkamp-2
Hi Douglas,

> It seems I compiled MacVim against homebrew python instead of system
> python. I'm sorry for my mistake. Please download MacVim again
> from https://github.com/eee19/macvim/releases and let me know if the
> problem persists.

Great, thanks!

Frank