MacVim launching Skim

hcai
Hi all, I am setting up MacVim for Latex editing and compiling. I tried a lot of methods for launching Skim to view the compiled pdf, but it hasn't been able to work. Does anyone know how to figure it out?

Re: MacVim launching Skim

toothpik
On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:00:57PM -0700, hcai wrote:
> Hi all, I am setting up MacVim for Latex editing and compiling. I
> tried a lot of methods for launching Skim to view the compiled pdf,
> but it hasn't been able to work. Does anyone know how to figure it
> out?

and you posted this to the vim_use mailing list because...

skim rhymes with vim?

Re: MacVim launching Skim

Tim Gray
On Mar 18, 2015 at 12:00 PM -0700, hcai wrote:
>Hi all, I am setting up MacVim for Latex editing and compiling. I tried
>a lot of methods for launching Skim to view the compiled pdf, but it
>hasn't been able to work. Does anyone know how to figure it out?

:!open -a "Skim" %:r.pdf

I have this in a function which is bound to some key combo.  Well
actually I have a bit more written so it finds the root latex document
and opens the corresponding pdf, but if you don't need that, the above
should work as long as your pdf and tex file have the same filename
(barring the extension).

Tim

Re: MacVim launching Skim

Ethan Hereth

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 9:36 PM, toothpik <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:00:57PM -0700, hcai wrote:
> Hi all, I am setting up MacVim for Latex editing and compiling. I
> tried a lot of methods for launching Skim to view the compiled pdf,
> but it hasn't been able to work. Does anyone know how to figure it
> out?

and you posted this to the vim_use mailing list because...

skim rhymes with vim?

I think it's a fair question! I've done this before, but it was via a Latex plugin. Are you using a Latex plugin hcai?

It's been quite a while but I think that vim-latex supports using different pdf viewers. My .vimrc contains the following, although I haven't used the plugin in ages.

let g:Tex_ViewRule_pdf='acroread'

If you happen to use this plugin, or begin to use it, try :help Tex_ViewRule_format

There are a number of other good latex plugins as well. But, again, it's been awhile since I've used latex. I have, however, in the past used Skim with Vim and Latex...

Ethan Alan

Re: MacVim launching Skim

hcai
Thanks, Tim! It works!

Yes, I would also like to have some shortcut for launching Skim from MacVim. If you don't mind telling me more about that, I would appreciate it.

On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 9:45:28 PM UTC-4, Tim Gray wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2015 at 12:00 PM -0700, hcai wrote:
> >Hi all, I am setting up MacVim for Latex editing and compiling. I tried
> >a lot of methods for launching Skim to view the compiled pdf, but it
> >hasn't been able to work. Does anyone know how to figure it out?
>
> :!open -a "Skim" %:r.pdf
>
> I have this in a function which is bound to some key combo.  Well
> actually I have a bit more written so it finds the root latex document
> and opens the corresponding pdf, but if you don't need that, the above
> should work as long as your pdf and tex file have the same filename
> (barring the extension).
>
> Tim

Re: MacVim launching Skim

hcai
Hi Ethan,

       I tried several methods found on Google. I added something to the folder ~/.vim/plugins as some blog suggests. I hope there is a plugin that will enable me to launch Skim from Vim with a short command.

Haitao

On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 9:45:53 PM UTC-4, Ethan Hereth wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 9:36 PM, toothpik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:00:57PM -0700, hcai wrote:
>
> > Hi all, I am setting up MacVim for Latex editing and compiling. I
>
> > tried a lot of methods for launching Skim to view the compiled pdf,
>
> > but it hasn't been able to work. Does anyone know how to figure it
>
> > out?
>

> and you posted this to the vim_use mailing list because...
>

> skim rhymes with vim?
>

> I think it's a fair question! I've done this before, but it was via a Latex plugin. Are you using a Latex plugin hcai?
>

> It's been quite a while but I think that vim-latex supports using different pdf viewers. My .vimrc contains the following, although I haven't used the plugin in ages.
>

> let g:Tex_ViewRule_pdf='acroread'
>

> If you happen to use this plugin, or begin to use it, try :help Tex_ViewRule_format
>

> There are a number of other good latex plugins as well. But, again, it's been awhile since I've used latex. I have, however, in the past used Skim with Vim and Latex...
>

> Ethan Alan

> ---

Re: MacVim launching Skim

Ethan Hereth

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 7:59 PM, hcai <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ethan,

       I tried several methods found on Google. I added something to the folder ~/.vim/plugins as some blog suggests. I hope there is a plugin that will enable me to launch Skim from Vim with a short command.

Haitao

I would use a plugin manager if I were you; there are many: Vundle, Pathogen, etc.

There are also many latex plugins for vim; if you really want to use a plugin with vim to compose latex documents I would familiarize myself with them and determine which best fits your needs.

I'd say that none of these are for the weak of heart. You'll have to spend some time to figure out how to used them; I suspect that most decent latex plugins support launching a viewer to examine the pdf. But, as I said before, you'll have to do some reading and setup to get it working how you like it.

Ethan Alan

On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 9:45:53 PM UTC-4, Ethan Hereth wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 9:36 PM, toothpik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:00:57PM -0700, hcai wrote:
>
> > Hi all, I am setting up MacVim for Latex editing and compiling. I
>
> > tried a lot of methods for launching Skim to view the compiled pdf,
>
> > but it hasn't been able to work. Does anyone know how to figure it
>
> > out?
>

> and you posted this to the vim_use mailing list because...
>

> skim rhymes with vim?
>

> I think it's a fair question! I've done this before, but it was via a Latex plugin. Are you using a Latex plugin hcai?
>

> It's been quite a while but I think that vim-latex supports using different pdf viewers. My .vimrc contains the following, although I haven't used the plugin in ages.
>

> let g:Tex_ViewRule_pdf='acroread'
>

> If you happen to use this plugin, or begin to use it, try :help Tex_ViewRule_format
>

> There are a number of other good latex plugins as well. But, again, it's been awhile since I've used latex. I have, however, in the past used Skim with Vim and Latex...
>

> Ethan Alan

> ---

Re: MacVim launching Skim

hcai
Hi Ethan,

      Thanks for your suggestions! I definitely would like to spend time learning how to manipulate the plugin managers.

Haitao

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 1:08:32 PM UTC-4, Ethan Hereth wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 7:59 PM, hcai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Ethan,
>

>        I tried several methods found on Google. I added something to the folder ~/.vim/plugins as some blog suggests. I hope there is a plugin that will enable me to launch Skim from Vim with a short command.
>

> Haitao
>

> I would use a plugin manager if I were you; there are many: Vundle, Pathogen, etc.
>

> There are also many latex plugins for vim; if you really want to use a plugin with vim to compose latex documents I would familiarize myself with them and determine which best fits your needs.
>

> https://github.com/LaTeX-Box-Team/LaTeX-Box
>
> https://github.com/xuhdev/vim-latex-live-preview
>
> http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/
>
> http://atp-vim.sourceforge.net/
>

> I'd say that none of these are for the weak of heart. You'll have to spend some time to figure out how to used them; I suspect that most decent latex plugins support launching a viewer to examine the pdf. But, as I said before, you'll have to do some reading and setup to get it working how you like it.
>

> Ethan Alan
>

> On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 9:45:53 PM UTC-4, Ethan Hereth wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 9:36 PM, toothpik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:00:57PM -0700, hcai wrote:
>

> > > Hi all, I am setting up MacVim for Latex editing and compiling. I
>

> > > tried a lot of methods for launching Skim to view the compiled pdf,
>

> > > but it hasn't been able to work. Does anyone know how to figure it
>

> > > out?
>

> > and you posted this to the vim_use mailing list because...
>

> > skim rhymes with vim?
>

> > I think it's a fair question! I've done this before, but it was via a Latex plugin. Are you using a Latex plugin hcai?
>

> > It's been quite a while but I think that vim-latex supports using different pdf viewers. My .vimrc contains the following, although I haven't used the plugin in ages.
>

> > let g:Tex_ViewRule_pdf='acroread'
>

> > If you happen to use this plugin, or begin to use it, try :help Tex_ViewRule_format
>

> > There are a number of other good latex plugins as well. But, again, it's been awhile since I've used latex. I have, however, in the past used Skim with Vim and Latex...
>

> > Ethan Alan
>

> > --
>

> > --

> > ---

> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].

> ---

Re: MacVim launching Skim

Rick Dooling-2
On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 12:21:16 PM UTC-4, hcai wrote:

> Hi Ethan,
>
>       Thanks for your suggestions! I definitely would like to spend time learning how to manipulate the plugin managers.
>
> Haitao
>
> On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 1:08:32 PM UTC-4, Ethan Hereth wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 7:59 PM, hcai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Ethan,
> >

> >        I tried several methods found on Google. I added something to the folder ~/.vim/plugins as some blog suggests. I hope there is a plugin that will enable me to launch Skim from Vim with a short command.
> >

> > Haitao
> >

> > I would use a plugin manager if I were you; there are many: Vundle, Pathogen, etc.
> >

> > There are also many latex plugins for vim; if you really want to use a plugin with vim to compose latex documents I would familiarize myself with them and determine which best fits your needs.
> >

> > https://github.com/LaTeX-Box-Team/LaTeX-Box
> >
> > https://github.com/xuhdev/vim-latex-live-preview
> >
> > http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > http://atp-vim.sourceforge.net/
> >

> > I'd say that none of these are for the weak of heart. You'll have to spend some time to figure out how to used them; I suspect that most decent latex plugins support launching a viewer to examine the pdf. But, as I said before, you'll have to do some reading and setup to get it working how you like it.
> >

> > Ethan Alan
> >

> > On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 9:45:53 PM UTC-4, Ethan Hereth wrote:

> > > and you posted this to the vim_use mailing list because...
> >

> > > skim rhymes with vim?
> >

> > > I think it's a fair question! I've done this before, but it was via a Latex plugin. Are you using a Latex plugin hcai?
> >

> > > It's been quite a while but I think that vim-latex supports using different pdf viewers. My .vimrc contains the following, although I haven't used the plugin in ages.
> >

> > > let g:Tex_ViewRule_pdf='acroread'
> >

> > > If you happen to use this plugin, or begin to use it, try :help Tex_ViewRule_format
> >

> > > There are a number of other good latex plugins as well. But, again, it's been awhile since I've used latex. I have, however, in the past used Skim with Vim and Latex...
> >

> > > Ethan Alan
> >

> > > --
> >

> > > --
> >

> > > You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> >

> > > Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> >

> > > For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
> >

> > > ---
> >

> > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
> >

> > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].

> > --
> >
> > --

> > ---

> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].

This one uses pdfsync to go to the matching line <C-r>=line(',')<CR> in the pdf
Must have '\usepackage{pdfsync}' in header

map ,r :w<CR>:silent !/Applications/Skim.app/Contents/SharedSupport/displayline <C-r>=line('.')<CR> %<.pdf %<CR>