MacVim maintenance

12

MacVim maintenance

Björn Winckler
Hi all,

For quite some time now I have been unable to keep up with maintaining
MacVim and I've constantly been thinking that during the "next"
holidays I'll fix the outstanding issues.  It is becoming apparent
that I'll never be able to find that time so I'm going to have to step
down as maintainer of MacVim.

My apologies for taking so long to announce this.  I did spend a few
days recently trying to fix some of the issues appearing on Yosemite
but I've not in that time been able to come up with a satisfactory
solution.  This was perhaps the turning point where I realized I would
never be able to find enough time to keep up.

If anybody is interested in taking over as maintainer, please let me
know and I'll fill you in on the workflow I've used to update Vim
patches and release snapshots etc.

Björn

Re: MacVim maintenance

Douglas Drumond

> Hi all,
>
> For quite some time now I have been unable to keep up with maintaining
> MacVim and I've constantly been thinking that during the "next"
> holidays I'll fix the outstanding issues.  It is becoming apparent
> that I'll never be able to find that time so I'm going to have to step
> down as maintainer of MacVim.
>
> My apologies for taking so long to announce this.  I did spend a few
> days recently trying to fix some of the issues appearing on Yosemite
> but I've not in that time been able to come up with a satisfactory
> solution.  This was perhaps the turning point where I realized I would
> never be able to find enough time to keep up.
>
> If anybody is interested in taking over as maintainer, please let me
> know and I'll fill you in on the workflow I've used to update Vim
> patches and release snapshots etc.
>
> Björn

Hi Björn,

I really appreciate what you made so far and I'm very thankful for your work. I've been helping with the other OS X versions, and I'd like to see MacVim keep going, so I offer to keep the work.

Thanks.

All the best,

--
Douglas Drumond

Re: MacVim maintenance

amadeusdemarzi
I'd be willing to step in and help with keeping it up to date with vim patches. However I don't know C well enough to actually fix bugs, etc, so I only see myself as being able to help peripherally.

Speaking of this, I had been using the techniques in your Wiki to keep my fork up to date, however, something occured recently with a recent version of mercurial or hg-git where simply merging didn't work. It would attempt to re-merge the ENTIRE code-base, and I was unable to fix it. So my workaround has been just cherry-picking the new commits as they come in.

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 10:05:50 AM UTC-8, björn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For quite some time now I have been unable to keep up with maintaining
> MacVim and I've constantly been thinking that during the "next"
> holidays I'll fix the outstanding issues.  It is becoming apparent
> that I'll never be able to find that time so I'm going to have to step
> down as maintainer of MacVim.
>
> My apologies for taking so long to announce this.  I did spend a few
> days recently trying to fix some of the issues appearing on Yosemite
> but I've not in that time been able to come up with a satisfactory
> solution.  This was perhaps the turning point where I realized I would
> never be able to find enough time to keep up.
>
> If anybody is interested in taking over as maintainer, please let me
> know and I'll fill you in on the workflow I've used to update Vim
> patches and release snapshots etc.
>
> Björn

Re: MacVim maintenance

Adam Horner
Björn,

Thanks for all your work on MacVim, it has been a massive donation of time and talent, not to mention your patience with questions to this list. I use MacVim every day, most of the day and I’d like to acknowledge the incredible contribution you’ve given to the community of users on the mac platform over the years.

Thank you,
Adam.

On 21 Jan 2015, at 18:05, Björn Winckler <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tim Gray
On Jan 21, 2015 at 07:05 PM +0100, Björn Winckler wrote:
>If anybody is interested in taking over as maintainer, please let me
>know and I'll fill you in on the workflow I've used to update Vim
>patches and release snapshots etc.

Thank you for all the excellent work you've done over the years.  I use
MacVim daily and have since 2011.  Switching to Vim was quite a
revelation and having a Vim that played nicely with OS X made it that
much better for my purposes.

I hope someone picks up where Björn left off and continues maintenance.

Tim

Re: MacVim maintenance

Chris Lott

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Björn Winckler <[hidden email]> wrote:
For quite some time now I have been unable to keep up with maintaining
MacVim and I've constantly been thinking that during the "next"
holidays I'll fix the outstanding issues.  It is becoming apparent
that I'll never be able to find that time so I'm going to have to step
down as maintainer of MacVim.

Thank you for all your work on MacVim, Björn. I've been a heavy user of MacVim for a few years. You're a Vim-Hero!

I wish I had the skills and time to help keep the project going!

Chris Lott <[hidden email]>

Re: MacVim maintenance

Andrew Stewart

On 21 Jan 2015, at 19:05, Björn Winckler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For quite some time now I have been unable to keep up with maintaining
> MacVim and I've constantly been thinking that during the "next"
> holidays I'll fix the outstanding issues.  It is becoming apparent
> that I'll never be able to find that time so I'm going to have to step
> down as maintainer of MacVim.

Thank you very much Björn for all your work on MacVim and the mailing list.  I use MacVim practically all day every day and I am most grateful.

Yours,
Andrew Stewart

Re: MacVim maintenance

Rick Dooling-2
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 12:05:50 PM UTC-6, björn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For quite some time now I have been unable to keep up with maintaining
> MacVim and I've constantly been thinking that during the "next"
> holidays I'll fix the outstanding issues.  It is becoming apparent
> that I'll never be able to find that time so I'm going to have to step
> down as maintainer of MacVim.
>
> My apologies for taking so long to announce this.  I did spend a few
> days recently trying to fix some of the issues appearing on Yosemite
> but I've not in that time been able to come up with a satisfactory
> solution.  This was perhaps the turning point where I realized I would
> never be able to find enough time to keep up.
>
> If anybody is interested in taking over as maintainer, please let me
> know and I'll fill you in on the workflow I've used to update Vim
> patches and release snapshots etc.
>
> Björn
Dear Björn:

I spend most of my day in MacVim doing all kinds of writing, and now that I count the years, I moved to Mac in 2008, so have been the lucky beneficiary of all of your hard work for seven plus years. Unlike most people here, I'm not a programmer really (a Python amateur at best), just a heavy user for writing my books, screenplays, and classroom materials.

In 7-8 years, I can't recall a MacVim crash. Ever. Once I forgot to comment out a line in my .vimrc and I got some kind of a blank screen, but that was MY fault. And it made me realize, "This thing NEVER breaks."

Such great work and deeply appreciated.

Richard Dooling

Re: MacVim maintenance

Douglas Drumond
Hi all,

There's no amount of e-mail or words to express my gratitude towards what Björn did. MacVim brings vim to a whole new level, the best editor with the best GUI.

As in the movie A Beautiful Mind:
Hansen: So how about it, Nash? You scared?
Nash: Terrified... mortified... petrified... stupefied.

Björn made such a great work that set the bar so high for me. I'll try my best to keep the good work.

Just a quick first note, though, I intend to publish a new snapshot with the new vim patches until next week.

--
Douglas Drumond

Re: MacVim maintenance

Björn Winckler
Hi,

Great response. Thanks guys.

I forgot to say that Douglas is taking over maintenance (thanks to
amadeusdemarzi who also offered to help).  Douglas has been releasing
snapshots for "older" versions of OS X for a while now so it is great
that he'll take over.

Best wishes,
Björn

P.S. Douglas, I tried applying the latest Vim patches a few days ago
but there is some breakage related to the ":macaction" command, in
particular ":maca addNewTab:" didn't work.  Email me if you run into
problems.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Douglas Drumond
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> There's no amount of e-mail or words to express my gratitude towards what
> Björn did. MacVim brings vim to a whole new level, the best editor with the
> best GUI.
>
> As in the movie A Beautiful Mind:
> Hansen: So how about it, Nash? You scared?
> Nash: Terrified... mortified... petrified... stupefied.
>
> Björn made such a great work that set the bar so high for me. I'll try my
> best to keep the good work.
>
> Just a quick first note, though, I intend to publish a new snapshot with the
> new vim patches until next week.
>
> --
> Douglas Drumond

> ---
> email to [hidden email].

Re: MacVim maintenance

Yuma Antoine Decaux
I just wanted to thank everyone for keeping mac vim maintained, as a blind programmer.

Cheers,

P.S:

Yuma Antoine Decaux
"Light has no value without darkness"
Mob: +612102277190
Skype: Shainobi1

<[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

There's no amount of e-mail or words to express my gratitude towards what
Björn did. MacVim brings vim to a whole new level, the best editor with the
best GUI.

As in the movie A Beautiful Mind:
Hansen: So how about it, Nash? You scared?
Nash: Terrified... mortified... petrified... stupefied.

Björn made such a great work that set the bar so high for me. I'll try my
best to keep the good work.

Just a quick first note, though, I intend to publish a new snapshot with the
new vim patches until next week.

--
Douglas Drumond

email to [hidden email].

Re: MacVim maintenance

Yan Zhou
I just want to thank everyone, esp. Bjorn, for the hard work all these years. I have been using MacVim ever since it first appears years ago and I cannot imagine without it.

Douglas, thanks for maintaining MacVim for the future. Just a quick question, will there be a new repo or shall we keep watch the old one?

Re: MacVim maintenance

Douglas Drumond

I made a fork to github.com/douglasdrumond/macvim (back when I was just doing the other builds), I'll keep using it. The page at code.google.com/p/macvim will point to it.

--
Douglas Drumond

Re: MacVim maintenance

amadeusdemarzi
So what's the status on this now that it's been taken over. Is there a place where we can monitor updates, etc?

There's still been no activity.

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 12:49:36 AM UTC-8, Douglas Drumond wrote:

> > Douglas, thanks for maintaining MacVim for the future. Just a quick question, will there be a new repo or shall we keep watch the old one?
>

> I made a fork to github.com/douglasdrumond/macvim (back when I was just doing the other builds), I'll keep using it. The page at code.google.com/p/macvim will point to it.
>

> --
> Douglas Drumond

Re: MacVim maintenance

Douglas Drumond

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 5:55 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So what's the status on this now that it's been taken over. Is there a place where we can monitor updates, etc?
>
> There's still been no activity.

Sorry for delaying this, I was preparing a course for work and there were a lot of things to be done before the holidays (next week is a big holiday in Brazil, it goes from next Saturday until Wednesday).

I'm right now working on this. So, for sure, until the holidays is the limit.

I set up a Twitter account for status update: https://twitter.com/macvim_status

--
Douglas Drumond

Re: MacVim maintenance

Dado Feigenblatt-2
Douglas, apparently that twitter account has been suspended.

Thanks,
Dado

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 12:30 AM, Dado Feigenblatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Douglas, apparently that twitter account has been suspended.
>
> Thanks,
> Dado

I don't know what happened, I created the account, followed my other account and got suspended for suspicious activity (usually it occurs when one follows and unfollows several accounts in a short period of time). Anyway, I just had to enter a captcha and it's working now.

--
Douglas Drumond

Re: MacVim maintenance

amadeusdemarzi
Awesome, thanks for the update!

On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 6:39:26 PM UTC-8, Douglas Drumond wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 12:30 AM, Dado Feigenblatt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Douglas, apparently that twitter account has been suspended.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dado
>

> I don't know what happened, I created the account, followed my other account and got suspended for suspicious activity (usually it occurs when one follows and unfollows several accounts in a short period of time). Anyway, I just had to enter a captcha and it's working now.
>

> --
> Douglas Drumond

Re: MacVim maintenance

Holger Rapp
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 7:05:50 PM UTC+1, björn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For quite some time now I have been unable to keep up with maintaining
> MacVim and I've constantly been thinking that during the "next"
> holidays I'll fix the outstanding issues.  It is becoming apparent
> that I'll never be able to find that time so I'm going to have to step
> down as maintainer of MacVim.
>
> My apologies for taking so long to announce this.  I did spend a few
> days recently trying to fix some of the issues appearing on Yosemite
> but I've not in that time been able to come up with a satisfactory
> solution.  This was perhaps the turning point where I realized I would
> never be able to find enough time to keep up.
>
> If anybody is interested in taking over as maintainer, please let me
> know and I'll fill you in on the workflow I've used to update Vim
> patches and release snapshots etc.
>
> Björn
Björn, thanks for your hard work on MacVim. Also bravo for realizing that you cannot keep up and handing it over, that takes quite some insight!

Douglas, thanks for taking over! A chance we might see neovim now in MacVim 8).

Re: MacVim maintenance

Yan Zhou
I don't think you will have that chance. MacVim is always Vim, and MacVim version number is the Vim version number. Of course this is not my decision to make, but I will be very surprised if MacVim ever stop tracking Vim in the foreseeable future.