MacVim maintenance

12

Re: MacVim maintenance

Douglas Drumond

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 8:42 AM, Yan Zhou <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't think you will have that chance. MacVim is always Vim, and MacVim version number is the Vim version number. Of course this is not my decision to make, but I will be very surprised if MacVim ever stop tracking Vim in the foreseeable future.

​I don't intend to migrate MacVim to Neovim, I'll follow the guidelines already stablished (for instance, once in a while someone will ask to change the icon and my answer == Björn's answer).
Maybe in the future there will be two projects, MacVim and MacNeovim.

Macvim console

Yuma Antoine Decaux
Hi Everyone,

I’m the blind coder who lovs vim more than his cat of recent date.

I wanted to see how the console was being output when running actions as I cannot read the results anywhere in mac vbim and would like to find a method to have it announced through either say in the command line or even integrate it into the macvim environment.

This will be very useful for me as I am starting another semester at uni and eclipse not being accessible, I use mac vim and eclim for this purpose.

I am also willing to help somewhat, at least to render a few things more intuitive for screen readers on mac vim.

Kudos in any case. This avoids me from using windows and its horrible screen reader.

Best regards,

Yuma Antoine Decaux
"Light has no value without darkness"
Mob: +612102277190
Skype: Shainobi1

On 27/01/2015, at 12:16 am, Björn Winckler <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Great response. Thanks guys.

I forgot to say that Douglas is taking over maintenance (thanks to
amadeusdemarzi who also offered to help).  Douglas has been releasing
snapshots for "older" versions of OS X for a while now so it is great
that he'll take over.

Best wishes,
Björn

P.S. Douglas, I tried applying the latest Vim patches a few days ago
but there is some breakage related to the ":macaction" command, in
particular ":maca addNewTab:" didn't work.  Email me if you run into
problems.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Douglas Drumond
<[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

There's no amount of e-mail or words to express my gratitude towards what
Björn did. MacVim brings vim to a whole new level, the best editor with the
best GUI.

As in the movie A Beautiful Mind:
Hansen: So how about it, Nash? You scared?
Nash: Terrified... mortified... petrified... stupefied.

Björn made such a great work that set the bar so high for me. I'll try my
best to keep the good work.

Just a quick first note, though, I intend to publish a new snapshot with the
new vim patches until next week.

--
Douglas Drumond

email to [hidden email].

MacVim maintenance

A-Dubb
I too am grateful for MacVim and rely on it for my daily coding chores. I want to thank bjorn and the community for all the support and contributions. Vim reminds me of the Old Spice commercial (smell like a man, man). And I thank you.

Re: MacVim maintenance

Jeet Sukumaran
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 1:05:50 PM UTC-5, björn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For quite some time now I have been unable to keep up with maintaining
> MacVim and I've constantly been thinking that during the "next"
> holidays I'll fix the outstanding issues.  It is becoming apparent
> that I'll never be able to find that time so I'm going to have to step
> down as maintainer of MacVim.
>
> My apologies for taking so long to announce this.  I did spend a few
> days recently trying to fix some of the issues appearing on Yosemite
> but I've not in that time been able to come up with a satisfactory
> solution.  This was perhaps the turning point where I realized I would
> never be able to find enough time to keep up.
>
> If anybody is interested in taking over as maintainer, please let me
> know and I'll fill you in on the workflow I've used to update Vim
> patches and release snapshots etc.
>
> Björn
Thank you so much, Björn, for all your hard work and effort. Really, really, really, really appreciated!

And thank you, too, Douglas Drumond and others for taking on the task: really, really, really, really, appreciated as well!

Re: MacVim maintenance

Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza
Indeed, thanks Björn, I use MacVim everyday and prefer it by far over the terminal based solution.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the same repo on GitHub (instead of a fork)? That way Pull Requests and issues are also kept along with the project.

Thanks for volunteering Douglas!

Yoshiki.

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 12:49:36 AM UTC-8, Douglas Drumond wrote:

> > Douglas, thanks for maintaining MacVim for the future. Just a quick question, will there be a new repo or shall we keep watch the old one?
>

> I made a fork to github.com/douglasdrumond/macvim (back when I was just doing the other builds), I'll keep using it. The page at code.google.com/p/macvim will point to it.
>

> --
> Douglas Drumond

Re: MacVim maintenance

Douglas Drumond

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 10:27 PM, Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to use the same repo on GitHub (instead of a fork)? That way Pull Requests and issues are also kept along with the project.

​I guess it would make sense to change it one more time: create an organization called macvim (or something related) and fork it there. Then when someone takes over macvim, it's just a matter of setting up permissions.​

Re: MacVim maintenance

Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza
Right, using an organization makes sense. Also note that in github repos are transferrable, so once this organization exists, the repo (from Björn's account) can be transferred there.

Thanks!

Yoshiki Vázquez-Baeza

On Mar 4, 2015, at 7:23 PM, Douglas Drumond <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 10:27 PM, Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to use the same repo on GitHub (instead of a fork)? That way Pull Requests and issues are also kept along with the project.

​I guess it would make sense to change it one more time: create an organization called macvim (or something related) and fork it there. Then when someone takes over macvim, it's just a matter of setting up permissions.​

Re: MacVim maintenance

Douglas Drumond
It's now on an organization:

https://github.com/macvim-dev/macvim/

Unfortunately, macvim was already taken.

Re: MacVim maintenance

glts
Hi Douglas,

On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 1:54:27 AM UTC+1, Douglas Drumond wrote:
> It's now on an organization:
>
> https://github.com/macvim-dev/macvim/
>
> Unfortunately, macvim was already taken.

I learnt the other day that GitHub has a 'name squatting policy'.

https://help.github.com/articles/name-squatting-policy/

The 'MacVim' account on GitHub seems inactive, so perhaps there's still
a chance to get it.

Best,

--
David

Re: MacVim maintenance

Douglas Drumond

> I learnt the other day that GitHub has a 'name squatting policy'.
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/name-squatting-policy/
>
> The 'MacVim' account on GitHub seems inactive, so perhaps there's still
> a chance to get it.

Thank you for letting me know, I submitted a request. Let's see if we can get the name.

Re: MacVim maintenance

Shirk

Speaking of the Github organization,

is there any way for devs willing to help out on the maintenance / bug squashing to join?

Regards,

René

Re: MacVim maintenance

Douglas Drumond

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 5:49 AM, René Köcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

is there any way for devs willing to help out on the maintenance / bug squashing to join?

​Sure, just submit a pull request. Any help is welcomed. There's a list of bugs on code.google.com/p/macvim that I need to move to GitHub (since Google Code is shutting down), but I didn't have time for that yet.
​Regards,​

Re: MacVim maintenance

Keyan
Thank you very much for your effort! I use MacVim since I moved to Mac in 2008.

On Wednesday, 21 January 2015 19:05:50 UTC+1, björn  wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For quite some time now I have been unable to keep up with maintaining
> MacVim and I've constantly been thinking that during the "next"
> holidays I'll fix the outstanding issues.  It is becoming apparent
> that I'll never be able to find that time so I'm going to have to step
> down as maintainer of MacVim.
>
> My apologies for taking so long to announce this.  I did spend a few
> days recently trying to fix some of the issues appearing on Yosemite
> but I've not in that time been able to come up with a satisfactory
> solution.  This was perhaps the turning point where I realized I would
> never be able to find enough time to keep up.
>
> If anybody is interested in taking over as maintainer, please let me
> know and I'll fill you in on the workflow I've used to update Vim
> patches and release snapshots etc.
>
> Björn

Re: MacVim maintenance

Charles
I appreciate @douglasdrumond's heroic effort to catch us up many patchlevels.

However, it would be best if we never got behind to such a degree that it
requires a heroic effort to catch up.

Here were are, already more than 60 patches behind.  That's a LOT, even
for MacVim (even though it's less than in recent months).

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that there be more frequent *snapshots*.
I don't use snapshots, I build from source whenever it's updated.

I don't know any C, or anything about Vim's code, but if there's a way I
can help keep on top of things, please let me know.  Perhaps if there's a
section on the wiki that explains which sections of the code are free of
Vim/MacVim conflict, I and others could make github PRs for most Vim
patches.  Or perhaps @douglasdrumond can post the workflow involved in
doing this.

-Charles

Re: MacVim maintenance

Andrew Stewart
On 26 Mar 2015, at 00:30, "Charles" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know any C, or anything about Vim's code, but if there's a way I
> can help keep on top of things, please let me know.  Perhaps if there's a
> section on the wiki that explains which sections of the code are free of
> Vim/MacVim conflict, I and others could make github PRs for most Vim
> patches.  Or perhaps @douglasdrumond can post the workflow involved in
> doing this.

I also don't know anything about C or Vim's code but a few months ago I figured out how to update MacVim's patchlevel.  Here are the raw notes I made at the time:

----8<----

[1] b4winckler/macvim - 7.4.383
[2] b4winckler/vim    - 7.4.430
[3] vim               - 7.4.542

we want to bring [1] up to date with [3].

ideally we'd merge [3] directly into [1] but i can't see how to do that without losing macvim-specific stuff.
instead:
A: diff [2] and [1] and apply to [1]
B: diff [3] and [2] and apply to [1']

## Clone vim's repo [3] as a git repo

we don't do this the way recommended on b4winckler/vim/wiki (using mercurial and the hg-git mercurial extension).
instead we use git with the "semi-official" git-remote-hg remote helper.

Install git-remote-hg as per instructions (https://github.com/felipec/git-remote-hg)
$ git clone hg::https://code.google.com/p/vim/
$ git gc --aggressive
$ git remote add github https://github.com/airblade/vim.git (new, empty repo)
$ git push github master

## Clone macvim's repo [1] and add [2] and [3] as remotes

$ git clone https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim.git
$ cd macvim
$ git remote add b4winckler-vim https://github.com/b4winckler/vim.git
$ git remote add airblade-vim https://github.com/airblade/vim.git
$ git fetch

## A

method 1 (this method squashes all the individual commits together)

$ git diff HEAD...b4winckler-vim/master > a.diff
$ git apply --reject a.diff

mostly applies but a few rejects (mostly perl stuff - see 7.4.409)

$ find . -name '*.rej' -print
./runtime/doc/tags.rej
./src/auto/configure.rej
./src/config.mk.in.rej
./src/configure.in.rej
./src/Makefile.rej
./src/option.c.rej
./src/structs.h.rej

fix up by hand, remove the *.rej files, then generate a new clean diff

$ git add -A
$ git diff --staged > a-clean.diff
$ git commit -m "Patchlevel 430"

method 2 (probably better)

$ git merge b4winckler-vim/master

a few merge conflicts (mostly perl stuff)
for each conflicted file:
        fix conflict
        git add the fixed file
when all conflicts fixed, finish merge with

$ git commit

generate patch with

$ git diff HEAD^ > a-clean.diff

## B

method 1 (this method squashes all the individual commits together)

$ git diff b4winckler-vim/master...airblade-vim/master > b.diff
$ git apply --reject b.diff

mostly applies but a few rejects

$ find . -name '*.rej' -print
./runtime/doc/tags.rej
./src/ex_cmds.h.rej
./src/if_ruby.c.rej
./src/misc2.c.rej
./src/vim.h.rej

fix up by hand, remove the *.rej files, then generate a new clean diff

$ git add -A
$ git diff --staged > b-clean.diff
$ git commit -m "Patchlevel 542"

method 2 (probably better)

[i can't figure out how to make this work without losing all the macvim-specific stuff]

$ git co -b foo b4winckler-vim/master
$ git merge airblade-vim/master

leads to 150 add-add merge conflicts...i don't understand why

## Upload {a,b}-clean.diff somewhere and `brew edit macvim` adding

head do
patch do
  url 'file:///Users/andy/code/buildingvim/a-clean.diff'
  sha1 '2086b634bb7a2d3c5a079830e66d50184a1c7eb3'
end
patch do
  url 'file:///Users/andy/code/buildingvim/b-clean.diff'
  sha1 '8c696f81903ed910db637fd30a25dea00b95438f'
end
end

i also had to remove `--enable-perlinterp` from compile args around line 55
presumably i messed up the perl stuff when cleaning the rejected patches

## voila

$ brew uninstall macvim
$ brew intall macvim --custom-icons --HEAD
$ brew linkapps

## When vim is updated

we could do B all over again but it takes a while to fix the rejected patches
(either automate this or) better to diff B and let's call it C

$ cd /path/to/vim-clone
$ git pull
$ git push github master
[erm]
$ git diff e62677eac > c.diff
$ cd /path/to/macvim-clone
$ git apply --reject /path/to/c.diff
etc

----8<----

I'd like to hear of better ways to do this!  Or even see MacVim merged into main Vim as someone else suggested.

Yours,
Andy Stewart

Re: MacVim maintenance

Douglas Drumond
Since Vim is moving to GitHub [1], I'll update my workflow and publish guides for anyone willing to help join the effort. It's not good to depend on just one person, for instance, this month I worked a lot overtime, so MacVim is several patches behind. If we divide efforts, we can also look into improving the Mac side of MacVim instead of just keeping up with Vim. Let's see if I can get something this weekend (still a little bit tough, lot of things to finish before April).

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_dev/Io5A_Zir--k/discussion

Re: MacVim maintenance

Shirk-2
Sorry for reviving this thread but I'm curious about how to join the Github organization?
Since I'm more or less responsible for the current ligature support in the CT renderer it would be nice to join ;)

Re: MacVim maintenance

Kazuki Sakamoto-2
Hey Shirk, there are no particular ways to join MacVim organization.
But I'll add you to the organization if you are actively enough to
maintain MacVim (sending pull requests, reviewing pull requests,
answering questions, etc).

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 5:56 AM, Shirk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry for reviving this thread but I'm curious about how to join the Github organization?
> Since I'm more or less responsible for the current ligature support in the CT renderer it would be nice to join ;)

> ---

Re: MacVim maintenance

Shirk-2
On Sunday, December 13, 2015 at 5:12:04 PM UTC+1, sakamoto wrote:
> Hey Shirk, there are no particular ways to join MacVim organization.
> But I'll add you to the organization if you are actively enough to
> maintain MacVim (sending pull requests, reviewing pull requests,
> answering questions, etc).

OK, I keep looking over the issues / pr section and also working on further improving the ligatures support.

12