MacVim r128 vs r129

Björn Winckler
r128 had a problem with MMCellWidthMultiplierKey and since I noticed it just after I uploaded r128 I thought I may as well fix it and upload a new version before people start downloading it.  The only difference between r129 and r128 is that said user default works with r129...so you won't notice a difference between the two unless you change that user default.

Sorry for the confusion,
/Björn

Re: MacVim r128 vs r129

robert h-2

Are there fewer toolbar buttons in this one or are my eyes playing
tricks on me?

Robert

Re: MacVim r128 vs r129

Björn Winckler

Are there fewer toolbar buttons in this one or are my eyes playing
tricks on me?

Ah, yes, the new features list was kind of long this time around, but this item does answer your question:

- System [g]vimrc changes: e.g. <D-w> maps to :q instead of :tabclose; I removed some items from the toolbar so that all items were visible at the default window size; nocompatible is set by default, and syntax highlighting is on by default.

The cut/copy/paste and find items were removed since I judged these to be the least useful on the toolbar.  Any objections?

Note that menus and the toolbar are _not_ finalized...the menus especially need to change to conform to the HIG, but I haven't really felt up to the task of sorting this out yet.  There are still some issues with the menus that I haven't figured out how to deal with yet, for instance:
- greying out items when they're not applicable, e.g. "Next/Previous Tab" when only one tab is open
- changing menu key equivalents depending on state, e.g. a "Close Window" item (removed in r129) should have key equiv <D-W> if there is more than one tab or vim window, otherwise it should have key equiv <D-w>

/Björn

Re: MacVim r128 vs r129

Nico Weber-3

Hi,

> The cut/copy/paste and find items were removed since I judged these
> to be the least useful on the toolbar.  Any objections?

I use paste from time to time (linux/gtk). I've never used another
toolbar button. There's also scientfic data that backs me up: http://
blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2006/04/07/570798.aspx ;-)

Just my 2 cents,
Nico

Re: MacVim r128 vs r129

Björn Winckler
> The cut/copy/paste and find items were removed since I judged these
> to be the least useful on the toolbar.  Any objections?

I use paste from time to time (linux/gtk). I've never used another
toolbar button. There's also scientfic data that backs me up: http://
blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2006/04/07/570798.aspx ;-)

Interesting.

Ok, so according to that article we should have paste/copy/cut on the toolbar.  But is that data at all relevant to Vim?  This might be a wild guess, but it seems that your average Vim user and your average Office user are two different beasts entirely. :)

I don't think I ever clicked on a toolbar button in any version of Vim except when I was checking to see if the MacVim toolbar buttons worked, so I am a very poor judge as to what should be on the toolbar.  Is there anybody who uses any buttons on the toolbar, if so, please let me know which buttons you like to be on there.

Of course, I could leave the toolbar the way it is, but I strongly dislike not having all icons fit at the default window size.  (What's the point to have an item on the toolbar if you have to go to the overflow menu to get at it? You may as well use the main menu then.)

/Björn

Re: MacVim r128 vs r129

aip.schaefer@googlemail.com

Am Montag, den 13.08.2007, 11:28 +0200 schrieb björn:

>         > The cut/copy/paste and find items were removed since I
>         judged these
>         > to be the least useful on the toolbar.  Any objections?
>
>         I use paste from time to time (linux/gtk). I've never used
>         another
>         toolbar button. There's also scientfic data that backs me up:
>         http://
>         blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2006/04/07/570798.aspx ;-)
>
> Interesting.
>
> Ok, so according to that article we should have paste/copy/cut on the
> toolbar.  But is that data at all relevant to Vim?  This might be a
> wild guess, but it seems that your average Vim user and your average
> Office user are two different beasts entirely. :)
>

> I don't think I ever clicked on a toolbar button in any version of Vim
> except when I was checking to see if the MacVim toolbar buttons
> worked, so I am a very poor judge as to what should be on the toolbar.
> Is there anybody who uses any buttons on the toolbar, if so, please
> let me know which buttons you like to be on there.
>
> Of course, I could leave the toolbar the way it is, but I strongly
> dislike not having all icons fit at the default window size.  (What's
> the point to have an item on the toolbar if you have to go to the
> overflow menu to get at it? You may as well use the main menu then.)
>
> /Björn

Hello Björn, I used those buttons on any gvim Variants I've come around,
because my impression was that it was the most consistent way, when
using gvim on Windows, Linux and Mac OS, especially when pasting
external data from other applications.

Please have them :-)

ciao,
André

Re: MacVim r128 vs r129

Björn Winckler

Hello Björn, I used those buttons on any gvim Variants I've come around,
because my impression was that it was the most consistent way, when
using gvim on Windows, Linux and Mac OS, especially when pasting
external data from other applications.

Everything fits nicely (but not with ':set tbis=large') if I remove the find related icons (3), the ctags icons (2), and find help (1), and keep everything else.  Will anybody miss any of those icons?  Would you rather I removed something else?

/Björn