MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9

Björn Winckler
Hi,

I have uploaded a new release on MacVim:

https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/releases

Since I've upgraded my Mac to OS X 10.9 I will from now only be
maintaining binaries for this version of OS X.  If anybody wants to
provide binaries for OS X 10.6 (which I used to build for) then please
let me know.

Douglas: will you be able to continue providing builds for 10.7 and 10.8?

Note that there are APIs related to text rendering which were
deprecated in 10.9 that are currently used by MacVim.  I'm not sure if
there will be runtime warnings about this, but in any case I will
migrate away from those APIs in the future.

Björn

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9

Michael Grubb
Yes there are run-time warnings:
Oct 25 13:25:53 macbook MacVim[15393] <Error>: The function `CGContextErase' is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance.

On Friday, October 25, 2013 1:23:02 PM UTC-5, björn wrote:

> Hi,
>
>
>
> I have uploaded a new release on MacVim:
>
>
>
> https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/releases
>
>
>
> Since I've upgraded my Mac to OS X 10.9 I will from now only be
>
> maintaining binaries for this version of OS X.  If anybody wants to
>
> provide binaries for OS X 10.6 (which I used to build for) then please
>
> let me know.
>
>
>
> Douglas: will you be able to continue providing builds for 10.7 and 10.8?
>
>
>
> Note that there are APIs related to text rendering which were
>
> deprecated in 10.9 that are currently used by MacVim.  I'm not sure if
>
> there will be runtime warnings about this, but in any case I will
>
> migrate away from those APIs in the future.
>
>
>
> Björn

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9

Björn Winckler
On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Michael Grubb wrote:
> Yes there are run-time warnings:
> Oct 25 13:25:53 macbook MacVim[15393] <Error>: The function `CGContextErase' is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance.

Oh my ... these runtime warnings are so obnoxious.  Well, my apologies
for this and I will try to get this sorted.  Unfortunately there is no
equivalent function to replace the deprecated one so it requires using
a whole new approach to text rendering.

I find the best way to work around the warnings is to start MacVim
from the Finder and leave it running (i.e. you can close windows, but
not quit the whole app).  Then you can open files from Terminal
without any warnings (or at least, that used to be the case).

Björn

P.S. A reminder to everybody on this list to please refrain from top
posting. That is, type your reply below the text you are replying to
and remove irrelevant text from the original.  Thanks!

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9

Douglas Drumond
In reply to this post by Björn Winckler

> Douglas: will you be able to continue providing builds for 10.7 and 10.8?

Yep, I still have access to a 10.8 machine at work and 10.7 at home.

I just uploaded a build for 10.8 compiled in a machine with just Xcode and default tools, so no homebrew, no rvm, just system python and ruby, so I hope there's no problem this time. If something goes wrong, please let me know.

At home I'll build for 10.7 and post here when it's done.

They're at the usual place: https://github.com/eee19/macvim/releases


Douglas

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Bee
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9

Bee
In reply to this post by Björn Winckler
On Friday, October 25, 2013 11:23:02 AM UTC-7, björn wrote:
...
> Since I've upgraded my Mac to OS X 10.9 I will from now only be
> maintaining binaries for this version of OS X. If anybody wants
> to provide binaries for OS X 10.6 (which I used to build for)
> then please let me know.
...
> Björn

I have compiled MacVim 72 from the master zip for:
10.6.8 intel 64bit
10.6.8 intel 32bit
10.4.11 ppc g3

They were compiled using:
./configure && make

Then MacVim.app compressed by Mac's zip

Which would you like?
Where and how to post?

Bill

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9

Björn Winckler
On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Bee wrote:

> On Friday, October 25, 2013 11:23:02 AM UTC-7, björn wrote:
> ...
>> Since I've upgraded my Mac to OS X 10.9 I will from now only be
>> maintaining binaries for this version of OS X. If anybody wants
>> to provide binaries for OS X 10.6 (which I used to build for)
>> then please let me know.
> ...
>> Björn
>
> I have compiled MacVim 72 from the master zip for:
> 10.6.8 intel 64bit
> 10.6.8 intel 32bit
> 10.4.11 ppc g3
>
> They were compiled using:
> ./configure && make
>
> Then MacVim.app compressed by Mac's zip
>
> Which would you like?
> Where and how to post?

Thanks!

I have a build script which I've distributed to Douglas, which he can
maybe share with you (otherwise I'll dig it up again).  Then the
easiest method of distribution is to fork the macvim project on GitHub
and create a "GitHub release" which contains the binary.

Duncan, it would be great if you could share your experience in
setting this up with Bill.

Björn

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9

Björn Winckler
In reply to this post by Björn Winckler
On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 8:34 PM, björn wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Michael Grubb wrote:
>> Yes there are run-time warnings:
>> Oct 25 13:25:53 macbook MacVim[15393] <Error>: The function `CGContextErase' is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance.
>
> Oh my ... these runtime warnings are so obnoxious.  Well, my apologies
> for this and I will try to get this sorted.  Unfortunately there is no
> equivalent function to replace the deprecated one so it requires using
> a whole new approach to text rendering.

I had another look and managed to avoid using deprecated CGContext..
functions.  Check the latest commit in the repo.

However, I am not calling CGContextErase() anywhere so I'm not
entirely clear as to why that warning is popping up.  For some reason
I never get that warning message myself.

Björn

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9

Douglas Drumond
In reply to this post by Douglas Drumond

2013/10/25 Douglas Drumond <[hidden email]>
At home I'll build for 10.7 and post here when it's done.
 



--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9

Janusz Bossy
On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 12:58 AM, Douglas Drumond
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I uploaded Lion build to https://github.com/eee19/macvim/releases

Just out of curiosity: why do we need different build for every version of OS X?

--
Regards,
Janusz Bossy

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9

Douglas Drumond

2013/10/26 Janusz Bossy <[hidden email]>
Just out of curiosity: why do we need different build for every version of OS X?

Newer versions won't work in older Macs and cross-compiling is too much of a hassle because of different python and ruby versions. I'm not sure if older versions of MacVim work fine in newer versions of Mac OS X (I had no problems running ML build in Mavericks).


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9 (on 10.5 and 10.6)

Axel Kielhorn-2
In reply to this post by Björn Winckler

Am 26.10.2013 um 20:54 schrieb björn:

> I had another look and managed to avoid using deprecated CGContext..
> functions.  Check the latest commit in the repo.

I build this version on 10.6.8 and it compiles and seems to work fine.
(I’m using the Core Text renderer.)

Building on 10.5.8 (PPC) failed with:

cp -pR MacVim-*.icns "/Volumes/Diotima/src/macvim/src/MacVim/build/Release/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources"/
** BUILD FAILED **

The following build commands failed:
PSMTabBarControlFramework:
        CopyTiffFile /Volumes/Diotima/src/macvim/src/MacVim/PSMTabBarControl/../build/Release/PSMTabBarControl.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AquaTabClose_Front_Pressed.tif images/AquaTabClose_Front_Pressed.tif

On 10.6.8 I have TIFF Files, on 10.5.8 I only have PNG Files


        CopyTiffFile /Volumes/Diotima/src/macvim/src/MacVim/PSMTabBarControl/../build/Release/PSMTabBarControl.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AquaTabClose_Front_Rollover.tif images/AquaTabClose_Front_Rollover.tif
        CopyTiffFile /Volumes/Diotima/src/macvim/src/MacVim/PSMTabBarControl/../build/Release/PSMTabBarControl.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AquaTabClose_Front.tif images/AquaTabClose_Front.tif
        CopyTiffFile /Volumes/Diotima/src/macvim/src/MacVim/PSMTabBarControl/../build/Release/PSMTabBarControl.framework/Versions/A/Resources/TabIcon.tif images/TabIcon.tif
        CopyTiffFile /Volumes/Diotima/src/macvim/src/MacVim/PSMTabBarControl/../build/Release/PSMTabBarControl.framework/Versions/A/Resources/TabControlRep.tif images/TabControlRep.tif
MacVim:
        CopyStringsFile /Volumes/Diotima/src/macvim/src/MacVim/build/Release/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings
        CopyPlistFile /Volumes/Diotima/src/macvim/src/MacVim/build/Release/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/Colors.plist Colors.plist
        CopyPlistFile /Volumes/Diotima/src/macvim/src/MacVim/build/Release/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/Actions.plist Actions.plist
        CopyPlistFile /Volumes/Diotima/src/macvim/src/MacVim/build/Release/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/SystemColors.plist SystemColors.plist
        CopyPlistFile /Volumes/Diotima/src/macvim/src/MacVim/build/Release/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/KeyBinding.plist KeyBinding.plist
(10 failures)

To be sure I re-cloned the repository but the failures remain.
When I copy the files manually (taking the tiffs from the 10.6.8 machine) I get a working Vim.

On 10.5.8 I have Python 2.5.1, on 10.6.8 I have Python 2.6.1, in case that matters.

Axel

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9

Janusz Bossy
In reply to this post by Douglas Drumond
On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 1:25 AM, Douglas Drumond
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Newer versions won't work in older Macs and cross-compiling is too much of a
> hassle because of different python and ruby versions.

I assume this is related to Vim, not MacVim? Apple does make it ease
for the developers to compile apps that run on all the different
versions of OS X. You just need to setup your build parameters
properly and make sure to properly use the APIs unavailable in
previous versions of the OS.

--
Janusz Bossy

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9

Carl Jacobsen-3
On Oct 27, 2013, at 11:25 AM, Janusz Bossy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 1:25 AM, Douglas Drumond
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Newer versions won't work in older Macs and cross-compiling is too much of a
>> hassle because of different python and ruby versions.
>
> I assume this is related to Vim, not MacVim? Apple does make it ease
> for the developers to compile apps that run on all the different
> versions of OS X. You just need to setup your build parameters
> properly and make sure to properly use the APIs unavailable in
> previous versions of the OS.

Unlike most other apps, MacVim links to the Apple-supplied versions of
Perl, Python, and Ruby, which are something of a moving target between
major OS versions.

If you could demonstrate a way of avoiding this hassle, I'm sure Björn (and
others) would be quite interested.

Cheers,
Carl

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9

Chen Arcthur
In reply to this post by Björn Winckler
在 2013年10月26日星期六UTC+8上午2时23分02秒,björn写道:

> Hi,
>
>
>
> I have uploaded a new release on MacVim:
>
>
>
> https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/releases
>
>
>
> Since I've upgraded my Mac to OS X 10.9 I will from now only be
>
> maintaining binaries for this version of OS X.  If anybody wants to
>
> provide binaries for OS X 10.6 (which I used to build for) then please
>
> let me know.
>
>
>
> Douglas: will you be able to continue providing builds for 10.7 and 10.8?
>
>
>
> Note that there are APIs related to text rendering which were
>
> deprecated in 10.9 that are currently used by MacVim.  I'm not sure if
>
> there will be runtime warnings about this, but in any case I will
>
> migrate away from those APIs in the future.
>
>
>
> Björn

Hi,
    I use this build these days that don't support Chinese and some symbols.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9

Michael Grubb
In reply to this post by Björn Winckler
On Friday, October 25, 2013 1:34:34 PM UTC-5, björn wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Michael Grubb wrote:
>
> > Yes there are run-time warnings:
>
> > Oct 25 13:25:53 macbook MacVim[15393] <Error>: The function `CGContextErase' is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance.
>
>
>
> Oh my ... these runtime warnings are so obnoxious.  Well, my apologies
>
> for this and I will try to get this sorted.  Unfortunately there is no
>
> equivalent function to replace the deprecated one so it requires using
>
> a whole new approach to text rendering.
>
>
>
> I find the best way to work around the warnings is to start MacVim
>
> from the Finder and leave it running (i.e. you can close windows, but
>
> not quit the whole app).  Then you can open files from Terminal
>
> without any warnings (or at least, that used to be the case).
>
>
>
> Björn
>
>
>
> P.S. A reminder to everybody on this list to please refrain from top
>
> posting. That is, type your reply below the text you are replying to
>
> and remove irrelevant text from the original.  Thanks!

Sorry for being so long to reply, but I have gained some insight into the CGContextErase deprecation warnings.

It is occurring for many other applications including core OS apps like Finder and System Preferences and seems to have something to do at lease remotely with Ink.  After running MacVim through Instruments using the System Call instrument and examining the call tree, it appears that CGContextErase is being called by InkInitializeInstanceGraphics.  This is ultimately being called by AcquireEventFromQueue in HIToolbox.  I've opened a bug with Apple #15353586.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacVim snapshot 72 for OS X 10.9

OJ Tibi
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 2:42:18 AM UTC+8, Michael Grubb wrote:

> On Friday, October 25, 2013 1:34:34 PM UTC-5, björn wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Michael Grubb wrote:
> >
> > > Yes there are run-time warnings:
> >
> > > Oct 25 13:25:53 macbook MacVim[15393] <Error>: The function `CGContextErase' is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance.
> >
> >
> >
> > Oh my ... these runtime warnings are so obnoxious.  Well, my apologies
> >
> > for this and I will try to get this sorted.  Unfortunately there is no
> >
> > equivalent function to replace the deprecated one so it requires using
> >
> > a whole new approach to text rendering.
> >
> >
> >
> > I find the best way to work around the warnings is to start MacVim
> >
> > from the Finder and leave it running (i.e. you can close windows, but
> >
> > not quit the whole app).  Then you can open files from Terminal
> >
> > without any warnings (or at least, that used to be the case).
> >
> >
> >
> > Björn
> >
> >
> >
> > P.S. A reminder to everybody on this list to please refrain from top
> >
> > posting. That is, type your reply below the text you are replying to
> >
> > and remove irrelevant text from the original.  Thanks!
>
> Sorry for being so long to reply, but I have gained some insight into the CGContextErase deprecation warnings.
>
> It is occurring for many other applications including core OS apps like Finder and System Preferences and seems to have something to do at lease remotely with Ink.  After running MacVim through Instruments using the System Call instrument and examining the call tree, it appears that CGContextErase is being called by InkInitializeInstanceGraphics.  This is ultimately being called by AcquireEventFromQueue in HIToolbox.  I've opened a bug with Apple #15353586.
Apologies for resurrecting this thread. I just wanted to thank Michael Grubb for his insight. I can confirm that the Ink subsystem initializes the CG calls that we see in warnings after starting MacVim in the terminal. I turned off Ink writing recognition from System Preferences and the CGContextErase warning goes away. Currently on OS X 10.10.1 (Yosemite).

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.