MacVim terminal

Tomáš Znamenáček

Hello!

What are the plans regarding the "terminal" mode that can be run for
example by entering ":! bash"? Currently there is no cursor visible
and pressing the arrow keys messes up the display. Would it take a lot
of work to fix that? I am not going to run Midnight Commander inside
Vim, but I would love to run Hugs, for example. (Which is by all means
possible right now, it just is not the most convenient thing to do.)

T.

Re: MacVim terminal

Jiang Jiang

Hi,

2007/8/19, zoul <[hidden email]>:
> What are the plans regarding the "terminal" mode that can be run for
> example by entering ":! bash"? Currently there is no cursor visible
> and pressing the arrow keys messes up the display. Would it take a lot
> of work to fix that? I am not going to run Midnight Commander inside
> Vim, but I would love to run Hugs, for example. (Which is by all means
> possible right now, it just is not the most convenient thing to do.)

Interesting, I just noticed that vim-cocoa has similar problems. (Current
carbon port shows cursor correctly, though). I think we need some help
from Bram. What kind of functionalities gui_mac should provide to support
this?

- Jiang

Re: MacVim terminal

Björn Winckler

2007/8/19, zoul <[hidden email]>:
> What are the plans regarding the "terminal" mode that can be run for
> example by entering ":! bash"? Currently there is no cursor visible
> and pressing the arrow keys messes up the display. Would it take a lot
> of work to fix that? I am not going to run Midnight Commander inside
> Vim, but I would love to run Hugs, for example. (Which is by all means
> possible right now, it just is not the most convenient thing to do.)

Interesting, I just noticed that vim-cocoa has similar problems. (Current
carbon port shows cursor correctly, though). I think we need some help
from Bram. What kind of functionalities gui_mac should provide to support
this?

I have not looked into "terminal support" myself, but I will add this to my todo list for MacVim.  If you figure out how this should work Jiang, then please let me know as well.

/Björn

Re: MacVim terminal

Jjgod Jiang wrote:

> 2007/8/19, zoul <[hidden email]>:
> > What are the plans regarding the "terminal" mode that can be run for
> > example by entering ":! bash"? Currently there is no cursor visible
> > and pressing the arrow keys messes up the display. Would it take a lot
> > of work to fix that? I am not going to run Midnight Commander inside
> > Vim, but I would love to run Hugs, for example. (Which is by all means
> > possible right now, it just is not the most convenient thing to do.)
>
> Interesting, I just noticed that vim-cocoa has similar problems. (Current
> carbon port shows cursor correctly, though). I think we need some help
> from Bram. What kind of functionalities gui_mac should provide to support
> this?

Currently we only support normal text output, no cursor movement stuff.
Thus "!cat file" should work, but not ":!emacs file" :-)

There have been ideas to add a simple terminal emulator (vt52), so that
gvim can run more complicated commands.  But obviously this isn't easy.
Let's first fix the bugs.

200. You really believe in the concept of a "paperless" office.