Macvim doesn't work properly with chinese input method

Macvim doesn't work properly with chinese input method

Jamie Xie
There is an annoying problem when use macvim with chinese input
method,if I input some chinese characters in insert mode,then press
ESC to return to normal mode,then press hjkl to move around,the
candidate window of my input method will pop up,this is very annoying
since I always don't want to use the input method in normal mode.Why
can't macvim automatically close the IME whenever I return to normal
mode just as gVim in windows does.

I've searched a lot about this problem,but it seems there isn't a
solution to it,Macvim doesn't support imactivatekey.And I've tried set
noime in vimrc,this setting does close IME whenever I switch to normal
mode,but is also made IME in insert mode unavailable.Anyone has a
solution to this problem?

Re: Macvim doesn't work properly with chinese input method

Ben Schmidt
On 26/04/11 10:56 PM, Jerry wrote:

> There is an annoying problem when use macvim with chinese input
> method,if I input some chinese characters in insert mode,then press
> ESC to return to normal mode,then press hjkl to move around,the
> candidate window of my input method will pop up,this is very annoying
> since I always don't want to use the input method in normal mode.Why
> can't macvim automatically close the IME whenever I return to normal
> mode just as gVim in windows does.
>
> I've searched a lot about this problem,but it seems there isn't a
> solution to it,Macvim doesn't support imactivatekey.And I've tried set
> noime in vimrc,this setting does close IME whenever I switch to normal
> mode,but is also made IME in insert mode unavailable.Anyone has a
> solution to this problem?

Try

:set noimdisable

(it seems I needed that) then explicitly set your input method (using the keyboard
layout menu) for Normal mode (e.g. to US), then go into insert mode and change it
(e.g. to Chinese), and from then on MacVim should automatically change it as you
go in and out of insert mode.

I think!

Ben.

Re: Macvim doesn't work properly with chinese input method

Jamie Xie
Ben,Thanks for your reply.

If I set noimdisable,the input method in insert mode is broken,can't input correctly.Wish Macvim to fix this problem.

--
Jamie Xie
Sent with Sparrow

On Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Ben Schmidt wrote:

[...]

Maybe try jiggling the settings in Advanced Preferences (go to the application
menu, and choose preferences, and then go to the advanced tab). One or two of
those have to do with input methods.

Ben.

On 30/04/11 2:59 PM, Jamie Xie wrote:

> Ben,Thanks for your reply.
>
> If I set noimdisable,the input method in insert mode is broken,can't input
> correctly.Wish Macvim to fix this problem.
>
> --
> Jamie Xie
> Sent with Sparrow <http://www.sparrowmailapp.com>
>
> On Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Ben Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On 26/04/11 10:56 PM, Jerry wrote:
>>> There is an annoying problem when use macvim with chinese input
>>> method,if I input some chinese characters in insert mode,then press
>>> ESC to return to normal mode,then press hjkl to move around,the
>>> candidate window of my input method will pop up,this is very annoying
>>> since I always don't want to use the input method in normal mode.Why
>>> can't macvim automatically close the IME whenever I return to normal
>>> mode just as gVim in windows does.
>>>
>>> I've searched a lot about this problem,but it seems there isn't a
>>> solution to it,Macvim doesn't support imactivatekey.And I've tried set
>>> noime in vimrc,this setting does close IME whenever I switch to normal
>>> mode,but is also made IME in insert mode unavailable.Anyone has a
>>> solution to this problem?
>>
>> Try
>>
>> :set noimdisable
>>
>> (it seems I needed that) then explicitly set your input method (using the keyboard
>> layout menu) for Normal mode (e.g. to US), then go into insert mode and change it
>> (e.g. to Chinese), and from then on MacVim should automatically change it as you
>> go in and out of insert mode.
>>
>> I think!
>>
>> Ben.

Re: Macvim doesn't work properly with chinese input method

Jamie Xie
I disabled the "Draw marked text inline" option in Advanced Preferences,and added "set noimdisable" to vimrc,it can automatically switch to english when I return to normal mode.But there is still a problem: it doesn't remember the state of input method in insert mode,so when I change to insert mode the IME state is still English.But it's a lot better than before.

Thanks,Ben.

--
Jamie Xie
Sent with Sparrow

On Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Ben Schmidt wrote:

[...]

Björn Winckler
On 30 April 2011 10:07, Jamie Xie wrote:
> I disabled the "Draw marked text inline" option in Advanced Preferences,and
> added "set noimdisable" to vimrc,it can automatically switch to english when
> I return to normal mode.But there is still a problem: it doesn't remember
> the state of input method in insert mode,so when I change to insert mode the
> IME state is still English.But it's a lot better than before.

This should work.  I use it myself.  So, either something is strange
with your setup, or there is a bug in which case you have to help me
figure out what it is since I cannot reproduce.

Please try starting without any plugins etc. and see if that makes a difference:

$ mvim -u NONE -U NONE

Then in vim do ":set noimd", make sure the layout is english, enter
insert mode, switch layout manually, go to normal mode (it should
automatically switch back to english), switch to insert mode (it
should automatically switch back to the previous layout).

Failing that, what version of OS X are you using, which version of MacVim?

Also, instead of saying things like "input method in insert mode is
broken,can't input correctly",  please give me a full report on what
the problem is and how to reproduce, otherwise there is no hope that I
will ever be able to fix it!

Björn

On 30/04/11 7:02 PM, björn wrote:
> On 30 April 2011 10:07, Jamie Xie wrote:
>> I disabled the "Draw marked text inline" option in Advanced Preferences,and
>> added "set noimdisable" to vimrc,it can automatically switch to english when
>> I return to normal mode.But there is still a problem: it doesn't remember
>> the state of input method in insert mode,so when I change to insert mode the
>> IME state is still English.But it's a lot better than before.
>
> This should work.  I use it myself.

It works for me, too, though I'm using the experimental renderer and
have the inline marked text turned on. I use the pinyin Chinese input
method, as that's the only thing that I have a hope of even doing a
handful of characters with (I only learnt Chinese at primary school...).
But it does work, and MacVim changes layouts just fine. Maybe the
problem is with some other Chinese input method that I don't understand.

Ben.

Re: Macvim doesn't work properly with chinese input method

Jamie Xie
Ben,sorry for my delayed reply.It's strange that I didn't receive your
last two message in my Email.

I have followed your instructions to reproduce the problem and the
input method I am using is FIT,you can download it here(http://
dl.fit4.cn/FIT_2.2.1.dmg),my os x version is 10.6.7,Macvim version is
7.3

1.I open both the "use experimental renderer" and "draw marked text
inline" options in macvim's preference setting

2.restart macvim without any plugins and ":set noimd"

3.switch to insert mode and switch to Chinese IME,type "shenme" and
space bar,then I get "什么'me" on the screen,the expected result is "什
么",the "'me" is unwanted

4.uncheck "draw marked text inline" option,restart vim without plugins
and ":set noimd",switch to chinese IME,then type "shenme",the
candidate window pops up,but the characters "shenme" don't get printed
to the screen,so I get no clue what I've just typed.

5.uncheck "use experiemental renderer" option,restart and do the steps
above,everything works fine.

In either case I didn't encounter any IME switch problem anymore,I
think it is one of my plugins make the switch function broken.

hope I have described it clearly enough.