Macvim, iwork pages and encodings

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Macvim, iwork pages and encodings

consiglieri
Hi

If i save a text file, say text1.txt, that contains the following text
"påsk häre"  and look at it in quick preview it displays correctly.
BBedit also displays the text correctly.
The text editor displays the text correctly.
However iWork's pages does not display the umlauts correctly.

Apparently this is an encoding issue as far as I can tell.

I have tried :set fenc=utf-8 and also :set fenc=utf-16 to no avail.

The reason I'm asking is that sometimes i like to draft documents
using vim and then do the layout in pages. But this will not work if
pages does not correctly display the document. It's possible that this
is a "pages" issue and not a macvim issue, but since macvim can do
just about anything I thought perhaps there was something I was
missing.

Thanks

--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Macvim, iwork pages and encodings

PitPalme
Hi,

Am 23.08.2011 um 09:10 schrieb consiglieri:
>
> If i save a text file, say text1.txt, that contains the following text
> "påsk häre"  and look at it in quick preview it displays correctly.
> [...]
> However iWork's pages does not display the umlauts correctly.
>
> Apparently this is an encoding issue as far as I can tell.
>
> I have tried :set fenc=utf-8 and also :set fenc=utf-16 to no avail.

Try to set 'bomb' before saving as well. Over here it made Pages to recognize the encoding correctly.
Pages seems to recognize UTF-encodings only when a BOM is present ...
--
Regards,

Peter

--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Macvim, iwork pages and encodings

consiglieri
Thanks,
Exactly how do i set "bomb"?


On 23 Aug, 09:45, Peter Palmreuther <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 23.08.2011 um 09:10 schrieb consiglieri:
>
>
>
> > If i save a text file, say text1.txt, that contains the following text
> > "påsk häre"  and look at it in quick preview it displays correctly.
> > [...]
> > However iWork's pages does not display the umlauts correctly.
>
> > Apparently this is an encoding issue as far as I can tell.
>
> > I have tried :set fenc=utf-8 and also :set fenc=utf-16 to no avail.
>
> Try to set 'bomb' before saving as well. Over here it made Pages to recognize the encoding correctly.
> Pages seems to recognize UTF-encodings only when a BOM is present ...
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peter

--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Macvim, iwork pages and encodings

consiglieri
In reply to this post by PitPalme
Hi again,
I found out how.

If you have

set encoding=utf-8
set bomb

in the .gvimrc then pages displays the text correctly.
Many thanks for your help.



On 23 Aug, 09:45, Peter Palmreuther <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 23.08.2011 um 09:10 schrieb consiglieri:
>
>
>
> > If i save a text file, say text1.txt, that contains the following text
> > "påsk häre"  and look at it in quick preview it displays correctly.
> > [...]
> > However iWork's pages does not display the umlauts correctly.
>
> > Apparently this is an encoding issue as far as I can tell.
>
> > I have tried :set fenc=utf-8 and also :set fenc=utf-16 to no avail.
>
> Try to set 'bomb' before saving as well. Over here it made Pages to recognize the encoding correctly.
> Pages seems to recognize UTF-encodings only when a BOM is present ...
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peter

--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php