Macvim unable to open certain files

Aaron Dudek
If I try to use macvim to open a file with non-standard text file extension, file ending with .org, I get an error saying, in this case:
"README.org" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Not sure if this is OSX, I think it might be, or macvim.

OSX 10.10.1
macvim (snapshot 73)

Any thoughts?

Re: Macvim unable to open certain files

Douglas Drumond

If I try to use macvim to open a file with non-standard text file extension, file ending with .org, I get an error saying, in this case:
"README.org" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Not sure if this is OSX, I think it might be, or macvim.

OSX 10.10.1
macvim (snapshot 73)

Any thoughts?

I tried it here and succeeded. Try opening MacVim without files once to make OS X recognize it first. If you get “MacVim can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer”​ message, right click MacVim and choose “Open” from context menu. After that, you should be able to open files with MacVim without problems. Also, make sure you're using the same MacVim to open the file (in my case, sometimes I have one MacVim in /Applications, one in my Downloads folder, one I built in my Desktop and I get unintended results).

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 1:08:18 PM UTC-5, Douglas Drumond wrote:

> If I try to use macvim to open a file with non-standard text file extension, file ending with .org, I get an error saying, in this case:
>
> "README.org" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
>

> Not sure if this is OSX, I think it might be, or macvim.
>

> OSX 10.10.1
>
> macvim (snapshot 73)
>

> Any thoughts?
>

> I tried it here and succeeded. Try opening MacVim without files once to make OS X recognize it first. If you get “MacVim can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer”​ message, right click MacVim and choose “Open” from context menu. After that, you should be able to open files with MacVim without problems. Also, make sure you're using the same MacVim to open the file (in my case, sometimes I have one MacVim in /Applications, one in my Downloads folder, one I built in my Desktop and I get unintended results).
>

> ​--
> Douglas DrumondGDG Campinas
> ​
>
> D​ouglasDrumond.com RobotoDojo.com
> google.com/+DouglasDrumond – @douglasdrumond
I actually figured it out. It had an extended attribute that was causing the issue.
I used xattr to find out that
com.apple.quarantine
was set.