Makefile for vimoutliner

Matěj Cepl
When doing the last clean up before trying to post my RedHat/Fedora
package to Fedora/Extras, I finally decided that I should really make a
proper Makefile for vimoutliner and offer it here, so that we can
standardize more what are the proper places for different files to be
stored in. I am still slightly afraid of different scripts which would
require files in some particular places (unification could help), and it
might be good idea to synchronize with other distributions about putting
things according to FDSL (or what is the abbreviation of the directory
standard). I guess, that this is just a rough draft of the Makefile
(because it is done without any consideration for people installing to
$HOME/.vimoutliner or whatever). I also did not think about Windows
users -- I don't if they are using INSTALL script at all, but if they do
and they could get /bin/sh they should be able to get make as well (it
could be even easier to get make on Windows than /bin/sh, I guess).

What do you think?

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma<at>jabber.cz

We are told that [St. Anthony] once fell into dejection, finding
uninterrupted contemplation above his strength; but was taught to
apply himself at intervals to manual labour by a vision of an
angel who appeared platting mats of palm-tree leaves, then rising
to pray, and after some time sitting down again to work; and who
at length said to him, "Do thus, and thou shalt be saved."
-- Life of St. Anthony

vimoutliner-Makefile (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Makefile for vimoutliner

Noel Henson
Matej,

I like it. I'd like to make a few modifications so it doesn't overwrite
a user's custom setting if an upgrade occurs. I'd also like to add some
variables for the destination directory. Are these OK with you?  If so,
I can add the make file to version 0.4.0.

Noel

Noel Henson píše v St 29. 11. 2006 v 08:55 -0800:
> I like it. I'd like to make a few modifications so it doesn't overwrite
> a user's custom setting if an upgrade occurs. I'd also like to add some
> variables for the destination directory. Are these OK with you?  If so,
> I can add the make file to version 0.4.0.

Of course, they are right for me -- I meant this just as a draft
fulfilling all my needs, but I expect (and hope) that we could make it
into more universal thing, which could be eventually part of VO tarball.

Thanks a lot,

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma<at>jabber.cz

In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded
easily.
-- Charles, Count Talleyrand

On Thursday 30 November 2006 02:01, Matej Cepl wrote:

> Noel Henson pí?e v St 29. 11. 2006 v 08:55 -0800:
> > I like it. I'd like to make a few modifications so it doesn't
> > overwrite a user's custom setting if an upgrade occurs. I'd also like
> > to add some variables for the destination directory. Are these OK with
> > you?  If so, I can add the make file to version 0.4.0.
>
> Of course, they are right for me -- I meant this just as a draft
> fulfilling all my needs, but I expect (and hope) that we could make it
> into more universal thing, which could be eventually part of VO tarball.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Mat?j

My thoughts exactly. It's pretty easy to make the installer recognize what
distro it being run on so that presents little problem. I've got VMware so
I can run all the popular distros ('til I run out of drive space :) ).

Are you still creating the man pages by hand?

Noel

Noel Henson píše v Čt 30. 11. 2006 v 05:57 -0800:
> My thoughts exactly. It's pretty easy to make the installer recognize what
> distro it being run on so that presents little problem. I've got VMware so
> I can run all the popular distros ('til I run out of drive space :) ).
>
> Are you still creating the man pages by hand?

I have just copied manpages from Debian package, but yes, they were
hand-made (you should pay me more for it -- just look around the Prague
how much hand-crafted stuff is more expensive!).

Matěj

P.S.: BTW, posting through gmane.org still doesn't work.
--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma<at>jabber.cz

I would like to die sleeping, like my father rather than
screaming and helpless, like his passengers.

On Thursday 30 November 2006 07:29, Matej Cepl wrote:

> Noel Henson pí?e v ?t 30. 11. 2006 v 05:57 -0800:
> > My thoughts exactly. It's pretty easy to make the installer recognize
> > what distro it being run on so that presents little problem. I've got
> > VMware so I can run all the popular distros ('til I run out of drive
> > space :) ).
> >
> > Are you still creating the man pages by hand?
>
> I have just copied manpages from Debian package, but yes, they were
> hand-made (you should pay me more for it -- just look around the Prague
> how much hand-crafted stuff is more expensive!).

Hahahaha.

> Mat?j
>
> P.S.: BTW, posting through gmane.org still doesn't work.

I didn't create the gmane setup. Vim Outliner is becoming popular enough
that I'm having to maintain stuff I didn't setup and clean up messes that
I didn't make. I'll get to it when I can.

You know, it would be nice if there were some more help on some of this
stuff. Other than you doing the Debian package and someone else doing the
Gentoo install, I seem to be alone on the dev side of things. But it's
still fun. :)

Noel

Re: Makefile for vimoutliner

Steve Litt
On Thursday 30 November 2006 10:29, Matej Cepl wrote:
> I have just copied manpages from Debian package, but yes, they were
> hand-made (you should pay me more for it -- just look around the Prague
> how much hand-crafted stuff is more expensive!).
>
> Matěj

That shouldn't be a problem. Last month Noel authorized the VimOutliner
project to pay me 46% more than they'd been giving me before.

SteveT

Re: Makefile for vimoutliner

Steve Litt
On Thursday 30 November 2006 10:29, Matej Cepl wrote:

> P.S.: BTW, posting through gmane.org still doesn't work.

I didn't know that. When did it stop working through gmane.org? What would it
take to get it working again?

SteveT

Noel Henson píše v Čt 30. 11. 2006 v 08:04 -0800:
> I didn't create the gmane setup. Vim Outliner is becoming popular enough
> that I'm having to maintain stuff I didn't setup and clean up messes that
> I didn't make. I'll get to it when I can.

Was it me who screwed up? If yes, then could I as a token of my apology
try this
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.discuss/10308/

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma<at>jabber.cz

There are lies, damned lies, and quotes from literary icons.

Re: Makefile for vimoutliner

Matěj Cepl
Steve Litt scripst:
>> P.S.: BTW, posting through gmane.org still doesn't work.
>
> I didn't know that. When did it stop working through gmane.org? What would it
> take to get it working again?

Let's see, maybe it is fixed just now.

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma<at>jabber.cz
GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

A nuclear war can ruin your whole day.